AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Aug 31, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #4,309 of 4,614
Found this tutorial a while back. You can diy replacement if you're a bit handy...

looks like they are saying to heat it up. and it loosens the glue, and then you can pop the back cover off

so i could order a new screen and try it myself on my broken ap80

be nice if there was sceens on amazon for sale. i dont see any only protectors

but a person could get the screen and then not be able to get it apart. be alot easier of there was screws compared to glue

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #4,310 of 4,614
looks like they are saying to heat it up. and it loosens the glue, and then you can pop the back cover off

so i could order a new screen and try it myself on my broken ap80

be nice if there was sceens on amazon for sale. i dont see any only protectors

but a person could get the screen and then not be able to get it apart. be alot easier of there was screws compared to glue
Almost All Smartphones, and DAPs now use glue to hold the back on them. (And sometimes front too) It's not too difficult to remove backs from small devices using a hair dryer. On Larger Things like glass backs off Tablet PC's it's a pain to keep all the glue warm while slowly prying.

Yes, screws, or an access panel would be easier for repairs. But sadly most consumers are interested in lighter weight devices, than in easy to repair ones.

If not handy, any cell-phone repair shop can do these type of repairs if you can find the needed parts. A battery replacement should be a bit easier to find, and to do with not much more than removing the back.

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #4,311 of 4,614
Almost All Smartphones, and DAPs now use glue to hold the back on them. (And sometimes front too) It's not too difficult to remove backs from small devices using a hair dryer. On Larger Things like glass backs off Tablet PC's it's a pain to keep all the glue warm while slowly prying.

Yes, screws, or an access panel would be easier for repairs. But sadly most consumers are interested in lighter weight devices, than in easy to repair ones.

If not handy, any cell-phone repair shop can do these type of repairs if you can find the needed parts. A battery replacement should be a bit easier to find, and to do with not much more than removing the back.

It's finding the replacement battery that might be tricky. It's a custom size it seems.

Although a member said they managed to buy one from Hidizs directly, the Aliexpress store told me that they would not sell me a battery (this was about a week ago when I was probing to see how hard it would be to get new batteries).

If I decide to keep my ap80, when the battery runs out I'll consider having an extended case back 3D printed which would accept a larger and more standard battery. Maybe even a removable one. How neat would that be?

I'm not sure how hard/possible that would be, but I have friends who have printers and electronics expertise that I could ask.

It's finding the replacement battery that might be tricky. It's a custom size it seems.

Although a member said they managed to buy one from Hidizs directly, the Aliexpress store told me that they would not sell me a battery (this was about a week ago when I was probing to see how hard it would be to get new batteries).

If I decide to keep my ap80, when the battery runs out I'll consider having an extended case back 3D printed which would accept a larger and more standard battery. Maybe even a removable one. How neat would that be?

I'm not sure how hard/possible that would be, but I have friends who have printers and electronics expertise that I could ask.
Could just 3D print a case and remove the glass case back entirely. Then you could put a thicker battery in...

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #4,312 of 4,614
my ap80 pro with latest firmware crashes sometimes when i have the screen on and i switch songs and then hit the volume quickly afterwards

i have to wait like 15 seconds then go for volume

other days it wont do it. only some days

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #4,313 of 4,614
RIP my ApP80. The battery swelled so much it popped the back cover off.

Had to dispose of it before it became a more serious issue.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #4,314 of 4,614
RIP my ApP80. The battery swelled so much it popped the back cover off.

Had to dispose of it before it became a more serious issue.

the bigger batteries usually last longer because they last longer if you only use them in the middle 20 - 80 percent. so if the batteries are bigger its more likely that will happen

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #4,315 of 4,614
there is way to trade battery length for storage amount

if flac is set to level 8 it saves storage space but uses more battery for decompression

------

also smaller format alocation unit size on a micro sd card will slow down transfer speed but save storage space

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #4,318 of 4,614
Well, maybe I will go for the AP80 after all.

I have been through 2 HiBy R2's in less than 30 days. The first one had busted UI (no display at all after it turned on) and the headphone jack already went out on the second one! Is HiBy really this unreliable?

This was after my Shanling M0 died after not very many years of use.

The thing is, I really like the HiBY's sound. The descriptions of the sound signatures of the Hidzis AP80 and FiiO M5 (bright, metallic, forward mids) do not entice me.

Not sure what to do now.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #4,319 of 4,614
My AP80 pro doesn't sound bright, neither metallic, but better than my M0... more accurate.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #4,320 of 4,614
On a whim the other day I purchased an AP80 Pro and DH80 - I must say, considering I’m used to playing with much more expensive gear that this combination has seriously impressed me! I’ve definitely found my new TV watching BT setup (LDAC from Chromecast) - sounds quite a lot more engaging than the FiiO Q5 I have been using for this duty up to now!

Colour me impressed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back