AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Aug 25, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #4,291 of 4,614
Aug 26, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #4,292 of 4,614
Has anyone compared the AP80 Pro to the HiBy R2?

My Shanling M0 has died, and I will not be buying another because I was disappointed with the build quality. After only two years of owning it, the screen turned white and remained that way, the volume/on-off knob broke (never dropped), and it is no longer recognized by any computer of mine.

So I am on the hunt for a new ultra-small DAP that does LDAC Bluetooth, has an SD card slot, and sounds good (prefer neutral sound to bright or warm).

The HiBy is more in line with the price that I paid for the Shanling, perhaps a bit cheaper.

Any thoughts are much appreciated! Thank you!

-ap80, -hiby r2, -shanling m0, and -fiio m5 are all very similar

ap80 has replaygain, so if u add replaygain tags to your files then you have perfect volume. i dont know if the others have it

also ap80 has folder view.

both of those are a must for me

my folder structure on my music is so good i dont even need metadata. i always use folder view

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #4,294 of 4,614
if you like ambient you might like TYCHO, he is very popular.

I have most of Tycho's releases. I have hundreds and hundreds of ambient albums from the 70s (Eno) up to today. Ambient isn't my primary music style, but for reading and going to sleep it's perfect. There was even a period years ago where I was deeply in the Dan Gibson's Solitudes releases.

Game soundtracks are probably the last area that I've gotten into. I'm really into the Ghosts of Tsushima soundtracks right now, not to mention the Star CItizen score.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #4,295 of 4,614
I have most of Tycho's releases. I have hundreds and hundreds of ambient albums from the 70s (Eno) up to today. Ambient isn't my primary music style, but for reading and going to sleep it's perfect. There was even a period years ago where I was deeply in the Dan Gibson's Solitudes releases.

Game soundtracks are probably the last area that I've gotten into. I'm really into the Ghosts of Tsushima soundtracks right now, not to mention the Star CItizen score.

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #4,296 of 4,614
Aug 26, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #4,297 of 4,614
-ap80, -hiby r2, -shanling m0, and -fiio m5 are all very similar

ap80 has replaygain, so if u add replaygain tags to your files then you have perfect volume. i dont know if the others have it

also ap80 has folder view.

both of those are a must for me

my folder structure on my music is so good i dont even need metadata. i always use folder view
Thank you. How about in terms of sound quality and and build quality? Is the AP 80 the most neutral of those players?

I'm not a big FiiO fan.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #4,298 of 4,614
I'm not a big FiiO fan.
I have DAPs from most Chinese manufacturers... Not sure WHY you're not a big fan of FiiO, but personally I would choose FiiO over Hidizs in a heartbeat!

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #4,299 of 4,614
Aug 27, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #4,300 of 4,614
Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #4,302 of 4,614
I had two generations of the FiiO X3 and absolutely hated the sound.

Does the M5 have a different sound signature?
X3-II was the very first audiophile DAP that I bought!!!
Still got it...
Definitely NOT a TOTL DAP, but still a nice little DAP (IMHO).

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #4,303 of 4,614
X3-II was the very first audiophile DAP that I bought!!!
Still got it...
Definitely NOT a TOTL DAP, but still a nice little DAP (IMHO).
I ended up ordering the HiBy R2 from Amazon yesterday.

I actually was prepared to put my feelings on FiiO aside and try out the M5, but it is out of stock and isn't expected back in for months! So I went with the R2 instead. In comparison to AP80, I was swayed by the R2's lack of a wheel volume control (which I have found to be one of two achilles heels of the Shanling M0), the higher-level Bluetooth capabilities, the smaller form factor, and the less expensive price. Hoping for the best!

If I don't like the R2 after spending some time with it, perhaps the FiiO M5 will be back in stock by that point.

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #4,304 of 4,614
I own HiBy R3 and R6 (original).
I strongly suspect you'd like your new R2 :) Enjoy!

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #4,305 of 4,614

I actually was prepared to put my feelings on FiiO aside and try out the M5, but it is out of stock and isn't expected back in for months! So I went with the R2 instead. In comparison to AP80, I was swayed by the R2's lack of a wheel volume control (which I have found to be one of two achilles heels of the Shanling M0), the higher-level Bluetooth capabilities, the smaller form factor, and the less expensive price. Hoping for the best!

If I don't like the R2 after spending some time with it, perhaps the FiiO M5 will be back in stock by that point.

in order for me to use a dap i need replaygain, folder view, and neutral sound, let me know if the r2 has those features

i like ap80 but it would be nice to have bt 5.1 and and an equalizer that doesnt lower the volume when you use it, and a bigger screen and battery. i might go wtih the sony a55 eventaully i dunno. but overall i like most things about the ap80

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back