AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Sep 2, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #4,006 of 4,614
what work have you done on your meta data up until now? anything?

if not then its your files that are the problem.

you expect music files to have perfect meta data? haha not in a million years

every single place you get music from will have different meta data on their files, and some will have none at all

then you just blame the device? that stupid.

i have over 16 000 songs downloaded a million difference places and never even once have i encountered perfect meta data without me having to change something.

get real

ap80 works fine

besides playing music from meta data is crap anyway, on any device, you should organize via folders and play directly from the sd card.

no matter how much money you spend you can never escape the need to learn. first thing i did when i bought my 3000$ laptop was reinstall the operating system. no electronic device in existence can save you from problems caused by your own ignorance or laziness.

Only 16000 tracks? :wink:

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,007 of 4,614
I had a sony Walkman before and the same music files were scanned correctly,and all files played without problem.Exactly the same files on the same sd card.
So is the Sony some kind of magic dap??
It seems the old guard of music players (Sony being one of the last standing, after Creative, Rio, and others gave up) were more forgiving of metadata inconsistencies, and put some effort into handling errors gracefully. The current generation of DAP makers are catering almost exclusively to a more technical-minded crowd, albeit a much smaller one than in the pre-smartphone and pre-streaming days. They seem to assume that anyone buying a purpose-built music player today must not have a problem dealing with finicky software, a lack of ease-of-use features that used to be the norm, and general lack of customer service post-sale. I miss having a real company willing to stand behind a product, but this is what we have now, outside of the Android-based DAPs - twiddly firmware and infrequent fixes.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #4,008 of 4,614
It seems the old guard of music players (Sony being one of the last standing, after Creative, Rio, and others gave up) were more forgiving of metadata inconsistencies, and put some effort into handling errors gracefully. The current generation of DAP makers are catering almost exclusively to a more technical-minded crowd, albeit a much smaller one than in the pre-smartphone and pre-streaming days. They seem to assume that anyone buying a purpose-built music player today must not have a problem dealing with finicky software, a lack of ease-of-use features that used to be the norm, and general lack of customer service post-sale. I miss having a real company willing to stand behind a product, but this is what we have now, outside of the Android-based DAPs - twiddly firmware and infrequent fixes.
I have current model DAPs from Hiby, Fiio and Cowon. Also use Neutron, USB Audio Pro and Hiby players on Android based devices. Of all of these, Hiby is the only DAP/player that trips up on metadata, won't scan the database and crashes. So in my experience, it's only Hiby's database scanning that is finicky; the other current generation players are much more forgiving with metadata problems, headers or other garbage in the music files. I'm now trying metadata scanning programs to see if they'll clean-up the stuff that confuses Hiby.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #4,009 of 4,614
Only 16000 tracks? :wink:

10 years ago i ended up homeless, so i lost most of my music.

i was only able to backup my electronic-chillout folder to a cloud before hand.

then i was homeless for 6 years and luckily i was able to get it back.

later i got a sony walkman and beefed up my music to about 3000

then throughout the last year, after i got the ap80, i beefed it up to 25 000, but deleted about 9000 since then, because i dont like saving any tracks i dont like

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #4,010 of 4,614
I have current model DAPs from Hiby, Fiio and Cowon. Also use Neutron, USB Audio Pro and Hiby players on Android based devices. Of all of these, Hiby is the only DAP/player that trips up on metadata, won't scan the database and crashes. So in my experience, it's only Hiby's database scanning that is finicky; the other current generation players are much more forgiving with metadata problems, headers or other garbage in the music files. I'm now trying metadata scanning programs to see if they'll clean-up the stuff that confuses Hiby.

you can drag your mp3's into a program called mpTrim pro which will fix some issues automatically

then drag all your files into tagscanner program and highlight all and hit save, which will fix some meta data

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #4,012 of 4,614
Very good info. What I really wonder is just how many know who Buckethead is?

i went through all his stuff a few times, and ended up with about 25 hours of flacs i liked

hes put out alot of stuff, most i dont like, it lacks melody. but 25 hours is still more then i have for any other artist.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #4,014 of 4,614
smashed the screen on my ap80 today, got in on sale exactly 1 year ago

i just ordered a black ap80 PRO, arrives in 6 days

image.png

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #4,016 of 4,614
You're not supposed to play hackey sack with it! :)

if i would've had a case and a screen protector it might have survived

but i fell off my bike and smashed it really hard on the sidewalk

almost bought a FiiO m5, but decided to go with the black ap80 PRO instead

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #4,017 of 4,614
So my ap80 wheel has now completely fallen off. Sadly it’s out of warranty and Hidiz wants me to ship it to China and then they’ll quote me a repair price. I’ll pay for shipping both ways. Anyone sent in a unit for repair and what it may cost to repair and ship?

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #4,018 of 4,614
So my ap80 wheel has now completely fallen off. Sadly it’s out of warranty and Hidiz wants me to ship it to China and then they’ll quote me a repair price. I’ll pay for shipping both ways. Anyone sent in a unit for repair and what it may cost to repair and ship?

if the cost is really high might be able to get a FiiO m5 player instead

they are cheap but good quality, and have no wheel

i had my ap80 for one year. wheel was fine the whole time. but i use replaygain tags so i hardly ever turn the volume

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #4,019 of 4,614
had my ap80 over one year now and wheel is fine, even dropped it 3 times.

alot of devices just use buttons instead of a wheel. which might be a safer way to go
That’s my plan. I’ll check out the fiio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back