AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Nov 4, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #3,423 of 4,614
Nov 4, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #3,424 of 4,614
the AP80 charges at 800mAh and goes down as it is getting charged.

well it seems my real life test is putting some doubt onto what you said before. when i charge the ap80 from my usb 3 port on my laptop (usb 3 is rated at 5V0.9A) it takes about 2hrs10min to reach 100%.

But i just charged from my 5V2.4A wall charger and it only took 1hr20min to reach 100%

so this test kinda confirms my initial belief that the charger is pushing the amps into the battery, or perhaps that maybe the battery controller on the ap80 can take more then 0.8A draw as you saw on your meter tool. and this is perhaps why hidizs recommended 5V2A.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #3,425 of 4,614
Have you actually measured how many amps does it draws?

I did, with my PortaPow USB meter.
Batteries are not a load when it isn't charging.

Earlier I believe you were suggesting that you can't charge an 800mah battery off a 800mah source because it wouldn't charge.
The circuitry of the device can't possibly drain that much because the AP80 does Not have a battery life of one hour.

As for the charging speed, the slower you charge a battery, the better. if you have it sitting overnight charging anyway, charging as slow as the whole time you sleep is preferable to charging very quickly, as it significantly reduces the total cycles the battery can provide over its lifetime.
It doesn't matter that hidizs says its accpetable or whatever. if you charge a device relatively faster, it will do more damage to the battery.
Fast charging is also bad for phones too. If you further want to increase your batteries life, don't go above 80% or below 20%. charge.

After reading three pages of arguments about batteries where very little true information was shared, I had an urge to clear it up.

Also, keep things more on topic.
Ps, I'm keen for this AP80 pro

Nov 4, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #3,426 of 4,614
Batteries are not a load when it isn't charging.

Earlier I believe you were suggesting that you can't charge an 800mah battery off a 800mah source because it wouldn't charge.
The circuitry of the device can't possibly drain that much because the AP80 does Not have a battery life of one hour.

As for the charging speed, the slower you charge a battery, the better. if you have it sitting overnight charging anyway, charging as slow as the whole time you sleep is preferable to charging very quickly, as it significantly reduces the total cycles the battery can provide over its lifetime.
It doesn't matter that hidizs says its accpetable or whatever. if you charge a device relatively faster, it will do more damage to the battery.
Fast charging is also bad for phones too. If you further want to increase your batteries life, don't go above 80% or below 20%. charge.

After reading three pages of arguments about batteries where very little true information was shared, I had an urge to clear it up.

Also, keep things more on topic.
Ps, I'm keen for this AP80 pro

so why does using a charger with more amps charge a battery faster? the other guy said it wouldnt. he said the draw is controlled by the device.

also i thought it was good to completely exhaust batteries at least occasionally and charge them from 0 to 100

so your saying i should charge my ap80 from my usb port as often as i can and not my 2.4amp chargers? maybe i will save those in case i need a quick charge

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #3,427 of 4,614
so why does using a charger with more amps charge a battery faster? the other guy said it wouldnt. he said the draw is controlled by the device.

also i thought it was good to completely exhaust batteries at least occasionally and charge them from 0 to 100

so your saying i should charge my ap80 from my usb port as often as i can and not my 2.4amp chargers? maybe i will save those in case i need a quick charge

Because if you charge it with a PC USB port, it is detected as Data and will consume just 500mA or less. Using a charger will make it draw 800mAh or less. It depends on the battery level.

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #3,428 of 4,614

The battery circuitry reduces current flow.
The source provides the current flow.
The charger providing 2400mah would charge the 800mah battery in 20 minutes if not for the resistor. The resistor is linear, as higher and lower power chargers still cause a difference in the rate of charge accordingly.

Full battery cycles used to be done on NiCad batteries which have a memory effect, which does not apply to Lipo's.
lipo prefer hovering around the 3.8v mark (storage voltage)

Yes, I do recommend that. lowest charge current possible is for the best.
(sorry for sloppy comment, as this is the third time I have written this, as head fi has failed to post it twice. angy face)

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #3,430 of 4,614
t is detected as Data and will consume just 500mA or less. Using a charger will make it draw 800mAh or less

what if i change the ap80 from storage to dock mode?

storage charges and gives access to micro sd card. but dock only charges.

would dock mode allow the full 800ma ??

i will test it next time i charge

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #3,431 of 4,614
what if i change the ap80 from storage to dock mode?

storage charges and gives access to micro sd card. but dock only charges.

would dock mode allow the full 800ma ??

i will test it next time i charge

It is still in data mode. It seems to expose an ADB-like connection. At least my PC detects it like that. Dock mode is meant to be used on products like the Hidizs DH1000/Tempotec Sonata iDSD/iDSD Plus, Serenade, and probably other products using a HiBy USB master chip. They all seem to use a Hiby HBD150A.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #3,432 of 4,614
Because if you charge it with a PC USB port, it is detected as Data and will consume just 500mA or less. Using a charger will make it draw 800mAh or less. It depends on the battery level.

if its still only putting 800ma from the wall charger to give me a 1hr20min charge then it shouldnt shorten the lifespan relative to the usb ports 500ma

so can i trust the wall charger not to shorten my battery lifespan?

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #3,433 of 4,614
That's what happens when there is lack of info or anything to share about the upcoming AP80Pro, the thread turns into a bizarro "battery charging" world with a lot of confusing and contradicting info :D

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #3,434 of 4,614
the thread turns into a bizarro "battery charging" world with a lot of confusing and contradicting info

well i got a 2hr10min charge off the usb 3 port (5v0.9a) and a 1hr20min charge off the 5v2.4a wall charger

the other guys theory that it was only putting 0.5a off the usb port and 0.8a off the wall charger works to explain that difference i got.

since he also says it will never pull more then 0.8a

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #3,435 of 4,614
Just unravelled this little box of tricks

Build quality seems really good, love the size of the dap (had an m1 and an m0 before). No scanning issues of my 128gb SD card - however I am pretty meticulous with my tagging and art. Plugged in moondrop kxxs and hit play, sounds like a pretty good combo to my ears. Had a play through the menus and looks like the ap80 has a lot of tricks in its box which I'll get used to in due course.

Happy so far on initial impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back