AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Sep 10, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #4,051 of 4,614
Thanks, that's what I did I think. I click on "Files", then Micro SD card. I can then select a file and it will play all the files in the directory, and then in the next directory.
My question was a to play from a selected root directory.

If my SD card is organise like this
mp3/DirectoryA/AlbumA/
mp3/DirectoryA/AlbumB/
mp3/DirectoryB/AlbumA/
mp3/DirectoryB/AlbumB/
mp3/DirectoryB/AlbumC/
How to play all files in the DirectoryB ?

It's not a tag problem, just understanding how to play with the files.

if you have play through folders option ON then you can start playing in the directory and it will move to the next folder after each folder automatically

so then it will play all the folders that are in that folder

otherwise you could give all the albums a same tag with tagscanner program, then play by that tag

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #4,054 of 4,614
..after a few months I tested my AP80 again... but I cannot connect with my PC, usb connect is active, any kind of drivers needed? I didn't find any....

u have to put ap80 into dac mode

you can check sound control panel in windows, but sound should be going to usb > ap80 > headphones

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #4,058 of 4,614
Thanks, I will try this as I'm not interested in using the Genre tag in general (it's to restrictive for me to have to choose a style on music).
I'm on Mac and use with success Meta to manage mp3 tag.

i sort all my music by genre folders, because i listen according to what mood im in

i start with main genre folders then put sub genre folders in those, then band folders, then album folders, with the year in front of the album name

for example here is sub genre folders i have inside a root folder called ELECTRONIC

image.png

inside those sub genre folders are the band folders

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #4,060 of 4,614
Good argument.
I'm not that fun : Artist / Abum (Year) /

smarter to put year ahead of album name, like this

image.png

at the top you can see i have ROCK as a root genre folder, then GRUNGE as a sub genre folder in that

using play through folders option ON i can play each album chronologically and continuously

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #4,061 of 4,614
smarter to put year ahead of album name, like this
That was how I previously managed my library, I will probably reorganize it in its way. However it's not always easy to find an album by name for artist with large discography.
I was a fan of automatic management of iTunes for that, to keep some decade playlist.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #4,062 of 4,614
That was how I previously managed my library, I will probably reorganize it in its way. However it's not always easy to find an album by name for artist with large discography.
I was a fan of automatic management of iTunes for that, to keep some decade playlist.

you can find all information on google and discogs and wikipedia for which song go in which album and what year etc...

create all your folders from that

then you can fix all your meta tag data to match with tagscanner

turn on play thorugh folders and play through albums options

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #4,063 of 4,614
Connecting AP80 and Chord Qute

I've just bought an AP80 to use as a digital transport to get away from regular sound breakup issues since upgrading to Windows 10. I have three DACS and have no problem connecting the AP80 to two of them. However, it fails to recognise the Chord Qute, which is frustrating as it's my DAC of choice and I've been seriously thinking of getting a Qutest next year.

Has anybody else come across this issue and is there a solution? I've run a search for Chord and Qute on this thread and can see nothing to suggest it should be a problem, with Hugo and Mojo both getting a mention as being compatable. I've also spoken to Hidizs and Chord and they say any decent OTG adapter or cable should do the job.

I've bought two USB adapters so far, the first before I received the AP80 and I was unaware of OTG requirement. The second was advertised as OTG but made no mention of that on the packaging. However, both work with the other DACS, so are presumably OTG compliant. I have now ordered an iFi OTG cable, more in hope than expectation.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #4,064 of 4,614
Connecting AP80 and Chord Qute

I've just bought an AP80 to use as a digital transport to get away from regular sound breakup issues since upgrading to Windows 10. I have three DACS and have no problem connecting the AP80 to two of them. However, it fails to recognise the Chord Qute, which is frustrating as it's my DAC of choice and I've been seriously thinking of getting a Qutest next year.

Has anybody else come across this issue and is there a solution? I've run a search for Chord and Qute on this thread and can see nothing to suggest it should be a problem, with Hugo and Mojo both getting a mention as being compatable. I've also spoken to Hidizs and Chord and they say any decent OTG adapter or cable should do the job.

I've bought two USB adapters so far, the first before I received the AP80 and I was unaware of OTG requirement. The second was advertised as OTG but made no mention of that on the packaging. However, both work with the other DACS, so are presumably OTG compliant. I have now ordered an iFi OTG cable, more in hope than expectation.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew.

ap80 works with otg, i have used it. i have played music off of a usb-a flash drive

here is some compiled tips
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap8...es-music-player.878141/page-221#post-15250661

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #4,065 of 4,614
ap80 works with otg, i have used it. i have played music off of a usb-a flash drive

here is some compiled tips
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap8...es-music-player.878141/page-221#post-15250661

Thanks for that.

I'm listening to the AP80 right now, playing through another desktop DAC, which is what is so puzzling and frustrating. Why does the AP80 connect with two of my DACs, but not the Qute?

I thought I read something a few days ago that said Hidizs recommend using OTG for outputting to an external DAC, which suggests it might not be necessary in all cases. I can't find the article now to confirm or otherwise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back