AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Aug 13, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #122 of 4,614
I will have one of these very shortly and will get some thoughts up. I will also compare it with a few other devices I have.
Awesome! Can't wait to hear your impressions. Just picked up an ap200 and not a huge fan of the sound signature, my little m0 has a much richer warmer sound, but the ap200 is stunningly well built.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #127 of 4,614
A 24$ discount over a 139$ MSRP does not seem to be a good deal, taking into account all the uncertainties related with a new product launch, even more if we take into consideration that putting the money into a Kickstarter project you are not buying a product. Too bad. I don't see any advantage of being a guinea pig, when we all know that, sooner or later, they will be selling units in stock at a similar price point.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #128 of 4,614
I'm just hoping this isn't another AP200... while the AP200 sounds great the software support has been lacking. I'm giving Hidizs some leeway as the AP200 was there first Android based DAP though. Hopefully the reviewers get the devices around or before the KS campaign starts.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #131 of 4,614
A 24$ discount over a 139$ MSRP does not seem to be a good deal, taking into account all the uncertainties related with a new product launch, even more if we take into consideration that putting the money into a Kickstarter project you are not buying a product. Too bad. I don't see any advantage of being a guinea pig, when we all know that, sooner or later, they will be selling units in stock at a similar price point.

I should have the sample in a couple of days, I'd do my best to give a honest feedback.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #132 of 4,614
I'm just hoping this isn't another AP200... while the AP200 sounds great the software support has been lacking. I'm giving Hidizs some leeway as the AP200 was there first Android based DAP though. Hopefully the reviewers get the devices around or before the KS campaign starts.

It is based on HibyOS which we are familiar with from AP60 series DAPs.... Steady, good. AP200 initial flaws were caused by using Android OS...

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #133 of 4,614
Wow, well at $139 or around £100 I'll definitely be in!

I recently picked up a second hand AP200 for the same price which is a bargain too good to resist - and I personally loved everything about it - EXCEPT for the sound. To me it's just lacking in the lower end a bit, I much prefer the sound signature from the M0, the AP200 just sounds a little lifeless in comparison. I think some of the criticism is overly harsh of it. As a music player it's pretty damn good, I've had no issues with the Hiby software which I love, I've not used the bluetooth and I do understand some people being a bit miffed as some promised features don't work - but for what I use it for it's a killer bit of kit for the money.

To some people the more flat signature is probably a bonus, but for me the sort of music I listen to just sounds lifeless without a decent punchy lower end. My Campfire Comets for instance sound shockingly lifeless through it in comparison to the M0. My Beyer 770s on the other hand are fine with a decent bottom end, but not as gutsy and rumbly as the M0 either - so I guess your opinion will depend on the phones you're using with it.

Other than that it's a great a player that I can't fault, and the fact it runs android is a great bonus to get more use out of it than just music. It's just quite big and heavy to pocket - at least the stainless steel version weighs a ton anyway (which is a testament to the stunning build quality - but not the most pocketable).

However the AP80 uses the exact same DAC chip as the M0 - so it should sound amazing - and that alone is pretty much a deal clincher for me. I think I'll be going for the kickstarter for sure, and then selling on either the 80 or 200 when I've given them a good side by side run through.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #134 of 4,614
Damn! Thought the AP80 would replace My Sony for running around and ball playing. Really 145grams?? Misprint?? Sony is right on the line too much at 98 grams that it is noticeable. An M0 plus my A45 plus a AA battery is the weight of the AP80. Hmmm. Why stainless steel Hidiz lol?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back