Anyone tried out the new THX Onyx?
Jun 10, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #76 of 143
Anyone with an onyx tried pairing with some etymotic ER4? (sr or XR) . Could be a nice neutral sounding combo. For home listening, my Alessandro MS-1's (re-bodied with paduak wood and re cabled with silver wire), paired with the onyx, sound absolutely divine with good source material.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #79 of 143
Anyone with an onyx tried pairing with some etymotic ER4? (sr or XR) . Could be a nice neutral sounding combo. For home listening, my Alessandro MS-1's (re-bodied with paduak wood and re cabled with silver wire), paired with the onyx, sound absolutely divine with good source material.
My FA1 (similar sound signature as Etymotics) work nicely with the Onyx. I don't think it's really better than any decent USB dongle as these are pretty easy to drive but it just works fine. I did find out that a dongle brings a bit of low-end energy with those single armature designs.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #81 of 143
i'm also a little wary of 3rd party products and would prefer if apple just sells the lightning to usb-c adapter

The newer iPads are already USB-C. Probably the iPhones will follow soon.

THX even warns about not using the camera adapter that has both the USB-A and Lightning ports because it doesn’t work with the Onyx. Only the “simpler” adapter (the one with only one USB-A port) works. I have both Apple adapters and I can confirm this. This is kinda stupid because I’d love to be able to charge the phone simultaneously. So I really don’t know about non-Apple adapters. But if they work, fine.

Jun 15, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #82 of 143
I belive Apple puts a voodoo hex on all non apple connectors - making them all fail eventually. So I never trust them.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #83 of 143
Jul 2, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #85 of 143
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #86 of 143
Can you relay the details to update the firmware? I’m planning on doing it tonight. Any noticeable difference? Thanks.

edit: just clicked the link and saw it’s only for PC. No update for Mac yet?
I do not have the THX Onyx. I was curious about updating its firmware, so I searched for instructions.

The page at https://www.thx.com/support/ says a Mac version is in development.

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #87 of 143
Can you relay the details to update the firmware? I’m planning on doing it tonight. Any noticeable difference? Thanks.

edit: just clicked the link and saw it’s only for PC. No update for Mac yet?
FWIW, I did the firmware update on a W10 machine, as instructed, since there’s no macOS updater. The process went w/o a hitch. No discernible difference in SQ as a result.

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #88 of 143
Please post your comments if you've tried it out. Thanks

https://www.thx.com/onyx/
I have them right now and they are great for my Shure SE846.

My reference DAC is the LG V30+ tuned by Bang and Olufsen.

I am not a pro at reviewing stuff so all I do is find a 90 second stretch of a number of songs and, I switch back and forth between my Pixel 5 with the Onyx and the V30. I only use Tidal Master songs.

I just can't find much difference between the two.

If anyone wants one of the best DAC's around then get on of the LG phones. The V30 is the only one tuned bt B&O and I prefer it over my G8 ThinQ. They are old Android so they are only to be used as a DAC.

I bought the Onyx because I wanted sonething small.

Cons
1. The volume increments are too large. If I just want a tiny increase in volume I get too much.
2. When 1st connected the Onyx doesn't play sounds. I have to next to the next song and then go back to the song I want.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back