Anyone tried out the new THX Onyx?
Jul 21, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #106 of 143
Congratulations and enjoy.
The cable seems to be very sturdy but I am still a little careful when using it.
Hi Ichos, you are very in tune with my tastes and I like your reviews.

I now have an iBasso DC05 and I'm looking at THX Onyx - other dongles too, but I would prefer MQA renderer.

You have reviewed both DC05 and Onyx with five stars, do you think the Onyx is better anyway?

DC05 sounds very good, but I find it perhaps a bit too energetic in the treble, and I also have some headphones that are already bright enough for which I would like a little less emphasis and energy in the treble.

Jul 21, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #107 of 143
Hi Ichos, you are very in tune with my tastes and I like your reviews.

I now have an iBasso DC05 and I'm looking at THX Onyx - other dongles too, but I would prefer MQA renderer.

You have reviewed both DC05 and Onyx with five stars, do you think the Onyx is better anyway?

DC05 sounds very good, but I find it perhaps a bit too energetic in the treble, and I also have some headphones that are already bright enough for which I would like a little less emphasis and energy in the treble.
Hi, thank you very much for liking my reviews.
If you find the DC05 a bit too energetic in the treble then the Onyx will not be your cup of tea.
I would strongly suggest to try the Shanling UA3, the Cayin RU6 or iFi Go bar.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/shanling-ua3-portable-dac-amp.25836/review/28865/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-ru6-discrete-r-2r-usb-c-dac-amp.25607/review/28176/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ifi-go-bar.25909/review/28688/

Somewhere I read that you are going to pair it with the Sundara, so you need a powerful dongle.

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #108 of 143
Hi, thank you very much for liking my reviews.
If you find the DC05 a bit too energetic in the treble then the Onyx will not be your cup of tea.
I would strongly suggest to try the Shanling UA3, the Cayin RU6 or iFi Go bar.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/shanling-ua3-portable-dac-amp.25836/review/28865/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-ru6-discrete-r-2r-usb-c-dac-amp.25607/review/28176/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ifi-go-bar.25909/review/28688/

Somewhere I read that you are going to pair it with the Sundara, so you need a powerful dongle.
Actually I found that the bit too harsh treble problem was caused by the newly purchased Sundaras, they probably needed a minimum of burn-in, now I don't feel those painful treble anymore.

I have only one problem with iBasso DC05, frequent dropouts when playing MQA on Tidal, even offline with downloaded music.

I don't know if it's a device issue, but dropout with MQA seems like a common problem, reading on the web.

Does this happen to anyone with THX Onyx too?

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #109 of 143
Actually I found that the bit too harsh treble problem was caused by the newly purchased Sundaras, they probably needed a minimum of burn-in, now I don't feel those painful treble anymore.

I have only one problem with iBasso DC05, frequent dropouts when playing MQA on Tidal, even offline with downloaded music.

I don't know if it's a device issue, but dropout with MQA seems like a common problem, reading on the web.

Does this happen to anyone with THX Onyx too?
Ps. Does THX Onyx have its own volume control when used on Android, or do you have to simply control the volume from your smartphone with Android's 15 predefined steps?

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #110 of 143
Ps. Does THX Onyx have its own volume control when used on Android, or do you have to simply control the volume from your smartphone with Android's 15 predefined steps?
The volume is controlled from the app, there are no controls on the onyx.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #113 of 143
How is the volume control? How many steps are there? I read some criticism that the steps are too big, with the risk of going from too quiet to too high with a single step.

THX Onyx is amazing. Great clarity and sound stage with no coloration. No control buttons on the unit.

I’m driving it of an iPhone in which you have 16 steps from mute to full volume. I have never experienced uncomfortable increase in volume, in fact it is very gradual.

The only step, which I still sometimes forget, is: if I have my IEMs directly connected to the phone and I’m listening at 75% volume, if I decide to connect the Onyx, I MUST remember to lower the volume before hitting play again. This is where you want to be careful. Otherwise, great DAC, worth every penny.

I also use it with Spotify and Tidal MQA (light changes according to resolution). No issues at all. Just great.

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #115 of 143
not knocking it down that much. just saying some people might prefer ifi hip dac, topping nx4, btr5, m6, q5k or es100 more up their alley for the price. somebody wanting the simplicity of a dongle and willing to pay $200 for one of the best if not the best would not hesitate on the onyx. if it pushed 300 ohms well, I was actually going to keep an eye on it for a sale maybe. after I get my topping nx4 my note 9 will become the source for that and I'm going to a galaxy s9 and a dongle that measures that well would be worthwhile but I have 3 other wireless "dongles" so I will pass. I will probably mention the onyx to somebody not wanting to give apple $9. :L3000:
I use the hip DAC to feed the HD700's. Couldn't be happier. That hip DAC really slams not t even using the xbass.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #116 of 143
How is the volume control? How many steps are there? I read some criticism that the steps are too big, with the risk of going from too quiet to too high with a single step.
The steps with Tidal in exclusive mode are 17 from mute to full volume.
Regarding power output, the Sundara get loud enough but the definitely need more current.
IMG_20220725_222126.jpg

Aug 8, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #117 of 143
Added Onyx to my collection alongside Xduoo Link 2 and Qudelix 5K. Clean sound, very resolving with a lot of power. The device is very well made. Got it for half the price, very satisfied overall. I think it sounds best with full size cans. Sound is clear and detailed with my HD518s which are far from the TOTL cans.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #118 of 143
Added Onyx to my collection alongside Xduoo Link 2 and Qudelix 5K. Clean sound, very resolving with a lot of power. The device is very well made. Got it for half the price, very satisfied overall. I think it sounds best with full size cans. Sound is clear and detailed with my HD518s which are far from the TOTL cans.

How does the Onyx compare to the Qudelix 5K?

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #119 of 143
To my ears it is better than Xduoo Link 2. As far as Q5k goes they sound similarly clean and clear because of the ESS DACs. I also think that THX amp makes music sound dynamic. Hard to explain but something along the lines of having deeper more resolving lows vs shallow. I've had and tried Monoprice Monolith THX portable amp/DAC. I liked it, it had plenty of power with the same dynamic signature. But unfortunately it had a pretty audible hiss with my IEMs and had to go. Q5k and Onyx are pitch black silent in the background. Q5k has a truck load of other useful and cool features that make it special.
If you are choosing between the two it is Onyx for simplicity and Q5k if you want features. Difference in sound will be minor if any at all. With Q5k beign on top because of the extremely powerful app.

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #120 of 143
To my ears it is better than Xduoo Link 2. As far as Q5k goes they sound similarly clean and clear because of the ESS DACs. I also think that THX amp makes music sound dynamic. Hard to explain but something along the lines of having deeper more resolving lows vs shallow. I've had and tried Monoprice Monolith THX portable amp/DAC. I liked it, it had plenty of power with the same dynamic signature. But unfortunately it had a pretty audible hiss with my IEMs and had to go. Q5k and Onyx are pitch black silent in the background. Q5k has a truck load of other useful and cool features that make it special.
If you are choosing between the two it is Onyx for simplicity and Q5k if you want features. Difference in sound will be minor if any at all. With Q5k beign on top because of the extremely powerful app.
Actually I already own the 5k, however there is something that does not convince me about the SQ, I often hear it sound congested and very mid-center. Sometimes I find myself turning up the volume in the most engaging musical parts but as I increase the sound worsens to my ears, something that does not happen with the BTR5 which I perceive it more detailed and airy even at higher volumes even if it tends to become brighter than the 5k. I agree with you about the Qudelix App, it is fantastic, as is its bluetooth range that allows me to travel anywhere in my home with great signal stability. After all this, however, what I put in first place is always the SQ for me and in this case the 5k does not satisfy me 100%. I'm still in the return window, so I'd like to give the Onyx a chance before deciding what to keep of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back