Anyone tried out the new THX Onyx?
Sep 12, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #121 of 143
I tried comparing the two while volume matched. Q5k was in performance/low gain. I could not tell a difference. Both are clear with good bass response. If there are any differences they are either very small or I am unable to distinguish them on my 192-320 mp3 tracks. If you have a a chance to demo both and return the one you dont like then definitely do it. Both devices are very good with Q5k having this insanely powerful app to tailor sound.

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #122 of 143
I tried comparing the two while volume matched. Q5k was in performance/low gain. I could not tell a difference. Both are clear with good bass response. If there are any differences they are either very small or I am unable to distinguish them on my 192-320 mp3 tracks. If you have a a chance to demo both and return the one you dont like then definitely do it. Both devices are very good with Q5k having this insanely powerful app to tailor sound.

I haven’t tried Q5K but I’d like to, although I rarely EQ. I have the Onyx and it’s amazing. Great power and especially musicality.

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #123 of 143
I bought the THX Onyx and put it in direct comparison with my Qudelix 5K.

The comparison was made A/B by changing the device on the same track and listening to an entire playlist first with one and then with the other several times to also have clear feelings and emotions that one was able to give me compared to the other.

I'll be brief: I can say that the Onyx is definitely a cut above in terms of SQ and manages to represent sound superbly; dynamics, detail and clarity are expressed in the right way and puts them there for you to hear. The Qudelix 5K sounds good but I often feel it compressed and congested and the great onboard EQ doesn't do it justice in my opinion.

I believe that I will return the Qudelix and keep the Onyx although I am sorry as in terms of portability the Qudelix is unbeatable thanks to its great Bluetooth range and the application full of convenient features, however it does not compare with the Onyx in terms of absolute sound quality.

Sep 16, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #124 of 143
I own both devices and have commented above many times on the Onyx.

One thing I know for sure in my direct apples to apples comparison with 4 or 5 songs, with the 5K in Bluetooth (I did not have a usb-c to usb-c at the time), the Onyx is richer. It seems in Bluetooth the 5K lacks a soul compared to the Onyx.

My Onyx has been misbehaving so I just got a brand new sealed replacement Onyx.

My plan is to try the Onyx again versus the 5K but this time with wired 5K. I will do this before I open the new Onyx so I can sell the new Onyx if I want.

One thing for sure is Razer support is horrible and I hope none of you have Onyx issues and have to deal with them.

Other observations:

1. Bluetooth in general will give sound quality less than wired. I tried out my SE846 BT2 headphones and, as with the 5K, it seemed to lack a soul.

2. I now have the KSE1200 and my SE846 is sidelined permanently. KSE1200 provides true sound versus SE846 (also the Sony IER-Z1R that I returned) which adds so much bass. I was a bass head but no more. KSE1200 rocks and has lots of bass if bass is in the sound recording. I don't need artificial bass. If the bass is not in the sound recording then I don't want bass added in for me.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #127 of 143
I bought the THX Onyx and put it in direct comparison with my Qudelix 5K.

The comparison was made A/B by changing the device on the same track and listening to an entire playlist first with one and then with the other several times to also have clear feelings and emotions that one was able to give me compared to the other.

I'll be brief: I can say that the Onyx is definitely a cut above in terms of SQ and manages to represent sound superbly; dynamics, detail and clarity are expressed in the right way and puts them there for you to hear. The Qudelix 5K sounds good but I often feel it compressed and congested and the great onboard EQ doesn't do it justice in my opinion.

I believe that I will return the Qudelix and keep the Onyx although I am sorry as in terms of portability the Qudelix is unbeatable thanks to its great Bluetooth range and the application full of convenient features, however it does not compare with the Onyx in terms of absolute sound quality.

Even happier with my choice. Thanks.

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #128 of 143
Thanks for sharing that.
Bluetooth is just not good at all if anyone cares about optimal sound quality.

I am assuming anyone using the Onyx at $200 msrp has somewhat expensive headphones.

I researched a bit and ended up investing in the Onyx after reading ASR’s review. I’m using them with the Meze Rai Solo (cheaper than the Onyx) and with the Aonic 50’s (when passive and wired). I’m VERY happy with my investment. I’d risk saying it improves both headphones.

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #129 of 143
I researched a bit and ended up investing in the Onyx after reading ASR’s review. I’m using them with the Meze Rai Solo (cheaper than the Onyx) and with the Aonic 50’s (when passive and wired). I’m VERY happy with my investment. I’d risk saying it improves both headphones.
You did well, even if next time I advise you not to buy devices just because they measure well, for me the measures tell little or nothing, the devices should always be tested with your own ears.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #130 of 143
You did well, even if next time I advise you not to buy devices just because they measure well, for me the measures tell little or nothing, the devices should always be tested with your own ears.

I totally agree with you. Listening is paramount. But, I don’t know how it is in Italy, but here in Portugal the market is very small, at least for mid-fi. I believe there’s a lot of people buying the cheap stuff and some people buying a lot of the high end stuff. But the product availability is pretty scarce. And, also, “you can’t try if you don’t buy”.
I have limited funds for this hobby so I tend to resort to the “tried and true”. I got the Rai Solo because of price and instant availability but I needed something to “purify” the signal from my phone, so I got the Onyx. Very happy with it.
Now I want/need (very much) to upgrade my IEM game. (Don’t want to detour from topic, so you (or anyone) may PM me about this, but I’m looking at the Vulkan or Variations or anything good in that price point).
The Onyx is a great product.

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #131 of 143
I totally agree with you. Listening is paramount. But, I don’t know how it is in Italy, but here in Portugal the market is very small, at least for mid-fi. I believe there’s a lot of people buying the cheap stuff and some people buying a lot of the high end stuff. But the product availability is pretty scarce. And, also, “you can’t try if you don’t buy”.
I have limited funds for this hobby so I tend to resort to the “tried and true”. I got the Rai Solo because of price and instant availability but I needed something to “purify” the signal from my phone, so I got the Onyx. Very happy with it.
Now I want/need (very much) to upgrade my IEM game. (Don’t want to detour from topic, so you (or anyone) may PM me about this, but I’m looking at the Vulkan or Variations or anything good in that price point).
The Onyx is a great product.
In reality even here in Italy there is no way to try anything before buying, many years ago the shops allowed it but after what happened no more, obviously I am referring to headphones and IEM. Also in Italy, there is not much interest in high fidelity, I do not speak to anyone about HIFI because nobody cares ... here in Italy they prefer to talk about football which I am not interested in at all.

As for portable sources and amplifiers, there has never been and there is nothing to refer to, if not a few online stores (including Amazon) that allow you to buy them with an advantageous return window, with my word "try" I was referring precisely to the possibility of using these resellers that allow a possible return in case of change of mind.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #132 of 143
"Now I want/need (very much) to upgrade my IEM game."

I hear you brother.
I started out thinking a $75 audio technica overhead was the best ever.
I went from there straight all the way to the $399 Audio-technica E70. These were stolen while I was in the hospital so I tried the Shure SE846.
Was soooo happy until I tried Sony IER-Z1R like new from Amazon (I returned them) but they were better than SE846.

Then, one day on eBay I saw brand new Shure KSE1200 discounted so I tried them and, honestly, I will never look for another set.

KSE1200 is better, purer, more real than everything else I've heard.

No artificial big bass that the artist never intended.

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #135 of 143
Anyone else having issues with the volume reverting to 100% once in a blue moon? I use my onyx every day at the office plugged into my work PC. 99% of the time when I connect it the prior volume setting is remembered. But that 1 time in 100... extremely dangerous with 108 db sensitivity IEM's (most of my listening is done at volume setting 5ish out of 100).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back