Anyone tried out the new THX Onyx?
May 3, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #47 of 143
I did some blind testing tonight with the THX Onyx, using my Audeze Sine and the Avantone Planar. With both headphones the Onyx is virtually indistinguishable from my K5 desktop amp. It's just very very similar in terms of general balance, detail retrieval and power drive. For fun I've also compared the Onyx with my poor man's audiophile solution which consists in a Chromecast audio feeding a Fiio E5 amp (total budget = $50). Well, same story here, it's very hard to tell which is which. So all in all I'm happy with this little device, it does the same job as an entry-level budget dac-amp with a form factor that's much more convenient to transport. Getting rid of the battery and relying on the phone only is also much more convenient IMO.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #48 of 143
May 4, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #49 of 143
Dont think I saw this mentioned anywhere in the reviews but based on the smartphone I use, a 1 year old Pixel 3a, the Onyx uses around 15% of the 3,000 mah battery per hour while leaving the phone on hold. This is when feeding the Onyx with MQA files through UAPP, so probably the worst case scenario. Not too bad I'd say given its output power.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #50 of 143
If any owner wanna chime in about the compatibility of the Onyx as an iPhone DAC with the new 24bit/192kHz quality tier launching on Apple Music in June…

The DragonFlys are capped at 24bit/96kHz per specs.

The Audeze Cipher is capped at 24bit/48kHz (also a limitation imposed by Apple on lightning accessories, apparently).

May 25, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #54 of 143
I'm gonna order one to try it with my iPhone 12 pro max

My Sony NWZ 507 dap is cute & sounds amazing but it's battery life is so poor that I have become sick of nursing it. (tried all the hacks) And in my old age it's tiny screen and keyboard tend to piss me off.

I hope I don't lose much moving from balanced 4.4mm cable to 3.5mm balanced. With my Empire Ear iems (Nemesis)

What I really like the look of on this - is the tail of the cable - it looks like it might actually survive / bend well in a jacket pocket.

I am assuming I will have to yank out an iem earpiece and pull out the lightning cable to take a phone call? Is that correct?

Very keen to hear from iphone users.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #56 of 143
I'm gonna order one to try it with my iPhone 12 pro max

My Sony NWZ 507 dap is cute & sounds amazing but it's battery life is so poor that I have become sick of nursing it. (tried all the hacks) And in my old age it's tiny screen and keyboard tend to piss me off.

I hope I don't lose much moving from balanced 4.4mm cable to 3.5mm balanced. With my Empire Ear iems (Nemesis)

What I really like the look of on this - is the tail of the cable - it looks like it might actually survive / bend well in a jacket pocket.

I am assuming I will have to yank out an iem earpiece and pull out the lightning cable to take a phone call? Is that correct?

Very keen to hear from iphone users.
Ordered a DragonFLY Cobalt to s/b test with. I plan to send back the one I like least..

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #57 of 143
And then canceled the Cobalt order as it doesn't do 192k!!!

The L&P W2 has balanced 4.4 but no eq?

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #60 of 143
And then canceled the Cobalt order as it doesn't do 192k!!!

The L&P W2 has balanced 4.4 but no eq?

I almost got the Cobalt myself... but have you seen the ASR review? It must not sound “too bad” but that noise and distortion...

You won’t be disappointed with the Onyx. What an amazing piece of work. (listening to the latest Nitin Sawhney album right now, connected to the Rai Solo. So accurate yet very musical... love it)

Share your feedback when possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back