Anyone tried out the new THX Onyx?
May 27, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #61 of 143
Actually the L&_P W2 has some sort of eq and 4,4 balanced. I ordered one from MusicTech

will compare.

Last few days I am running my iems off the basic tiny white Apple Lightning to 3.5mm dongle until the new items arrive. It’s such a relief to be using my phone and not a dap! But it’s early days yet and I may suffer battery drain. That will wipe the smile off my face. And I will have to winkle out a custom fit iem (difficult to do fast!) and the Lightning cable each time I get a call.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #62 of 143
OK THX Onyx arrived.

Sounds perfect with my Empire Ear Nemesis & Qobuz. I don't need any eq.

I am able to hear hi res nuance that the iPhone dongle can’t deliver. (Did rapid a/b testing) ghost snare shuffles missing via apple DAC become audible

the side button volume jumps on my iPhone are too large. And I haven’t figured out how to get Qobuz volume to show up on my Apple Watch crown when I want it to. (It does it sometimes and that’s fantastic for fine volume control)

Let's see if the L&P W2 can beat it.

then a test to see if the best of the two beat the Sony 507 DAP for sound quality

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #63 of 143
Ok starting and stopping a track in Qobuz puts the volume back on my apple watch.

May 31, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #64 of 143
Jun 1, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #66 of 143
Onyx rules - even with a cheapo iem cable from AliExpress. Recommended.

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #68 of 143
Onyx. W2 will be for sale UK

Jun 9, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #69 of 143
If any owner wanna chime in about the compatibility of the Onyx as an iPhone DAC with the new 24bit/192kHz quality tier launching on Apple Music in June…

The DragonFlys are capped at 24bit/96kHz per specs.

The Audeze Cipher is capped at 24bit/48kHz (also a limitation imposed by Apple on lightning accessories, apparently).

Apple Music lossless launched this week, anyone tried this?

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #70 of 143
I gave upon apple music years ago back when it was iTunes.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #74 of 143
I see, thanks.

I suppose it’d work with the iPhone+CCK as well, since at least 2 owners in this thread mentioned using iPhone+CCK+Onyx with Tidal HiFi and Qobuz, so no reason it wouldn’t work with Apple Music hi-res as well. Still, if anybody with iPhone+CCK passing by wanna confirm, I’m all ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back