Anyone tried out the new THX Onyx?
Apr 24, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #31 of 143
I have been offered to review the onyx but I am leaning towards declining it. The wait is at least a month out too. I just got a topping nx4 and am an offical portable audio zombie. I probably have something on my ears more often than not now and that's with asperger's and sensory processing disorder. I'm on the hunt for some another closed back and an IEM or two. By then I might have more equipment and some of the luster of the nx4 wears off.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #32 of 143
just had a chance to try this out... it's a great little dongle but it's not any more powerful than the dragonflys. for me at volume 30-40 it plays the stellia & hekse nicely but on the he6se i max it out to 100 and it's just good enough to listen to. it is pitch-black silent at zero with sensitive iems like the andromeda...

Apr 27, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #33 of 143
just had a chance to try this out... it's a great little dongle but it's not any more powerful than the dragonflys. for me at volume 30-40 it plays the stellia & hekse nicely but on the he6se i max it out to 100 and it's just good enough to listen to. it is pitch-black silent at zero with sensitive iems like the andromeda...
Not bad. I wouldn't expect any dongle to drive the HE6se properly though, it's quite power-hungry isn't it?

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #36 of 143
I just got the Onyx and it sounds absolutely fantastic, just needs a little EQ to enhance the low frequencies. My questions is, if anyone tried to update the firmware to the new 0.2.2 ?
I also tried update the firmware but I'm getting verify failed...

Screenshot 2021-04-28 120533.png

May 3, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #38 of 143
Just updated the firmware on mine. Nothing noticably different. Oh and for those asking if it can drive my k340s. It can. They're 400x2 ohms. Not sure on what that means exactly, but the onyx drives them ok, not amazingly, but better by far than any other dongle I've tried. On a side note, damn I forgot just how good the k340s sound.

May 3, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #39 of 143
Just updated the firmware on mine. Nothing noticably different. Oh and for those asking if it can drive my k340s. It can. They're 400x2 ohms. Not sure on what that means exactly, but the onyx drives them ok, not amazingly, but better by far than any other dongle I've tried. On a side note, damn I forgot just how good the k340s sound.
how did you get the firmware to upgrade? you didn't get any error messages?

May 3, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #40 of 143
Just ran the tool and it took about 5 seconds to update.. then I clicked verify and it confirmed it. Nothing out of the ordinary. Have to have headphones plugged in or it stays in standby and doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back