Anyone tried k701 and Matrix M-Stage?
Jan 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #16 of 28
Having reciewed a Audio-gd c2.2 delivering 3 watts at 50ohm.
For me the 701 is another phone using that amp. The first days using that setup, i regulary went into my HP beats audio setup to see if the bass extensions was turned on, each time finding out it was not.
Using the c2.2 it sounds nearly flat to my ears. Before i had to use eq to get there.
The AKG is a scary phone it simply requires tons of power to sound right. I think it borders on a technical fault.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #17 of 28
Another SS amp that has very good synergy with 701/702's for me is the Channel Islands HPA-1 with VAC-1 power supply.  I generally use a tube amp with my 702's, but the CI powers them with ease and has a meaty, yet not euphonic, texture -- this combo delivers all the detail and subtlety that is on the recording but without any trace of leanness. HPA-2 is, by all accounts, a slight improvement over the HPA-1.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
Having reciewed a Audio-gd c2.2 delivering 3 watts at 50ohm.
For me the 701 is another phone using that amp. The first days using that setup, i regulary went into my HP beats audio setup to see if the bass extensions was turned on, each time finding out it was not.
Using the c2.2 it sounds nearly flat to my ears. Before i had to use eq to get there.
The AKG is a scary phone it simply requires tons of power to sound right. I think it borders on a technical fault.

beerchug.gif

Glad you have the same experience!

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Glad you have the same experience!

:)  But the problem is, before the c2.2 i was looking for a he500/he6! lol, now its like i have a completely new phone, and i very seldom uses the headphone instead of the speaker, so it seems like kind of a waste. But what do i know. Now you have to convince me Lars. Speak to me. I use the phone max. 10% of the time.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
 :)  But the problem is, before the c2.2 i was looking for a he500/he6! lol, now its like i have a completely new phone, and i very seldom uses the headphone instead of the speaker, so it seems like kind of a waste. But what do i know. Now you have to convince me Lars. Speak to me. I use the phone max. 10% of the time.

I listen to headphones maybe 6x as much as speakers. I had the K701, but never got it near sounding good and full without a bass boost, so I took the plunge and jumped to the HE-6 using my speaker amp to drive it. Incredible sound that the K701 will never be able to reach. Actually I think even the HE-400 is much better than K701 in terms of resolution, transparency and frequency response. Only when comparing soundstage, the K701 will beat the HE-400 (based on memory).

If you want to upgrade your headphone sound, but won't spend a lot of money on it I would consider f.i. the HE-400 or HE-500 - depending on music genre. The 400 is at it's best with rythmical music, but the 500 will probably be a better allrounder and better for classical etc. (judging from other peoples statements, since I haven't heard the 500) because of wider soundstage.

If you don't want to be dissapointed with your speakers, then DO NOT buy the HE-6!
very_evil_smiley.gif

They are simply that outrageously revealing and transparent ...

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #21 of 28
Seeing all the things about the K701 needing to be plugged into hugely powerful amps...the maximum input power as spec'd by AKG is 200mw. Buying an amp that could provide over a watt of power into them simply seems like a great way to make the overwhelming majority of the volume control range unusable.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
Seeing all the things about the K701 needing to be plugged into hugely powerful amps...the maximum input power as spec'd by AKG is 200mw. Buying an amp that could provide over a watt of power into them simply seems like a great way to make the overwhelming majority of the volume control range unusable.

Have you heard the K701 / K702 from an amp delivering 1,5 - 2 Watts or more?
In case you haven't, it's just another theory in your mind.
Theories that are not tested and proven practically are not much worth in the real world.

I agree with you from a PURELY theoreticcal viewpoint about the Watts, but what concerns the actual SOUND - it's a different story. BTW from the theoretical viewpoint it could be either more voltage OR ampere (and not the two combined into Watts) that makes the easily audible difference.

Also - if you read the HiFiMan HE-6 thread and "Amps that can drive the HE-6" thread, you will see this same point made over and over again: 
In order to make the HE-6 LOUD (even ear-damaging loud) it requires not that much power (my portable Arrow amp can do that), but in order to make it sound GOOD it needs several Watts - about 5-8 Watts in 50 Ohm. That's why HiFiMan made an amp specifically for the HE-6 that's delivering 5 Watts in class A . RSA made the Dark Star for the HE-6 and it is alledgely even more powerful (look at the RSA site).

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #23 of 28
Add to that it has a very flat impedance curve, and a relative high sensitivity. The conclusion is, save you money, just use your phone. Except it just doesnt work, and makes tons of distortion. I dont know but i guess there is a technical reason for it, although it doesnt matter.

Quote:

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #24 of 28

Quote:

If you go by the spec sheet, 1 Volt, which works out to 16 mW is skull splittingly
loud from a Q701.

Technically, a high powered amp makes no sense!

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #25 of 28
But a significant portion of the volume control range (G=0 or 10) IS usable!  I kid you not!
ZOMG!

The voltage at the HP jack is less than a volt anyway at a moderate listening volume, so it's fine.

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #26 of 28

Quote:
Have you heard the K701 / K702 from an amp delivering 1,5 - 2 Watts or more?
In case you haven't, it's just another theory in your mind.
Theories that are not tested and proven practically are not much worth in the real world.

I agree with you from a PURELY theoreticcal viewpoint about the Watts, but what concerns the actual SOUND - it's a different story. BTW from the theoretical viewpoint it could be either more voltage OR ampere (and not the two combined into Watts) that makes the easily audible difference.

Also - if you read the HiFiMan HE-6 thread and "Amps that can drive the HE-6" thread, you will see this same point made over and over again: 
In order to make the HE-6 LOUD (even ear-damaging loud) it requires not that much power (my portable Arrow amp can do that), but in order to make it sound GOOD it needs several Watts - about 5-8 Watts in 50 Ohm. That's why HiFiMan made an amp specifically for the HE-6 that's delivering 5 Watts in class A . RSA made the Dark Star for the HE-6 and it is alledgely even more powerful (look at the RSA site).

The improvements in sound when using amps which deliver such huge power are not due to that extra power, but due to the fact that those amps are much more expensive, therefore built from much better components that simply sound better.

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #27 of 28
The improvements in sound when using amps which deliver such huge power are not due to that extra power, but due to the fact that those amps are much more expensive, therefore built from much better components that simply sound better.

Disagree. Power is the factor in this matter. A much better amp will of course sound better as such, but the point is that a modest amp like the Lyr ($445,- and giving about 4W in 60 Ohms) or the C 2.2 ($365,-) yields the same results in terms of TONAL BALANCE (or perceived frequency response). More power gives the extra bass and authority and the treble becomes relaxed. Owners of the Schiit Lyr has testified this. The HE-6 also sounds thin when underpowered, however needing much more power than the K-701.

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #28 of 28
Think about it.
Technically speaking that headphone requires 16 mW for an SPL of 105 dB.
It is a 62 ohm headphone, it probably just needs an amp with an output impedance of 6 ohms or lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back