Anyone here only own 1 pair of headphones? How are you holding up?
May 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #31 of 117
Damn, I just seem to always find an excuse to buy a new pair every few weeks to a month. I'm in the process of exchanging my faulty MG7 with a Q701 (adding cash of course), having bought a XB500 the week before and MEElectronics M6 3 weeks ago, and I'm already looking at buying a Jaycar clone of the FA-003. I think I need to just stop lol.

May 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #32 of 117
Quote:
I had only one pair up until recently.
I have the beyerdynamic t5p and it's great for all around use but I also got a pair of sr325i to use solely at home when I want a very different sound.

I really think there needs to be a Grado-Beyerdynamic Appreciation Thread, cause there seem to be quite a lot of us who really enjoy owning a pair of each...I just bought my 2nd pair of Beyers, some DT1350s, and between my Beyers and Grados I feel I have all I need in terms of headphones. I'm sure I'll always want to try other cans, but these two brands are very satisfying when taken together. The fact that I've come across so many people who have ended up with the same two brands as their main headphones just confirms what I'm hearing.

May 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #33 of 117
I have a HD800 and AD2000 but I really only use the HD800. The AD2000 just sits on a stand looking pretty but I haven't used it in quite a while. With just the HD800 I could be happy and am very happy. I should sell the AD2000 eventually but too lazy.

May 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #34 of 117
I really think there needs to be a Grado-Beyerdynamic Appreciation Thread, cause there seem to be quite a lot of us who really enjoy owning a pair of each...I just bought my 2nd pair of Beyers, some DT1350s, and between my Beyers and Grados I feel I have all I need in terms of headphones. I'm sure I'll always want to try other cans, but these two brands are very satisfying when taken together. The fact that I've come across so many people who have ended up with the same two brands as their main headphones just confirms what I'm hearing.

I'm more of a treble head so the t5p were more the product of a lack of high end portable cans. I didn't want to wait 1-2 months for ciems.
The grado I bought because of the unique sound. Next it's probably a high end pair of earbuds.

May 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #35 of 117
Practically I only use ATH-W3000ANV at home. I still have ATH-W1000X, but they rarely see use these days. I should sell them, no luck yet. I do have portaPo and some IEM's, but those are a must really.

I also still fail to understand people who claim to use many headphones actively... I want to be able to listen to very variable music, and I don't want to switch my headphones during that. Neither do I want to build my playlist according to the headphones I'm using. But, in total, owning just one headphone would be way too inconvenient. = /

May 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #37 of 117
I could quite happily live with my hifiman hm801 and my ultimate ears 18 pro customs as my main headphone listening rig,but if you are after something portable at a nice price with good sound you couldn't go wrong with a cowon j3 and a pair of shure 315 in earbuds,the 535 are the best if you can stretch that far that is!

May 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #38 of 117
I don't normally listen to only 1 headphone at a time. Sometimes I will choose a pair, and the next day I will take another with me. It very much depends on my preference at that point of time. Heck, I have gone through many a day when I have regretted taking out one can as I wanted to listen to another then and there.

May 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #39 of 117
If you can't headphones and IEMs separately I only have 1; 2 including IEMs. Fortunately, they're HD 800s and I love them -- otherwise, I'd be in the hell I was in 6 mos ago with 5+ cans!

May 20, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #40 of 117
Quote:

Sounds like an idea for a new thread Focker 
smile.gif

I still think the DT990 Premium in either 250 or 600ohm is an absolute riot of a can, bought my pair, unheard - just off the back of a guess-ti-mation
 as to how they would sound.

They still boast one of the bigger Beyer soundstages and the way that they colour everything with smidges of sub bass is very fun indeed - surely one of the
 more discerning choices for a let's say someone who watches a heap of movies via the PC and happens to like Reggae and Ska.

Back on topic - I'm still trying to build my material collection around the PS1000 for the time being, I know many would disagree - but if the material
 does not gel then I just move on to a new record - I'm slowly rebuilding my listening collection around them - again, know many of you will think thats nuts.

RS1i never sees the rig really - it finds itself living life as a portable.

May 20, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #41 of 117
Quote:
once you get pass a price point.. almost all headphones are like that... you can expect a $500 hp to be better than a $200 hp technological wise.. but that does not mean you will enjoy an expensive headphone more.. to be honest... I find myself going for K702 more often than WKX recently... remember.. price doesn't mean anything.. it's all in your head..
wink.gif

i regret selling my K701 because i liked them, but i did't listen to them as much as the T1 / HD 800 (which are better than the akg).

i started with under 200 and then bought my HD 650s, which where my first good pair, i ended up having like 9 mid-fi pairs at one point (dt 990, hd 650, 325, k701, d2000, pro 900, and a few others), but finally decided to step up to the 500+ price range and it was totally worth it.

right now i'm at 6 pairs and listen to all of them quite a lot. with the senns/beyers getting alot of listen as well as the d7000 and the grado and pros the least. the lcd-2 are in the middle i guess.

May 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #42 of 117
So far I only have two pairs of headphones. A pair of Skullcandy Supreme Sound Aviators that I bought about a week and a half ago, and some Grado SR80i 'phones that I picked up three days ago.

I know that seems a bit odd, but I (literally) just got into the idea of getting some good cans and went to the store with very little knowledge of what to get. I knew of Grado (of course) and went in to buy a pair actually, but the guy working there was a huge fan of the Aviators, and suggested I try them. I listened to them and several other models many times, going back and forth between them to A/B different cans.

Ultimately, I was impressed with the midrange on the Aviators and bought them. Then I took them home and was using them non-stop for several days in a row. I found their weaknesses (thin sounding, quick to distort at high volume, too forward in the upper mids/high frequencies)  rather quickly, and wished I had bought the Grados instead.   :xf_eek:p

So, I went back to the store and only listened to Grado models. Everything model from the iGrado, up to the 325i. I found them to be a bit bright, but for some (seemingly unexplainable) reason, I found the SR80is to be a bit mellower than the rest of the lineup. I am not sure why, and I "wanted" to like the 125s more, but I just didn't...I don't get it at all... Anyway, I picked up the SR80i Grados and I like them quite a bit more than the Skullcandy Aviators. The aviators seem to play louder than the Grados using my laptop and ipods as sources, but the Aviators seem to distort easier (may be due to the amps though).

I have found that with both of these 'phones, I MUCH prefer to use my laptop as the source. In fact, using either of these cans (which are much more revealing than the Apple ibuds) made me come to the realization that I seriously do not like the sound of the ipod touch at all. I do have an ipod video (30 gb 5th gen) and I feel that the older model sounds a bit fuller than my new touch does. In fact, it sounds quite a bit better all aorund IMO...but still not besting the integrated sound card (Realtek HD Audio) in my budget laptop. I find that odd and figured that the Apple products would easily outperform my laptop....considering that they ARE dedicated portable audio players and all. :xf_eek:p

I am thinking my next pair of cans is going to be the ATH-M50, and I will probably pick them up soon (as in within a week), but a part of me wants to stop playing around with these lower cost HPs and jump into something a bit more refined throughout. Some Sennheiser 600 or 650s maybe. With their popularity around here, I am sure that they are at least worth nabbing up for a while. I figure, with a headphone of that popularity and caliber, I can always sell it if I end up not liking it.

Decisions, decisions...too many of them. LOL!

May 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #43 of 117
After today, I have only one full-size headphone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back