Anyone has experience with coyotes?
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

juman231

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, everyone, it seems funny asking about coyotes in headfi, but I figured, someone might have the experience of dealing with coyotes.

I have a mid-sized dog in my backyard, and from few weeks ago, these coyotes keep coming and try to snatch away my dog! For this reason, my dog just starts barking from early night to very early morning. And since coyotes seem to be active  at about 3-4 AM, when they do come, that's when the frenzied barking  comes. My family can't sleep, and I'm pretty sure my neighbors can't either, so I'm looking for a solution here. Putting the dog in the garage is not an option, since the dog goes crazy when its there, and because garage connects directly to my room.
Fence6big.gif

Our fence is metal, and maybe 4 feet thick, but there's about 3-4 inch gaps in between, like the one above. And outside the fence is a small downward hill, with trees and weeds.  What would be the most cost effective way to stop this? I was thinking about installing several mouse traps outside the fence just to scare the coyotes, but do not know if it will work...

thanks for your help.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 61
Best and most efficient way of dealing with it is by shooting it. You could also use, like my granddad, donkeys to keep watch at night. There are traps you could set, but most of the cheap ones will maim the coyotes. There's probably some sort of humane catch-and-release trap, I'm sure, but it's likely to be mucho dinero.

You could also try to befriend this pack of coyotes. I knew an old sheep-shearer who did this.

Edit: I didn't see until now that you have neighbors. You must live in a suburban area? Before you set any trap, you'd better check up on local ordinances. Traditional coyote traps are probably not legal in most places.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 61
AR-15, varmint ammo, and a NVS.

They're a constant problem where I hunt (central WV).  People with no experience think they look cute, but they're not so cuddly when they're ripping lambs, goat, and calves apart.  They're not stupid, either, and the problem with trying to live-trap them is that you're never going to get all (or remotely close to most) at once, still have to transport them somewhere to release them, and have to hope that they don't wander right back to where you trapped them at.

I'll ask the most simple question, though - why not just bring the dog inside at night?

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 61
If you do some research you'll find that Coyotes are becoming a real problem in many urban areas. Many communities are struggling with the moral question of shooting vs some capture and release method.

I agree that responsible hunting is the proper solution, IMHO.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 61
Might I suggest calling animal control, they can relocate coyotes. It's likely that with only a short 4' fence with no ground wire they will find a way in if they really want to get your dog. Coyotes in my area are solitary rather than pack dogs and are generally timid (compared to wolves and feral dogs) so that's kind of a good thing, if the same holds true for them at your location.

When we had a coyote come around our home it didn't usually challenge our dog (mid-size shepherd/collie mix) and rarely attempted to come close to the house, but it did drive the dog crazy. We had to have her sleep inside for our own ease of mind as we had no fences. We never had any issues between our dogs and the coyote probably in part due to the fact that we didn't leave them outside alone at night often and the coyote eventually stopped showing up. I think it was likely less concerned with our dogs and more in search of food.

Mouse traps will probably not deter them if they feel like your dog is intruding on their territory. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 61
First of all, I live in california, in a suburban area.

These coyotes are really persistent! They've been coming nonstop for a week now. They actually bit my dog's neck last week and the dog had to go through a 1000 dollar surgery. The dog still has stitchings on its neck and the coyotes are back. The county animal control website specifically says they won't do any relocating jobs for coyotes, and that I should just set up a high fence or something.

As for shooting them...I'm barely out of highschool... and we do not have a gun of any sort. I should seriously consider having our dogs inside the garage at night...

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 61
holy 1000dollars?
see if you were to just purchase an AR-15, then you'd have a fine dog and 1000 dollars invested into something useful.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 61
I always thought the best way to deal with coyotes was to use anvils, dynamite, and boulders. 
biggrin.gif

We're having problems with them in Michigan too...they've actually been sighted on the playground at my son's elementary school.  We're not way out in the country either, but rather in a heavily populated suburb with plenty of activity.  They are certainly not showing a lot of fear of humans these days.

I gather the best way to deal with them is to call animal control, but results around these parts are inconclusive.

Good luck...I'd be interested to hear about it if you get good results.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 61
Most places won't deal with coyotes because they are such a pain. So most people don't care when one goes missing or turns up dead. Just keep "removing" them until they learn that your house is a death trap. If they don't learn, they die.

And I'd say keep the dog inside until you have either eliminated the problem, or got a fenced area for the dog at nights (if you don't want to just leave the dog inside at nights).

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 61

Quote:
holy 1000dollars?
see if you were to just purchase an AR-15, then you'd have a fine dog and 1000 dollars invested into something useful.

Apparently it was bitten very deeply. Had two tubes going through its neck to prevent his airway from collapsing...I guess I'll do more research on private animal control services.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 61
If animal control won't help you or you are unable, legally, to defend your home with arms I would imagine the next step would be moving up the chain of the gov't. Don't stop until #%& starts happening. /shrug

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 61
Put coyote rollers on the fence. Brilliant design. Also consider electrifying the fence.

I'd check local ordinances and see if you can legally shoot or hunt them. I don't like varmints in urban areas - a raccoon injured a wonderful cat a few years back. She eventually died from the injuries.

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 61

Quote:
Put coyote rollers on the fence. Brilliant design. Also consider electrifying the fence.

I'd check local ordinances and see if you can legally shoot or hunt them. I don't like varmints in urban areas - a raccoon injured a wonderful cat a few years back. She eventually died from the injuries.

Sorry to hear that...Will read into the county laws on this issue...As a temporary solution, I've put my dog in the dogloo and made the only entrance to face the glass sliding door connecting house to the backyard, so the dog can look into the house and doesn't get scared with the sudden change... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back