Anyone has experience with coyotes?
Apr 11, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #46 of 61

Actually, it makes perfect sense to just "wound" the enemy...a wounded solder takes ten times as much
resources for the enemy to care for as a dead one. Of course a dead solder does not come back and
kill you later...

Yes, I agree...FMJ would not be the best ammunition for hunting. I don't see any reason that an FN would not
fire soft point or hollow point.

Same problem with the rocket launcher...unless it hit a hard target, the round would not go off. On the
other hand, it would make a pretty big hole anyway...

Quote:

In that case, you sure don't want military ammo, a FMJ will go right through the coyote like a paper sheet and leave him bleeding to death if you don't hit a vital (military ammo is designed to wound, not to kill, how counter-intuitive this might seem). Can you load soft or hollow point ammo in a FAL ?

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #47 of 61

Quote:
...no guns guys, no guns. In the Asian neighborhood I live in, there's no such thing as "bring home a rocket launcher for some coyote hunting..." like never..

As for those of you that might be curious, my dog has been doing fine. Yesterday one coyote came IN to the backyard at 10AM in the morning, which was shocking. But the dog was fine even after we got back from church, and no barking to be heard yesterday night either. 

The cage is coming tomorrow, and we might think about keeping the dog inside, at least at nights.

Good to hear things are settling down.  Best of luck.

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #48 of 61
The only trouble here is, if you kill all the coyotes and other predators, within a few years feral rabbits, rats and other vermin proliferate at enormous rates.

More target practice, so no real problem, I guess.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #51 of 61

Quote:
can't help but feel this thread is becoming more about guns than my dog..

Seems like it, and I was just going along with the joke.  I was serious about removing the attractive nuisance from the coyote's perspective, since that's about the only legal option in most municipalities.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #53 of 61

Yes, we digress...
I'm glad that your dog has pulled through.
Hopefully you will find a way to convince the Coyote that there
is greener grass elsewhere without have to do it real harm.

As was pointed out above, their usual food is some of our
worst pests. While they do occasionally eat some of the
less intelligent pets in our neighborhood, they do keep
the rabbits, rats and mice in check.

Quote:
can't help but feel this thread is becoming more about guns than my dog..

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #54 of 61
A donkey is the way to go then. Donkeys naturally hate coyotes. Coyotes are scared of donkeys. When they's been run oft, you can take the donkey and treat the family to a nice meal of burritos.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #56 of 61
That's really interesting - I just ran a quick search and had no idea that a donkey (or burro) would run off coyotes.

Might be a good idea. A donkey makes a nice pet - wouldn't mind owning one. I've always had a soft spot for domesticated animals. A cow or horse would be fun to have around. Though I'd like to have a goat - they have loads of personality.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #57 of 61

Quote:
That's really interesting - I just ran a quick search and had no idea that a donkey (or burro) would run off coyotes.

Might be a good idea. A donkey makes a nice pet - wouldn't mind owning one. I've always had a soft spot for domesticated animals. A cow or horse would be fun to have around. Though I'd like to have a goat - they have loads of personality.

Asian Step donkeys are really cool.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #60 of 61

Quote:

That's why we dont have coyotes here at work................................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back