Anyone has experience with coyotes?
Apr 6, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #16 of 61
ah sorry about your dog man. you could also just build a tall wood fence. not to expensive if you diy . just make posts and nail on or screw

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #17 of 61
I know a guy who lives in Mokena and used a BB gun to get rid of one Coyote. Every night he would open the window and shoot the animals hips and after a few days the Coyote would actually go around his yard into neighbors. The guy never had any food source on his property neither and i am sure that plays a major role. Usually a wild animal just trying to live and will learn pain and avoid it, if you can Sting the coyote just a bit without really hurting it..it might be worth a shot (pun intended). A small pump rifle in close distance should give the animal a nice sting without breaking its skin. Coyotes are smart animals it will learn to avoid your area,,,they are beautiful animals btw!

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #19 of 61
It was awful. My gut reaction was to kill them all. I didn't, though.

Instead, I feed the cats earlier and make sure no extra food is left out overnight. The raccoons rarely come around any more. Make sure there is no food left out - that's the primary draw.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #20 of 61

Quote:
Sorry to hear that...Will read into the county laws on this issue...As a temporary solution, I've put my dog in the dogloo and made the only entrance to face the glass sliding door connecting house to the backyard, so the dog can look into the house and doesn't get scared with the sudden change... 

the temporary solution worked for a couple of days. And yesterday, my younger sister saw TWO coyotes IN our backyard in the early morning. Apparently my dog's barking woke everyone up but me..

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #21 of 61
Best thing you can do is to remove all attractive nuisances from your back year.  Food attracts the coyotes, put your dog inside at night.  Remove all other food from your back yard.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #23 of 61
We contacted animal control in our area and basically they blew us off.  No funding.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #24 of 61
they won't do anything unless it's a "human threat." Just bought a cage from amazon to keep the dog in the garage at night....hopefully coyotes take the weekend off until it comes...

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #25 of 61

Quote:
they won't do anything unless it's a "human threat." Just bought a cage from amazon to keep the dog in the garage at night....hopefully coyotes take the weekend off until it comes...

That's disappointing.  Keep your pup safe and good luck.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #26 of 61
That's awful. If it were me, I'd check into the local laws about hunting/killing them. If legal, I'd pick up a .30-06 and put an end to the problem.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #27 of 61

Quote:

Apparently it was bitten very deeply. Had two tubes going through its neck to prevent his airway from collapsing...I guess I'll do more research on private animal control services.

if i was you, if youll pardon my french id blow the f*ckers heads of then track down the rest of them and dispatch them too.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #28 of 61
So it's 14:30 here, nice quiet day, and all of a sudden a 40lb. coyote walks through our yard like he owned the place.  Most of the back wall of our house at the ground level is glass, floor to ceiling and our dogs take great joy running back and forth up and down the hallway in front of the glass chasing squirrels.  All day entertainment for free.  Well, their reaction to the coyote was a little different.  Their barking sounded a little worried.  If I would have had a gun in hand I could have easily put ten rounds or more in him.  These things are getting brassy!  Broad daylight, middle of the afternoon!  

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #30 of 61

Quote:
Is it the food? Are humans taking their habitats? What's the issue?

I think humans are crowding them out of their habitats and they're adapting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back