Anyone ever had the OLD Koss K-6?
May 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:
yeah, one thing they are good at is handling out pain. my ears hurt after only 30 min of listening. The best way to describe the sound, i think, is....

Hold a pair of headphones away from your ear, then you have the sound.
biggrin.gif

glad i checked in here.

there's a cherry pair of the koss k/6a on ebay right now for cheap that caught my eye, but i can do without the pain.

thx

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #17 of 31
I just snagged a pair of the k6 quads. On eBay. Kind of curious about them. Never had nor listened to quadraphonics. If they sound good yay! If not still makes a interesting addition to my collection. I was surprised by the Sansuis hopefully Koss will wow me too.
Thinking about either trying to run them quad off my receiver front rear speaker outputs(carefully), and or using a splitter running quad stereo from the E11. Or something like that.
After I get them in, ill use them for a bit and write a review.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #18 of 31
I just scored a set of K/6ALC for $10 at some used record shop in Ottawa.

First impressions:
- This is a torture device.  It weighs a ton and the vinyl earpads are rock hard.
- Good isolation - I would imagine this would only improve with new, softer pads.
- Timbre sounds slightly artificial - as if one were listening to vintage... erm, yeah.  This seems to improve at higher volumes (I've got the earcup volume controls at max).
- Good soundstage & instrument separation.
- My ears hurt.

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #20 of 31
Howdy, all. So my dad has two pairs of Radioshack Realistic Custom Pros (Koss K/6 rebrand). One pair is his original set from 1972 ... smooth, glossy finish on the cans with the silver grating over the vents, no volume control. The second pair are later versions that I picked up for him for nostalgia's sake. This second pair has matte, textured cans, no grating, and no volume controls (very similar to the K/6 in appearance).
Anyway, the 1972 set is dead. My dad has asked me to rehab them ... I am waiting on parts but I will be adding a detachable cable and bluetooth. For bluetooth, I will probably go with an external module that connects through the detachable cable port. I think internalizing the module will mess with the cup's acoustics.
I am also trying to identify a replacement pad solution. I think the hardestpart will be matching to the unfortunate brown/beige color scheme.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #21 of 31
First headphones I ever put on were Koss Pro 4AAA with vintage vinyl Prog rock. Cups are hard plastic, sound is mid fi to modern tastes.

But the effect was still mind-blowing and set me off on a journey of music for life.

Aug 20, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #22 of 31
Howdy, all. So my dad has two pairs of Radioshack Realistic Custom Pros (Koss K/6 rebrand). One pair is his original set from 1972 ... smooth, glossy finish on the cans with the silver grating over the vents, no volume control. The second pair are later versions that I picked up for him for nostalgia's sake. This second pair has matte, textured cans, no grating, and no volume controls (very similar to the K/6 in appearance).
Anyway, the 1972 set is dead. My dad has asked me to rehab them ... I am waiting on parts but I will be adding a detachable cable and bluetooth. For bluetooth, I will probably go with an external module that connects through the detachable cable port. I think internalizing the module will mess with the cup's acoustics.
I am also trying to identify a replacement pad solution. I think the hardestpart will be matching to the unfortunate brown/beige color scheme.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Rehab & Mod are done! And I didn't have to replace the pads ... They survived. Functional K6 / Custom Pros with swappable cable ...

Attachments

• PXL_20220814_075200144.jpg
    PXL_20220814_075200144.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220814_075144407.jpg
    PXL_20220814_075144407.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220814_075057956.jpg
    PXL_20220814_075057956.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #23 of 31
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I had a pair of these way back in the 70s (early to mid)I bought them new in Singapore ( I was living there then) and thought they were great at that time... The KOSS electrostatics were incredible but well out of my reach financially. Several thousand Singapore dollars so I settled well down market, for the K6 at about $100 Singapore about $50 US in 1974.
Never thought of myself as a Trendsetter but I used to 'Truck' around Singapore Listening to Free, Bad Company and Steely Dan with the K6s hooked to a Sony TC 126 Cassette Tape Deck with it's 1/4" out headphone jack. It ran on batteries (6 'D' size if IIRC) and had an onboard transformer and accepted multi voltage A/C So just maybe I created the first Sony Walkman without even knowing! Not exactly pocketable but nonetheless portable.

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #25 of 31
Goodonya! Hope you didn't have to wake her up!
In their day and for those on a modest budget they were a good pair of cans, the Sony tape deck drove them pretty well too!
My Hifi journey/adventure started well over 50yrs ago as a teenager and there's been a lot of water under that bridge and components floating by ever since.
Some I have successfully snagged, others lept, spat hook and got away. But i'm still wetting a line!
Thanks for the reply AmpooTwibbit

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #27 of 31
Thankyou and the Walkman thing is completely coincidental, I did run with the concept though and possibly after the real 'Walkmans' had emerged. I never had one and can't recall when they were first released
I'm a tragic for a Stereo Sound and having been a motorcyclist for decades wanted to have tunes whilst riding. 'So I took a little Risk' I had a Toshiba Stereo cassette player/recorder (A popular tool with journos of the day with it's two built in microphones) Pocketable with big pockets, that was quite a good device for the mid to late 70s it played and recorded tapes and it had two tuners that were in the case of a cassette no tape inside just radio tuner gizzards. There was a blue one I think for the FM band and a Red one for the AM band. IEMs had not really emerged at that stage (other than the woeful earpiece that came with your 6 transistor radio, so I used the over ear headphone the stereo cassette player came with.
I turned the soft foam sponge padding inside out and excavated a small cavity in the styrpfoam inner lining of the Shoei Brain Bucket. Nothing too excessive just enough for the magnets of the stripped drivers would fit snugly without any chance of dislodging. Left the foam off the headphone drivers and folded back the helmets soft foam.
Voila it worked a treat, I could listen to radio continuously but had to pull over to change tapes and or a beer stop or the consequence thereof!
Wind noise was still a problem with an open face bucket but when full face helmets hit the market they were a much better option. It's kinda head bangin' with a cranial condom!
As for Warren Zevon, I've liked him for a long,long time, since I first heard ' Werewolves' but I think my favorite track of his among the many would be "Lawyers Guns and Money" followed closely by 'Nighttime in the Switching Yard' and who could forget 'Roland the Headless Thomson Gunner' The whole Excitable Boy album is a winner in my view and likely his best.
Vale Warren, taken way before his time and very tragically to a HORRIBLE disease too! He was a consummate talent and sadly missed by many.
Cheers and Happy listening to you too Just Luuuv that username!

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #28 of 31
My Dad's first "real stereo" in the 1970's had these with it as a headset and I spent many hours listening happily to them as a kid.

Finding them in a box years later and taking the trouble to get them working (needed a new jack, and some glue) I discovered that they sounded terrible, and all my childhood memories were nostalgia and ignorance. My grandfather's stereo of about the same vintage also had some terrible Realistic headphones.

Headphones have come a long way.

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #29 of 31
Well Lou apart from making me feel 'Old'. I AM so no offence taken, those Koss cans were quite good in their day and perhaps the best sounding I'd ever owned at that time.
They were not the best I'd listened to but the best was well out of my reach financially. I had to make do, live within my means and they performed very well. Without inducing a hip pocket neuropathy!

I was then and remain today, very fond of American Speakers even the small ones you wear on your head. The VERY BIG earthmoving types were my passion though and still are.
I did try several European types (earthmovers) but largely because of the music I listened to in those days, like the trusty Labrador, I always returned to 'American Made' It was my cosy kennel and the place for me. Infinity,Bose,Cerwin Vega and AR were NOT players in the headphone sector, neither Sonab,Ditton,Tannoy and Wharfedale from over the Atlantic. In the 60s and 70s headphones were quite a niché market and nothing like the playground of today, so in that respect,I think headphones have more emerged as a market sector rather than coming a long way.

Perhaps HiFI boffins then, were a little more socially unthoughtful (disrespectful) or had dedicated soundproofed listening rooms. Listening to hifi music was a larger experience,headphones and IEMs were a novelty and not really mainstream. Maybe today because life is a little more 'compact' and constrained, we can have a gazillion tractks in a tiny digital box, we need to commensurately contain/confine our musical joy and delights to much smaller spaces/venues. It would not be much fun (in the lugging) a pair of CV D7s onto a train to commute to work...but (in the listening) you definately would have the whole carriage ROCKIN'! Differently and sometimes sadly today, everybody looks to/at and are wholly consumed by their devices, they escape to their own private musical nirvana(s)...without reading a newspaper a book or speaking to a soul. It's kinda sad to watch really! A seething mass of non-interactive ectoplasm fastidiously avoiding eye contact...I don't get it...is it political corectness gone mad?

I do understand you, in saying headphones having come 'a long way'. I'm just not quite so sure I'd fully agree. The science is still largely unchanged, it's still about moving air,even in tiny volumes. Yes there are some newer types of speaker around some that are almost microscopic and overall they are cheaper than they ever were. Electrostatics both large and small were the only flat surface ones I knew or heard of...there are now others that are 'Planar' and move or are excited differently. So indeed the technology has changed and for the better in my veiw. You couldn't walk the street or ride a bus with 500 albums in your pocket much less listen to them.

There are many more manufacturers than in your Dad's day and mine too, than when his first 'Real Stereo' became a reality ! But what's still unchanged,from that time, is it's just as easy to spend a fortune if you want/need to, that will never change.
But conversely, you can much more easily, spend a very modest amount and get a lot of sonic performance. I suppose for me that's what has changed and where I'd agree with you. It's the mid to lower end of the market, it has a LOT MORE CHOICE and pretty decent performance for a modest spend. The high end is still there,always will be with all it's bells and whistles, generally touting stellar performance, often but not always delivering, but always for a price. I suppose there are indeed more players in that sector than there were 50yrs ago, simillarly, there are even more players again, in the mid to low end than ever before.
Quite often it's the same hi-end guys,wearing different hats and in their jeans and sneakers, instead of their dinner suits,silk scarves and patent leather dancing pumps!

As a card carrying bottom feeder...I'm well and truly spoilt for choice. There's so much for me to choose from and as this (HiFi Stuff) is and always will be a very subjective experience, the high end (to my ears) are not 10 times better than the low end (sonically). However the high end is frequently 10 times the money of the opposite end of the market scale.

A truthful final analysis must always appraise and account for the individuals ability to hear, how many of us actually know how good (or bad) our hearing is ? I'd contend not very many! Very few would have knowledge of or recent and accurate measurements of their audiological ability or lack of it. I doubt a pair of $10,000 dollar headphones will do much for advanced presbycusis, any more than a $500 dollar pair, other than perhaps leave you with $9500 for beer and skittles!

Cheers, Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back