Anyone ever get a killer deal on a set of headphones? if so where?
May 31, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:
it's one of my dreams to be at such a sale and suddently see a R10 lying there:

'How much do you want for that?' 
'1 euro'
'I'll give you 0.50 for it'
'Well ok they're not even metal or 'modern' plastic, this old wooden thing, here you go'

To be actually realistic: there was a R10 at Dutch local ebay some weeks ago. I'm pretty sure someone bought R10's for 35-50 euros.
That hurts..
I was too late

50 euros for the mythical MDR-R10?  Might I call that THE headphone deal of entire audio era?

May 31, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #17 of 34

Quote:
50 euros for the mythical MDR-R10?  Might I call that THE headphone deal of entire audio era?

Think about it. If I were 30 minutes earlier, maybe it was me who got it

As you can imagine, I was pretty pissed a couple of days. 50 euros man; I would've paid 30 times that amount without any hesistation

May 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 34
Nothing worth thousands but some fun deals.
Thrift shops are hit and miss and miss more often for me. I try to head to the burbs and get to those shops that have a surrounding middle class area, where folks MIGHT see some old headphones or electronics they have at home in the closet and say baaaah it's old. I want new.   Maybe I just got on a lucky streak last month.
Thrift Stores:Got a MINT set of Yamaha HP-1 Orthodynamics for $19 ( wow what a pair ),  Sansui SS-20's for $8, older Grundig 211-a 400 ohms $4.

Got a nice set of older 600 ohm Akg 240M for $50 off a local guy.

Found a FREE working tube amp from a sheet metal dumpster It's near mint. Heathkit AA-151. It sat around at work for a while I wasn't ever going to bother with it am I glad I did.

I am still waiting for that spur of the moment garage sale find of some dusty old McIntosh gear, electrostatic speakers, or Stax. The anticipation is terrible when I head out to look around, and it's hard not to get depressed after finding nothing.
Any of the stores closer to the city seem to get picked over quite heavily I find, so I don't bother there.

Thanks for this thread it reminds me I need to head out up island this weekend to a few places. Fun times.  The thrill of the hunt can be intoxicating. Is that sad or what.

May 31, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

+1

Quote:
I try to head to the burbs and get to those shops that have a surrounding middle class area, where folks MIGHT see some old headphones or electronics they have at home in the closet and say baaaah it's old. I want new. 

This. That was exactly how I got my HD560. This nice older man had just bought HD600's and didn't want them anymore. He basicly gave them to me.
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #20 of 34
Got a like-new DT48 from the 50's with original packaging for $50. I feel kinda bad about that one. And I bought a Koss Technician VFR for $15. One just went for $120 on eBay in worse condition than mine.

And...how do they go for only $50?! Were they morbidly mislabled?

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #21 of 34
Jun 1, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Ah, all mobile pc items go for little to nothing. I saw er6i's go for $30 there.

Also, I just bought AT-702's from ebay for $10...I'm on a roll aren't I? XD

http://cgi.ebay.com/audio-technica-AT-702-Vintage-Stereo-Headphones-/120728504243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1bfac7b3 

They're old dynamic audiotechnica's, probably 8ohms. I'll try them in my grandpa's 80's pioneer reciever and if there no good they'll be my first diy project. Its kind of a shame, the AT-702's are meh in looks. I would have payed 10 times as much for the AT-703; their gorgeous .

Edit: maybe not that much anyways...Kudos on the D5000's n-phect; D2000's still go for more than that new in a lot of stores.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #23 of 34

Quote:
Ah, all mobile pc items go for little to nothing. I saw er6i's go for $30 there.

Also, I just bought AT-702's from ebay for $10...I'm on a roll aren't I? XD

http://cgi.ebay.com/audio-technica-AT-702-Vintage-Stereo-Headphones-/120728504243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1bfac7b3 

They're old dynamic audiotechnica's, probably 8ohms. I'll try them in my grandpa's 80's pioneer reciever and if there no good they'll be my first diy project. Its kind of a shame, the AT-702's are meh in looks. I would have payed 10 times as much for the AT-703; their gorgeous .

Edit: maybe not that much anyways...Kudos on the D5000's n-phect; D2000's still go for more than that new in a lot of stores.

do you know if mobilepc's stuff is legit?

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #24 of 34
     Quote:

do you know if mobilepc's stuff is legit?

No idea, they do have a real website though, just add ".com" to their name, maybe you can find out more there; I'm still undecided. I generally speaking don't trust 3rd party refurb items. Items on the head-fi FS are usually good, though I've seen some rip offs. I remember seeing a diymodded itouch on the forums once for $500; dont know how that would work...

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #25 of 34
I see AKG K601's go for 199 on amazon and 179 new on ebay a couple of times. I also have seen DT880 250ohm going for 219 some where, I dont remember the site tho. AKG 702s usually goes for 230ish on ebay either B stock or used.

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 34
Now thats a deal, I wish i could had got my AKG 702's for One dollar.

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #28 of 34
I paid full price for my AKG's but the deal with them is that AKG is super cool about replacing things like their proprietary 1/8th - 1/4th adapter or the headphone cables. I prolly saved myself like $50 there alone.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #30 of 34
Absolutely ... I bought a pair of Shure E4C's from Circuit City for 90.00 dollars ... I think they put the wrong sticker on it or something. I didn't complain.

So spend a lot of time looking for mis priced items! 

:wink:

Also ... Shure sent me a free pair of SE530's simply because I wrote a funny letter about how the same E4C silicon tip got (deeply and sort of traumatically) stuck in my ear canal. True story.

So write funny letters in between looking for mispriced items! 

Good luck.

.j

Users who are viewing this thread

Back