Anyone else not happy with the TripleFi10's?
Dec 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #61 of 101
tstarn, how do you compare your s4 to the triples? I'm still a noob... but I keep going back and forth between the two... I started out with the triples and thought they were the best headphones I have listened to, (limited to ie6's, e2c's, c551's, etc). I decided that I really don't deserve that expensive of a phone so I sold them and purchased the s4i's. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked the s4i's and enjoyed them right away... With the big sale, I couldn't help myself and purchased the triple's again with the mic... I got them yesterday and started listening today...

Does this seem accurate in your opinion?

Less quantity and faster decay with bass on the triples

More extended treble on the triples, although not as much of a spike around 5-8K (I didn't mind the spike)

Better clarity on the triples, (when a lot of stuff is happening all at once it is easier to pick things out with the triples to me)

Also I hate where the mic on the s4i is... it rubs all around when walking... although I haven't tried the triple mic yet...

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #62 of 101
I was initially not impressed with the TripleFi 10s... I thought they really lacked bass altogether. I blamed this on my source - a Blackberry Bold, which sounds pretty good - very crisp and detailed - but I remember noticing a very distinct drop in the bass performance when I switched from my iPhone 1G. So I ordered a Cowon S9.

The S9 has not arrived yet, so I haven't been able to listen to the TF10s with that, however after having spent several days with the TF10s, my opinion has changed quite a bit. I don't know if they've gone through a bit of burn in (As you know, supposedly BA's don't experience burn in) of if my ears have just become accustomed to them, but they sound FANTASTIC. The bass is full and pronounced, and I don't think it's particularly muddy. It could be deeper and have more impact, but it sounds great now. And I think/hope I'll find that extra oomph in the low end with a better player and/or amp.

Also, just to muddy things up a bit: All none of my regular TripleFi 10s say anything about Logitech on the box, nor do they have the 10Hz - 17kHz printed on the case. But all of my TripleFi 10vi's do have both.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #63 of 101
I sent mine back after only owning them for a few weeks. I couldn't get a proper seal no matter what I did; so the bass was severely lacking. I found them to be too shrill as well.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #64 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by archercat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn, how do you compare your s4 to the triples? I'm still a noob... but I keep going back and forth between the two... I started out with the triples and thought they were the best headphones I have listened to, (limited to ie6's, e2c's, c551's, etc). I decided that I really don't deserve that expensive of a phone so I sold them and purchased the s4i's. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked the s4i's and enjoyed them right away... With the big sale, I couldn't help myself and purchased the triple's again with the mic... I got them yesterday and started listening today...

Does this seem accurate in your opinion?

Less quantity and faster decay with bass on the triples

More extended treble on the triples, although not as much of a spike around 5-8K (I didn't mind the spike)

Better clarity on the triples, (when a lot of stuff is happening all at once it is easier to pick things out with the triples to me)

Also I hate where the mic on the s4i is... it rubs all around when walking... although I haven't tried the triple mic yet...

Can't answer. Don't have the TF10 yet. Today at 5p they arrive via UPS.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #65 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was initially not impressed with the TripleFi 10s... I thought they really lacked bass altogether. I blamed this on my source - a Blackberry Bold, which sounds pretty good - very crisp and detailed - but I remember noticing a very distinct drop in the bass performance when I switched from my iPhone 1G. So I ordered a Cowon S9.

The S9 has not arrived yet, so I haven't been able to listen to the TF10s with that, however after having spent several days with the TF10s, my opinion has changed quite a bit. I don't know if they've gone through a bit of burn in (As you know, supposedly BA's don't experience burn in) of if my ears have just become accustomed to them, but they sound FANTASTIC. The bass is full and pronounced, and I don't think it's particularly muddy. It could be deeper and have more impact, but it sounds great now. And I think/hope I'll find that extra oomph in the low end with a better player and/or amp.

Also, just to muddy things up a bit: All none of my regular TripleFi 10s say anything about Logitech on the box, nor do they have the 10Hz - 17kHz printed on the case. But all of my TripleFi 10vi's do have both.

Your going to love the Cowon S9. That is the best sounding player to me if you like to tweak music. Nothing works better for EQ'ing then the S9 of the players Ive used. Im still waiting on my Triples, they will be here on Monday. It will be interesting to hear what settings you like with the Cowon. There are so many settings and most dont distort the music in a negative way. Keep in touch. Also, dont forget all the custom UI's to be had over at iaudiophile.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #67 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the pointer. I just emailed them and they duplicated it within FIVE MINUTES!!!

Makes me wish I'd purchase multiples for gifts!

I'm not really complaining, since $99 was still a steal, but the inconsistent way Amazon is doling out rebates/credits/discounts after the fact to customers in the exact same situation is kind of annoying. In my view, they should give it to either everyone or no one at all. It shouldn't depend on how the CS rep who happened to answer your email was feeling when he/she saw your request.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #68 of 101
i found with the stock UE tips, the TF10 sounded TERRIBLE. absolutely terrible that it was re0 > tf10 hands down. then i decided to take advantage of the larger nozzle head and use my favorite dynamic IEM tips (v-moda) and WOWOOWOWOWOW it sounds good. bass isnt as boomy and prominent, don't feel as stuffy and congested, trebles are now sparkly. i don't hear the BA sound that i initially heard.

i also know that BA dont improve with burn-in but i decide to leave them running last night just for the heck of it. i notice that the bass has improved some. definitely was not as BIG and BOOMY as i remembered from my first hearing.

some disappointment i find is definitely the V shape sound. the bass and treble are very in your face while the mids are middle line. i also find that with this V shape, it definitely messes with the dynamics. sometimes i hear to a song and some of the excitement just was not there. so sometimes in a song, i just hear "wa pow" instead of "wa POW".

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #69 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not really complaining, since $99 was still a steal, but the inconsistent way Amazon is doling out rebates/credits/discounts after the fact to customers in the exact same situation is kind of annoying. In my view, they should give it to either everyone or no one at all. It shouldn't depend on how the CS rep who happened to answer your email was feeling when he/she saw your request.

You are really complaining. Don't begrudge those who were able to get an extra deal by trying. My luck usually doesn't run this way, but today was a good day! I'm sure you have gotten good fortune and luck in life that I can only dream about. Why get mad because someone said the right thing and got an additional rebate. Amazon has its reasons for who it gives rebates to, and who it doesn't. Stop e-crying. you still got a deal @ $99.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #71 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are really complaining. Don't begrudge those who were able to get an extra deal by trying. My luck usually doesn't run this way, but today was a good day! I'm sure you have gotten good fortune and luck in life that I can only dream about. Why get mad because someone said the right thing and got an additional rebate. Amazon has its reasons for who it gives rebates to, and who it doesn't. Stop e-crying. you still got a deal @ $99.

I just find it disingenuous on the part of Amazon to reply to my request with a "Look at the terms of the rebate, stupid" response, while others who made the same request under the same conditions got a "You have extenuating circumstances" response.

I doubt that there are any rational reasons that Amazon did this, it was pure arbitrage. You could argue that Amazon can't afford to give the discount to everyone, but they gave the discount to a select few betting that they'll gain extra business from them. But this strategy ignores the loss of goodwill from customers who find out that they've been treated differently for no reason.

Anyways, congrats on getting an especially good deal. At the end of the day, all that matters is finding audio bliss.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #73 of 101
Nothing to complain about here either. And for some reason, they seem to fit very easily with the OEM tip that came on them. Now that's very strange. I still want to reshell them, but I really do like the sound, and the clarity and crispness to the soung sig is excellent, without being harsh. I may run them in for a few hours tonight, just for kicks (I know, BAs don't burn in), but other than that, you'd be hard-pressed to find a nicer in-ear for the MSRP, much less $100. I don't have my UM3X right now, so can't compare real time (they developed the buzzing driver syndrome and are in for repair/replacement, not sure which yet), but I have to say, I do like the in your face sig of the Trips. Going to be tough to beat these IEMs as my top tier keepers. But again, I need to do much more listening.

I used the Trips both out of my Zune and Sony X-1061, and both sounded fantastic. I may take the treble down one click on the Sony, but that's all. Bass seems tight to me, not flabby at all. Have to go out, but expect more extensive listening over the weekend. Deadlines the balance of the week.

Update:

Changed over to the Complys, but not sure if I like them, seem to veil the highs a bit. Going to try the hybrids.

Hybrids, large, are very comfy, and the sound is back to crisp. May be the keepers for now. Need to figure it all out.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #74 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just find it disingenuous on the part of Amazon to reply to my request with a "Look at the terms of the rebate, stupid" response, while others who made the same request under the same conditions got a "You have extenuating circumstances" response.

Did you take no for an answer?

I sent them an e-mail last night asking if they would honor the $50 rebate even though I ordered just a few hours before the rebate came into effect. Late last night I got a form letter restating the terms of the rebate and saying I wasn't eligible. So when they sent a follow up e-mail asking if my question was answered I said No, and used the "call me" function. I explained the situation to the CSR, told him about the changing ship dates and the rebate issue and asked if he could honor the rebate for me since it's not going to ship until the 22nd.

2 minutes later I have a $50 credit.

Also, remember it's easier to catch flies with honey than it is with vinegar. Being a CSR can be a crappy job. Make their experience on the phone with you a good one that makes them smile and they'll do almost anything for you.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #75 of 101
I just received mine from Logitech. I am coming from Klipsch Image S4.

My initial impression (from a bass head)
I bought my S4s for 77$ from BestBuy and I was really pleased with the sound quality and the bass response. After a week I see that the TF10 are selling for 99$ and of course I jump on the train. I received them today and tried them out with the types of music that I mostly listen to, which are RnB, Vocal Trance, etc bass-centric.

Now, I am not entirely sure that I got a perfect seal but from what I can feel I think its pretty good. I'm using the comply foam tips. Being the bass head that I am, the first thing I'm searching for is the bass response. To my disappointment the bass was there, but it simple lacks the punchlines and depth that I want it to have. Compared to my S4, I would definitely go with the S4's here. The treble is extremely clean on the TF10 and I can definitely pick a lot of details that my S4 might have overshadowed.

Another thing to note is the size and comfort level of the TF10 compared to the S4. The TF10 are bulky headphones thats for sure, whereas the S4's are quite small compared to the TF10. The comfort level and easiness of "just putting them and start listening" of the S4 is incomparable. The S4's are just so easy and comfortable to use, there is absolutely no comparison to the bulky TF10.

Overall I am not impressed with the TF10, and I will be probably trading them for a more bass centric IEM, like the Atrio M5 or a Sennheiser IE8 (although I don't know if someone would want to trade their IE8's for a TF10).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back