Anyone else actually prefer the Shure SRH940s over their younger brother 840s?
Oct 1, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
If I could audition them it would definitely help....out of the clip. There definitely are a lot of glowing reviews, but I read a lot of the same about the k70X and I was pretty disappointed in them. So far the hd580 is the only phone I've found lives up to the hype....and has the balance I like between lows, mids, and highs....as well as a nice 'full', rich sound....not overly airy and light like the 702. Unfortunately they need a dedicated amp.

I cannot praise them enough, as I used the 840s for 6 months prior to getting my 940s and I really cannot find a reason to use my 840s anymore, I let people borrow them more often than not. I'm not Shure (I made a funny!) what kind of driving power the clip has but i can get the 940s up to ear splitting volumes and for a portable setup it's so solid :D. If the clip has anywhere near the driving potential as the iPhone 4 you won't be disappointed.

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #17 of 22
my overwhelming vote goes to the 940.. vs 840 for a thousand personal reasons.
The way to move ahead is to buy one, listen to it on your gears,
keep it if u love it. 

Otherwise, just pass it on to another headfier...i already did. spread the LOVE.  lol

Would it compete with top tier cans...if i were to choose between a closedcan T5p vs 940, i would take the 940.
these two are very similar to my ears.

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #18 of 22
Heck no.  Definitely the other camp.  if they actually produced the 940 decently balanced (all they needed to do was produce the mid-bass flat instead of recessed) these would heave been very good closed cans.

Too coloured for me.  840's FTW. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #21 of 22
I liked the 840 more for the bass,the treble was slightly more sparkly, but I found it was a little more finicky with some of my cds.I prefer the 940 for this reason and with the bass being so tight I dont mind that its a little low on the mid bass,really dont feel like Im missing anything.the more I listen to them the more I love them!Both represent the vocals beautifully.Anyone that gravitates towards vocally prominent music would do them selves a favor to audition either one of these great phones.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #22 of 22
I'm  also keeping my eye on the new 1840 coming out soon.Its sounds like it might be out of my price range and I prefer closed cans for listening privacy.But the 1840 still have me intrigued they are a good looking phone but that isnt what its all about is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back