Anyone else actually prefer the Shure SRH940s over their younger brother 840s?
Oct 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Baiton

100+ Head-Fier
I personally think the extra detail and super clear/extended highs make up for the slight lack of bass (Which isn't as apparent with decent amplification),

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 22
I've said it before and I will say it again, the SRH-940's are the best value high fidelity headphone on the market, it seriously competes in the 1k category, it is that good, I take them over the LCD-2's anytime. Only one caveat if you are a bass-head, they will not be for you.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 22
I've said it before and I will say it again, the SRH-940's are the best value high fidelity headphone on the market, it seriously competes in the 1k category, it is that good, I take them over the LCD-2's anytime. Only one caveat if you are a bass-head, they will not be for you.

Exactly, it's unreal how much quality Shure pumped out at such a low price point, relative to audiophilia of course.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 22
Nope - and I'm not a basshead either.  I had the SRH940s for about 3 weeks.  Really tried to enjoy them - in the end they just sounded too coloured/unnatural - couldn't get used to the lack of mid-bass.  I would consider the 840 again if I needed  closed can.

For some the 940's will be great - but for me, the longer I had them, the more I found the overall signature annoying.  If Shure would release something between the 840 and the 940 (take the best of both), I think they'd have a real winner.

I ended up getting the HD600 in the end (after I sold the SRH940), and now I'm very happy.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 22
Nope - and I'm not a basshead either.  I had the SRH940s for about 3 weeks.  Really tried to enjoy them - in the end they just sounded too coloured/unnatural - couldn't get used to the lack of mid-bass.  I would consider the 840 again if I needed  closed can.

For some the 940's will be great - but for me, the longer I had them, the more I found the overall signature annoying.  If Shure would release something between the 840 and the 940 (take the best of both), I think they'd have a real winner.

I ended up getting the HD600 in the end (after I sold the SRH940), and now I'm very happy.

That's a shame, i'm sorry you didn't really like them. I'll vouch for them all day long though haha.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 22
So they really come up short in the bass department when compared to the hd600? I was interested in the 940 until I read your post. I'm really enjoying the bass of the hd580 I recently purchased, and would likely feel that something's missing if I had to give that up with the 940.

Quote:

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
That's a shame, i'm sorry you didn't really like them. I'll vouch for them all day long though haha.

Different folks, different strokes.  Has been funny watching the threads on the 940 though.  They are definitely a polarising headphone.  And I'm not alone in regarding the sound as unnatural (Tyll even said he preferred the SRH840 to the SRH940).  You have to go with whatever pleases you though - we are all unique after all.  I really liked the mid-range on them - and they were fantastic for some genres - but in the end they just weren't for me.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
So they really come up short in the bass department when compared to the hd600? I was interested in the 940 until I read your post. I'm really enjoying the bass of the hd580 I recently purchased, and would likely feel that something's missing if I had to give that up with the 940. 

For me they did (come up short).  But I'd really encourage you to try them yourself - it's the only way to know.  A lot of people really like them - I did initially as well.

Easiest way to describe the bass (my opinion only) is that it was really clear and well defined, and extended really well - but there was a hole in the mid-bass (you can even see it on the freq charts).  The dip isn't large, but for me it threw the whole sound "off" - just sounded completely unnatural after a while.

My personal pref is for natural and balanced sounding - which is something that I find both the DT880 and the HD600 do incredibly well.  HD600 particularly - the bass is there, extends well, and is impactful when needed.

But like I say - try and get a chance to hear the SRH940 - it's really only something you can decide for yourself after spending time with them.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
Different folks, different strokes.  Has been funny watching the threads on the 940 though.  They are definitely a polarising headphone.  And I'm not alone in regarding the sound as unnatural (Tyll even said he preferred the SRH840 to the SRH940).  You have to go with whatever pleases you though - we are all unique after all.  I really liked the mid-range on them - and they were fantastic for some genres - but in the end they just weren't for me.

Can you link me to this?

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 22

Out of curiosity will you be using a headphone amp with your 940s? If you decide to pick them up of course. I feel they have more than enough bass, if amped and the rest of its AMAZING traits make up for it.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
Out of curiosity will you be using a headphone amp with your 940s? If you decide to pick them up of course. I feel they have more than enough bass, if amped and the rest of its AMAZING traits make up for it.

That's the problem. I love the hd580, but there's times when I don't want to listen out of a desktop amp. I was thinking of the Shures for listening in bed out of my Clip or a cheap portable amp. I have the k240DF as well, which is pretty amazing in every area but the bass....but it also needs a dedicated amp.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 22
That's the problem. I love the hd580, but there's times when I don't want to listen out of a desktop amp. I was thinking of the Shures for listening in bed out of my Clip or a cheap portable amp. I have the k240DF as well, which is pretty amazing in every area but the bass....but it also needs a dedicated amp.

I have yet to try it, but I heard the Fiio e5 and the e7 both compliment the 940s, but SERIOUSLY, give them a go before you dismiss them from your list of must look ats. I can run them out of my iPhone 4 without any problems and it sounds halfway decent, and the Clip is a mini marvel so i wouldn't worry too much, I for one LOVE my 940s.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
Can you link me to this?

See immediately below:

Quote:
The acoustics inside the HD 800 cups are pretty stellar from what I can see in the measurements and hear.  I woud say they are probably the most accurate, and best imaging dynamic headphones out there. I don't know where you're getting the idea that the HD 800 has poor acoustics from, but it's a bad source.

The Shure 940 is a poor sounding headphone, IMO. The 840 outperforms it easily, again, IMO.

Saying they sound similar is one of the weirder things I've read here.

Post was part of this infamous discussion 
wink.gif
(http://www.head-fi.org/t/533716/shure-srh-940/1485#post_7758390)

There were a few (including myself) who agreed that the 840 sounded better.  But like I say - it's completely subjective.  Others love the SRH940.  No-one is right or wrong.  It's a pity that a lot of people feel they have to attack other's choices, or defend their own to the death.  Does make for interesting reading though 
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:

See immediately below:

Post was part of this infamous discussion 
wink.gif
(http://www.head-fi.org/t/533716/shure-srh-940/1485#post_7758390)

There were a few (including myself) who agreed that the 840 sounded better.  But like I say - it's completely subjective.  Others love the SRH940.  No-one is right or wrong.  It's a pity that a lot of people feel they have to attack other's choices, or defend their own to the death.  Does make for interesting reading though 
biggrin.gif

Well i know i love my shure 840s but one of these days i will try the 940s. I don't know what it is but i have a mentality i must won the highest level for shure srh series headphones or at least try them.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
I have yet to try it, but I heard the Fiio e5 and the e7 both compliment the 940s, but SERIOUSLY, give them a go before you dismiss them from your list of must look ats. I can run them out of my iPhone 4 without any problems and it sounds halfway decent, and the Clip is a mini marvel so i wouldn't worry too much, I for one LOVE my 940s.

If I could audition them it would definitely help....out of the clip. There definitely are a lot of glowing reviews, but I read a lot of the same about the k70X and I was pretty disappointed in them. So far the hd580 is the only phone I've found that lives up to the hype....and has the balance I like between lows, mids, and highs....as well as a nice 'full', rich sound....not overly airy and light like the 702. Unfortunately they need a dedicated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back