Anybody who says Grado's don't have enough bass is silly!
Jul 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #31 of 47
Well said! I've definitely started to appreciate the balance (that the bass brings) to the rest of the sound of the 325i which definitely does make them more than adequate (based on the quality of the recording). 

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #32 of 47
The SR60s actually do have a surprising amount of bass for an open headphone when they are properly amped. Unamped, they do sound thin and anemic.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #33 of 47

Quote:
Well said! I've definitely started to appreciate the balance (that the bass brings) to the rest of the sound of the 325i which definitely does make them more than adequate (based on the quality of the recording). 

WHOA, I didn't know you were a Gradophile!

Ety's AND Grados huh? A man after my own heart! Yeah the bass on SR-60's, not even SR-225's is quite good. I listened to some HE-500's this weekend though and you really do get more of everything. I think under 300, I haven't found a major headphone that impresses me quite yet, save for DT880's and K701s. I thought both were terrible and dry and boring back in 2007, but then again I also thought Grados were too. It really varies with music honestly.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #34 of 47
I have to update my experience with my Grado 325i Goldies - Paired with the headstage arrow 3G with Bass on 2, Gain 1, IMP/Cross off - The bass just blew me away!! Never knew the Grados had the capability!!  Songs tested/needed to mention:  Outkast Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, Blackalicious Alphabet Aerobics,  Dead Prez Hip Hop, the sound providers the field - all lossless = INSANE BASS!!

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #35 of 47

Quote:
The problem is the bass extension, I wouldn't quite get Grado for hiphop, dubstep for example.

Here's a good test, at 0:32 you should start hearing a constant ~20Hz bass rumble in the song that is played through the whole song, I bet with Grado's you won't even hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonmhUBsXOY (or you might hear something if you turn the volume up a lot and also have the vocals screaming like mad in your ears :p)

My K601's picked this up quite nicely, bit of a surprise really being diet-lite in all bass areas, the detail retrieval helps here.

Put me down for the silly camp, it's difficult to express - bass impact is ample on some material especially when amped but as someone else remarked for the lack of better word - it's the wrong sort of bass, lacking extension and subterranean rumble.
Bit much to expect from headphones many would say without having to resort to eg, XB500 which comes with it's own set
of compromise.

Interestingly, it is my Daft Punk collection that is driving my pursuit for an alternative answer.
Once you hear 'Homework' on a good system, you'll be seeking out the impossible like Don Quixote
for the same sound with cans.

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #36 of 47
Using the words "Grado" and "insane bass" in the same sentence?
confused_face%281%29.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #38 of 47

Quote:
It's definitely not a vinyl characteristic.  I'm assuming from both that comment and your handle (what a bargain for such a fun car BTW) that you didn't grow up listening to vinyl like we old guys did.  It's the highly compressed 80s' metal/rock crappy recording that is the likely culprit.  For some reason 80's pop/rock music recordings are spectacularly poor, no matter what the medium.  The sound engineers ruined a lot of good music for posterity back then.

A bit OT...there were many terrific recording engineers back then, of course. 
Often it was the producer - at the behest of the record label - who was to blame for those odd sounding recordings.

Records (and cassettes) were produced to sound 'good' on car speakers,
as well as on the moderately priced hi-fi systems of the day.

And, perhaps most importantly, records were produced to sound 'good' on FM radio, which was - by far - the dominant market force in pop/rock music at the time.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #39 of 47

Quote:
Grado has enough bass, it's really only lacking for Hip Hop/Dubstep/etc where you need more sub-bass. 

Yeah they basically only sound good until you switch to listening to really good music

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #42 of 47
I finally had a chance to try the 60s and yah that's the first thing i thought of, i think people mean compared to other phones they don't really have any but obviously there will be some present.....also i was listening to them through an amp so i'm sure that had to do with it as well. I didn't notice any of that "bright" treble though, maybe you have to listen to the right song for it to show up. The 80s will be mine very soon.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #43 of 47
I agree, Grado's have plenty of bass.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #44 of 47

Quote:
I finally had a chance to try the 60s and yah that's the first thing i thought of, i think people mean compared to other phones they don't really have any but obviously there will be some present.....also i was listening to them through an amp so i'm sure that had to do with it as well. I didn't notice any of that "bright" treble though, maybe you have to listen to the right song for it to show up. The 80s will be mine very soon.

The SR60's are the least bright, compared to the rest of the prestige series.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #45 of 47
I recently gave my SR60i to my sister, asked her to give it a run. After playing a few tracks on iTunes she took them off and looked at the headphone in disbelief and said how can this cheap looking plastic thing sound this good? I had the same reaction when I first got them myself. It made me smile and nod wisely, satisfied. 

Bass wise, the SR60i rewired my brain on the definition of 'correct' bass as I always thought that that artificial, bloated, and boomy bass from my cheap Philips & Altec Lansing ACS45.1 was the real deal there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back