Anybody heard of Sony MDR-CD555?
Jun 15, 2007 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

balou

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,
just found those in a thrift store. I had a quick listen with my cmoy - bass not to boomy, and they do have some soundstage. After listening ten seconds, I was convinced that they were worth the price.

Now at home - compared to the Sennheiser HD497, they sound a lot more emotional. HD497s are quite dull and boring in comparison. But the CD555 are a tad less precise and resolving.

Compared to the SR80 - well, the SR80 clearly has the best features of both, plus the very detailed highs. But for the price, you really can't complain.

They seem to be half-closed... they have a slit in the back where sound leaks out. And according to the cord length, they don't seem to be made for portable use. They have a 3.5mm plug with a thread for a 6.35mm adaptor. So, looks like they were made for home listening and/or studio use.

Has anybody some info on these? Couldn't really find anything here on the forums, nor elsewhere on the internet. When were they made, what are the technical specs, what was the intended use etc...

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 15
cd555.jpg

Here's a pic. As it seems, this headphone is something like the Sony MDR-V6 and the MDR-7506. Well, only question is, what is this "something" exactly?
biggrin.gif

I listened some more to it, and I really like it! On the bus ride home, it managed to tone down high frequency noises a bit - the bus engine was turned into a low growling instead of a wideband noise. Soundwise, it really comes close to the SR80. It seems to even have a more 'fun' characteristic, at the cost of some refinement and a bit unpreciser soundstage. Considering that I paid 20 times less for it than for my grados, this is indeed very good.

P.S.: I'm a bit afraid of listening vinyl with it. It states "for digital". Maybe it explodes if I connect it to a turntable
rolleyes.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 15
The CD555s go back to at least 1992 and are one of several dozen that have the MDR V6 style. On a seperate note the Sony MDR V6 has also been around since the early 90s and I think still in production. Amazon has sets on sale for 40 bucks or so and they are real decent headphones with nice vocals. Anyone of the HP historians might do a little historical profile of these venerable Sony headphones.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 15
Just did a resistance measurement this morning. The Grados, as expected, have 32ohm @0hz. the cd555 have 44ohm @0hz.. strange.. The 7506 seems to have 64ohm impedance, and I thought that I read somewhere that the v6 has only 24 ohm impedance. Is there a different driver in the cd555, or do they have such a wildly varying impedance over the frequency spectrum?

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 15
thanks serge.
south africa?
blink.gif

I wonder how it came to switzerland, and I also wonder how much it is based on the mdr-v6, because at DC it got 40 ohms impedance

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #14 of 15
I Used to own a pair back in 1991 and regret selling them :frowning2: However I do own a pair of old MDR-7506's and would like to know if there is any perceivable difference between the two cans sound quality wise?

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 15
I got like vintage pair Sony MDR-CD555 still use them til today sometimes in editing video and music in studio it's dope seriously all good in clean condtion it's for sale 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back