Anybody have experience with Volvos?
Feb 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Volvo make/made solid cars.
Maybe not all up there on performance, handling, design and such, but they last "forever"

I'm looking at the performance version, the 850R. This means it has a high pressure turbo 5 cylinder, making 240hp with sport suspension and brakes. Back then, they were extremely fast cars, considering most other sedans and wagons at the time had only 130-170hp or so. Here's a pic for reference:

850R3.jpg

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 74
I have a friend who has an 850R and its going strong after 200k. I have an 81 Wagon with 344k on it and still going strong. The FWD cars are harder to work on and therefore more expensive. you can take it to an independent mechanic and have them check it over for $100. If your serious that would be a good investement to find out if there are any serious issues. you can also read up here at the Brick Board

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 74
Yeah, I'm already a member on swedespeed, purely because I have a car lust for these things. I'm just unsure of it.... I like volvos, but I don't know that much about them. Forums can help but they rarely share personal experiences, and purely focus on tech data.

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #20 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...that is the best looking volvo ever made...

I propose that the P1800ES is the best looking Volvo ever made.

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 74
Yeah, I agree. But it's more of a classic now. P1800s are hot. I've wanted one for a while, but I'm not going to get one and drive it in the winter, that'd be cruel. In terms of modern volvos, I like 850s and V70s... newer stuff just doesn't have the same style. The C30 is pretty neat, but I hear it's really soft. Too bad.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #23 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right. like all european cars: the engines are phenomenal and the wiring is bad. your windscreen wipers will probably short and taillights etc. nothing to worry about but it is european. other than that, i envy you ery much. that is the best looking volvo ever made and consequently one of the nicest cars ever to grace the road.

100% agree

my first car was a volvo, engine still ran after 430,000 some odd miles, however the wiring was shot to hell and back, and I got to watch it cook off the entire electrical system in one go as a result, back to american cars with typical american problems for me (I can handle leaks, knocks, ticks, rattles, and shakes)

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #24 of 74
Joining a Volvo owners' club if there's a local one would be a good plan. You can sometimes get much cheaper parts and information through them, as well as reliable cars from other members.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #25 of 74
Cash68, it seems like you already made up your mind and you are going to buy the Volvo anyway.

But let me warn you, I had a Volvo 850, the 95 year model and it was a maintenance nightmare.

I over a years time I spent $3,500 to keep it running without any issue.

First, I spent $1700 to repair the transmission,
then I spent 800 to repair the blown head gasket,
then I spent 150 to fix the power seat,
the stereo broke and then the power sun roof,
I also, spent an additional 800 trouble shooting the issues and buying part that I either needed or didn't.

Volvos are over engineered and when they get about 7 years old, there are too many bells and whistles on the car that keep breaking.

Instead of playing video games, you will be spending all your free time and weekends working on your car. Let me just say, I warned you.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #26 of 74
Volvospeed: Performance Maintenance Repairs and More

Check em out
wink.gif

I drove a 2000 V70SE for a few years, great car mechanically so long as they're well maintained, just make sure you get things fixed as soon as you sense a problem. The 850R, being an older car, has less of the more common electrical problems caused by advancing technology.

If it's Laser Blue you're all set
wink.gif
I love Laser Blue...

If you have any questions shoot me a PM and I'll do the best I can to help
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #27 of 74
x 100,000,000 for Shigzeo.

The Volvo S70 that I have from 1998 has a passenger side window that doesn't like to stay in the window line and thus there is tiny gap when all the way up. NONE of the locks work 100%. Audio needed to be rewired because the left side would occasionally short (fixed now). The cup holders are completely useless as they are an afterthought since apparently only americans drink coffee in their car.

The Engine runs without fail and the interior looks brand new after a good wash. I have been hit twice by other cars and their cars had really messed up bumpers while mine was fine with no damage. Gotta give Volvo the built like a tank standard - even if it does eat gas faster than it should.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #28 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cash68, it seems like you already made up your mind and you are going to buy the Volvo anyway.

No, I haven't. In order to get the volvo I'd be selling my subaru:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2289595

So_hot__so_wet_by_cash68.jpg

Svxy_by_cash68.jpg

I've put a ton of time and money into this thing, and I like it a lot.... but the body is starting to rot everywhere, someone hit the 1/4 panel, last week my windshield cracked and a new windshield is $952 plus installation, and recently it's started missing (the first real problem I've had with it, at 198,500 miles). So now I either have to put money into a car with a rusty body, or get something else. I've taken this thing across country, camping, backpacking, street racing, top end racing, quarter mile racing, and all sorts of adventures with it, and I'm not sure if I should step up to something newer without rust, or what. I think I should at least test drive what I'm interested in though.

Quote:

But let me warn you, I had a Volvo 850, the 95 year model and it was a maintenance nightmare.

Yeah, the guys on the volvo forums say to avoid 95s, they were POSs.

Quote:

I over a years time I spent $3,500 to keep it running without any issue.

First, I spent $1700 to repair the transmission,
then I spent 800 to repair the blown head gasket,
then I spent 150 to fix the power seat,
the stereo broke and then the power sun roof,
I also, spent an additional 800 trouble shooting the issues and buying part that I either needed or didn't.

How was it maintained before that? How often was the transmission's fluid changed?

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #29 of 74
Feb 17, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #30 of 74
I've seen about 3 SVXs my whole life here. They look pretty cool and are underappreciated imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back