Anybody have experience with Volvos?
Feb 17, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #31 of 74
Yeah, but they're all automatics. It's kinda pissing me off. Mine's been a great car, but I don't know. Things are starting to go wrong at 198k. Plus my windshield just cracked, and that's a $1000 right there. It's kinda stupid to fix, considering the car is worth $3000 max. I just don't know what to do.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #32 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right. like all european cars: the engines are phenomenal and the wiring is bad. your windscreen wipers will probably short and taillights etc. nothing to worry about but it is european. other than that, i envy you ery much. that is the best looking volvo ever made and consequently one of the nicest cars ever to grace the road.

LOL that is almost exactly my Volvo experience...

I had an '81 240GLT. Awesome engine, and a true driver's car, but the wiring went bad, and the wipers broke as I was driving down the highway in the damn rain... It's a crying shame that they switched to FWD and predominantly automatics. That thing was as fun to drive as the 280ZX I had (the Volvo was the 2 door turbo model with sport suspension)... If I got on it, it would fishtale in third (wet pavement) when the turbo hit...good times!

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #34 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had an '81 240. Awesome engine, and a true driver's car,

I quit reading right there. 240s? A driver's car? You must be on crack.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #35 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem with cars like that is the cost of parts, a 17 inch alum wheel for my Toyota is 470 dollars and an 18 inch alum wheel for my Jeep 180.

Uh, what the hell are you doing to your wheels? Why would you be replacing wheels often? I agree with your statement, but that is an incredibly stupid example. People normally don't replace wheels, and if they do, they get something cooler and lighter from the aftermarket.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #36 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, what the hell are you doing to your wheels? Why would you be replacing wheels often? I agree with your statement, but that is an incredibly stupid example. People normally don't replace wheels, and if they do, they get something cooler and lighter from the aftermarket.

I replaced one wheel on the toyota that my wife scraped. The price for the jeep wheels is on the mopar website. So I guess the only stupid this is assuming one wheel is more than one wheel. I also think its a good example since you get the point and you agree with me.

This is cool.
imagehandler.ashx

This is stupid.
avarus_av1_sdcpsl_ci3_l.jpg

I think the wheels that came with the car are fine without the LL Cool J treatment.
Right_side.JPG

Next time reserve the "Stupid" comments for yourself.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #37 of 74
I still don't understand what you are even talking about. Who replaces wheels on a regular basis?

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #38 of 74
Quote:

I replaced one wheel on the toyota that my wife scraped. The price for the jeep wheels is on the mopar website. So I guess the only stupid this is assuming one wheel is more than one wheel. I also think its a good example since you get the point and you agree with me.

This is cool.
imagehandler.ashx

This is stupid.

I think the wheels that came with the car are fine without the LL Cool J treatment.
Right_side.JPG

Quote:

I still don't understand what you are even talking about. Who replaces wheels on a regular basis?

Maybe you need to read again.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #39 of 74
Quote:

This is cool.
imagehandler.ashx

This is stupid.

Right_side.JPG

Quote:

The point was that parts for a Volvo will cost you a ton. I have no idea why my example needed to tun into a discussion about wheels.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #40 of 74
You'd have to hit a curb at high speeds in order to damage it badly enough to warrant replacement.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #41 of 74
Quote:

You'd have to hit a curb at high speeds in order to damage it badly enough to warrant replacement.

Or maybe I just didnt like the way it looked.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #42 of 74
Uh, okay? I guess what I'm trying to say is that user error shouldn't account into the cost of owning a car. I mean, yeah, a car could be reliable, but if you hit a tree or do something else stupid, it's going to cost a lot. I still don't see what you mean with the whole broken rim thing. That's like saying Apple computers are expensive because I dropped my laptop and the screen cost a lot to replace. It just doesn't relate to typical, normal experience with proper use of the product.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #43 of 74
Trust me: subaru were in diapers when volvo were racing in the snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBvDZluUn4I

while this video is recent with only about a 20-30 year old volvo, the same still applies. subaru might do okay on places where there is a road or track but volvo seriously were the original off road vehicle/traktor for scandinavia.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #44 of 74
Uh, sure, I'm just not sure how a 3000lb car with only 90-140hp is anywhere remotely close to being a "driver's car". They're slower than slow. :|

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #45 of 74
Quote:

Uh, sure, I'm just not sure how a 3000lb car with only 90-140hp is anywhere remotely close to being a "driver's car". They're slower than slow. :|

the old 240 turbos handled pretty well and were fun to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back