Anybody have experience with Volvos?
Feb 18, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #61 of 74
>slaps head<

Okay, fine then. A 1976 AMC Pacer is a real driver's car. A 1996 Chrysler Sebring is a real driver's car. A 1994 Ford Festiva is a real driver's car. A yugo is a real driver's car. A chevette is a real driver's car. A 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera is a real driver's car.

You're right. Everything is a driver's car, because everything can be modified.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #62 of 74
Yeah, I dont get the whole buy a junker and drop every dime you ever get slapping on parts mentality. Maybe if its newer and more of a daily driver and less of a pet project?!?!?!?!?!?

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #63 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
>slaps head<

Okay, fine then. A 1976 AMC Pacer is a real driver's car. A 1996 Chrysler Sebring is a real driver's car. A 1994 Ford Festiva is a real driver's car. A yugo is a real driver's car. A chevette is a real driver's car. A 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera is a real driver's car.

You're right. Everything is a driver's car, because everything can be modified.

I find it funny how you pick fights with everyone,its like you live off calling people stupid.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #65 of 74
Quote:

Right. It couldn't possibly be that people have stupid opinions.

Some would say the same about yours

why do you have to insult people left and right?

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #66 of 74
Okay, in this thread, I was talking about 850Rs. Then someone brought up the 240, a generally ~100hp, 3000lb car, and referred to it as a driver's car. Then I explained why I thought that statement was ridiculous, and apparently everyone was referring to heavily modified 240s as driver's cars, not stock ones. By that rational, every vehicle on earth is a driver's car. If you upgrade the power, handling, braking on anything enough, it will be a driver's car. So, by that rational, I thought it was a STUPID opinion.

Oh, and then what's her name started talking about V70s for some random reason, and how they aren't slow, which didn't related to the conversation at all.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #67 of 74
Quote:

Anybody have experience with Volvos?

Quote:

Oh, and then what's her name started talking about V70s for some random reason, and how they aren't slow,

If you didn't want anyone to mention any Volvo other than the 850Rs, then perhaps you should have been more specific in your thread title.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #68 of 74
Quote:

Okay, in this thread, I was talking about 850Rs. Then someone brought up the 240, a generally ~100hp, 3000lb car, and referred to it as a driver's car. Then I explained why I thought that statement was ridiculous, and apparently everyone was referring to heavily modified 240s as driver's cars, not stock ones. By that rational, every vehicle on earth is a driver's car. If you upgrade the power, handling, braking on anything enough, it will be a driver's car. So, by that rational, I thought it was a STUPID opinion.

Oh, and then what's her name started talking about V70s for some random reason, and how they aren't slow, which didn't related to the conversation at all.

You really must have some anger issues. Chill out,man.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #69 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you didn't want anyone to mention any Volvo other than the 850Rs, then perhaps you should have been more specific in your thread title.

Reread the thread. She had already responded with her experience. Her comment about V70s being powerful was a second response to everyone discussing how slow the 240 is. It didn't make any sense.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #70 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really must have some anger issues. Chill out,man.

You are correct sir. I do have some anger issues; my tolerance for stupidity is low, and when I encounter it I don't know how to react other than to get angry. Mary Jane chills me out, but I can't do that for a while because I'm looking to get hired in a few months, and don't want flunk a test because of it. So... yeah... I'm on edge.. graduation, relationship issues, and my inability to cope with stupidity all add up. Sorry for pissing you off.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #71 of 74
Quote:

You are correct sir. I do have some anger issues; my tolerance for stupidity is low, and when I encounter it I don't know how to react other than to get angry. Mary Jane chills me out, but I can't do that for a while because I'm looking to get hired in a few months, and don't want flunk a test because of it. So... yeah... I'm on edge.. graduation, relationship issues, and my inability to cope with stupidity all add up. Sorry for pissing you off.

Theres a difference between being intolerant towards stupidity and just being rude. If someone gives you information that you don't want then just politely tell them about what you wish to seek. If they still don't give you what you want then just walk away and find someone else. You'll annoy and drive away a lot of people if you just snap at people and grumble. People don't have all the answers all the time.

Just relax,meditate or go for a drive. It ends up making for a happier forum.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #73 of 74
My friend had an old 240, and it was as much a driver's car as it was a cement mixer, and it accelerated like one, too. He had a 85mph speeding ticket proudly displayed on his wall as proof that his car could, in fact, hit 85, since no one really believed him.

He has a Scion TC now, and to be honest, as a driver's car, it's only slightly better. Body roll, understeer, lousy transmission (he has the 5-speed stick), vibration at speed... At least it's reliable.

RE OP: I'm not sure how much budget you have to work with, but if I were in your situation, I'd save up for a year or so and get a regular WRX. Old volvos are an electrical nightmare, even though the engine and transmission will keep going forever. You're liable to either put in an awful lot of time, or money, or both, to keep it in good shape. You might as well save up the money that you're going to be spending on it next year, and then get something that's newer and more reliable outright.

I understand irrational fascination with certain cars; I've wanted an RX-8 forever even though they're slow and unreliable. But trust me on this one, it's not worth the headaches, and especially the money.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #74 of 74
240hp with FWD just means you'll understeer into a tree. Anyways, unless you plan on spending lots of time and cash on stupid electrical repairs, than I would never recommend an older Volvo (or a new one for that matter, being the Ford POS that it is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back