Anybody have experience with Volvos?
Feb 18, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #46 of 74
You can set up those old bricks to really run around a corner like glue. They have a lot of potential in their chassis and their engines respond well to basic modifications.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #47 of 74
yeah, until you have driven a 240, you have no idea. very nice. but the newer ones like 740-760 turbos flew like bloody thunder across the artic north with vengence toward the north sea until their bloody beards dried in the wind: the wind of the screams of the english... (what?)

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #49 of 74
You guys, I'm not debating newer volvos. They seem great. But a 240?! Those are notorious for being as slow as molasses. 140hp. 3000lb car. Most had less than 100hp.

Here:

Car Lust: Volvo 240DL

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #50 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys, I'm not debating newer volvos. They seem great. But a 240?! Those are notorious for being as slow as molasses. 140hp. 3000lb car. Most had less than 100hp.

Here:

Car Lust: Volvo 240DL

Accel isnt everything. You should know that with your 4wsteering prelude

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #51 of 74
Huh? The prelude is a sports coupe. It's 2600lbs and has 135hp. That's the more power than most 240s ever had, with 300lbs less weight. It accelerates fine. It's pretty comparable to my SVX.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

Huh? The prelude is a sports coupe. It's 2600lbs and has 135hp. That's the more power than most 240s ever had, with 300lbs less weight. It accelerates fine. It's pretty comparable to my SVX.

they made 2 door 240's. 100lb = 10hp so say one of the Turbo 240's made say 150hp and was 3000.

3000-2600 = 400/10=40

150-135=15

40-15=25

25hp diff can easily be fixed via gear ratio... hell 40 hp diff can be fixed by gear ratio.

It didn't go in a straight line from 0-60 very quickly but they handled very well in a FR layout.

TurboBricks | High Performance Volvo Club

go ask them about 240's and how they are slow lame non-driver cars just be sure to wear a flame suit.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #53 of 74
If you drop a SBC into them, yes, they become fast. Other than that, not seeing it. Slowest car I've ever driven, except for maybe a Festiva. My 89 Accord with 98hp was much faster.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #54 of 74
Quote:

If you drop a SBC into them, yes, they become fast. Other than that, not seeing it. Slowest car I've ever driven, except for maybe a Festiva. My 89 Accord with 98hp was much faster.

Go read about some of the rides on TurboBricks then come back and say the same thing. You wouldn't be saying the above had you visited the website. Yay for following directions!

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #55 of 74
I wanted a sports car but my wife has my nads in her purse.
VOLVO-R.jpg

I wanted a fun car to beat on without breaking the bank.
3120232492_dd0dc98e8b.jpg

Why bother wasting your breath on a Volvo since impressing people seems to be the OP's objective? Buy a used Volvo, modify it so the engine is beat in about 3 months and then your lookin at thousands upon thousands of dollars for repairs and parts that you cant afford which is why you bought it used in the first place. A used 5.0 or similar will run great without pinning the tach everyday and parts are cheap.

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #56 of 74
To OP: I'd rather ask that question at Volvospeed. Volvospeed is mostly 90's FWD volvos, which includes 850's and S/V/C 70's. Swedespeed is mostly newer gen volvos, turbobricks is older stuff (240's, 740's).

I've had an 850R stationwagon for years and it has treated me very well. I won't lie though, the car definitely needs maintenance and care, but it'll take care of you as much as you care for it. Also, since it's a volvo, and well, more of a family car, there's a lot of things to look out for before buying the car. The 850R had a handful of odd problems which are easy to prevent, if the owner actually bothered to do that preventative maintenance. Again, something to research on Volvospeed. In terms of notorious problems there are none, the electronics don't randomly fail like on an Audi or a British Leylands car, the engine is quite good, well everything is quite good. Matter of fact the car runs quite good on broken parts, which eventually jumps on you by surprise if you don't keep up with maintenance (had enough of the word by now?)

If you want a manual you're going to have to get one from Canada or swap a 850 base model transmission into it. Not a walk in the park task... all depends how much of an enthusiast you are, I suppose. People think I'm quite crazy for the amount of work I've put into a volvo stationwagon.

If you don't want to spend time or money on maintenance take half of your budget and buy a honda. When said honda blows up you can just take the last half of your budget and buy another honda, the plan should lasts you for quite a while, haha.

Hope this helps... now back to lurking.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #58 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go read about some of the rides on TurboBricks then come back and say the same thing. You wouldn't be saying the above had you visited the website. Yay for following directions!

Uh, I did. Yes, it is true. When you replace the suspension, brakes, exhaust, intake, turbo, injectors, and heads, the car begins to be more of a driver's car.

But in stock form, with 90 some horsepower and 3000lbs, no, I'm sorry, the car sucks ass.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #59 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, there is nothing weak about an S70.

It is actually a very interesting engine and setup.

You can actually tow stuff with that car and it can go fast.

What are you talking about? I was saying newer volvos, being the 850R that I'm looking at, and it's replacement, the V70, as well as all the new ones after that, seem to be great cars with good performance.

The one I was saying was slow as balls is this:
_8d50-Volvo-240-DL.JPG

Less than 100hp, in a 3000lb car. Sure, if you get a turbo model and replace the turbo and do all sorts of other stuff, it might be a fun car. But in stock form, this is the opposite of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back