Any success in converting?
Jun 7, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #31 of 56
I just steer them away from bose and let them make their own decisions after that.

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #32 of 56
My mom has been staying with me on holiday and relieved me of my SR225's, apparently they sound much better than the computer headset thingy she has hooked up to her laptop at home. She also really loved the ones with wooden ear cups (RS1’s) and the ones that look like the safety muffs (DT880) the chaps at the airport wear. It took some real fast talking to persuade her that those particular ones would not suit her in the long run as her Toshiba laptop was in fact a nice shiny black colour which of course match well with the SR225’s. She agreed. Now to persuade her to go lossless with her iTunes and even more dauntingly show her how to go about it.

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #33 of 56
Showed one classmate the E2C (him: "it sounds good...great bass..." others: "Why isn't it Sony/What are those orange things?); one month later, he got Ety Er-6 (uses it at home, not so much at school). Oh well, I got the Senns afterwards...showed his a**
evil_smiley.gif
. Also, my parents appreciate the higher SQ and comfort of my new headphones, although they mostly appreciated the bass and thanked God I haven't wanted any new headphones...yet...

Not so much luck here in "south Alabama" besides that, though. Everybody else still uses iBuds or worse, <$10 iBud replacements.

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #34 of 56
I've pretty much completely failed with my family. My mother still thinks that Bose makes great products and whenever I try to tell her otherwise she rolls her eyes and says "That's just your opinion."
mad.gif

I bought my sister a pair of ksc55 about a year ago and she still uses the stock earbuds that came with the player because "they're good enough." My little brother doesn't care if he's using the HD280, MS1 or stock headphones when he's listening to music. They are sound the same to him.

And they all still think that radio has good music.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Maybe my family is just deaf.
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #35 of 56
I was able to talk one friend into getting Senn. 400 earbuds (he only wanted an earbud that sounded better than the stock Ibuds). After that I begged him to get with me before he ever buys headphones again and he just kind of looked at me as if I was just a little nuts.

A few weeks later I went to the Apple store and listened in horror as the ''resident rocket scientist'' gave a ''class'' on headphones to my friend. She was looking at some 20 - 30 dollar Sony headphones and asked about noise cancelling. This is when the ''rrs'' explained to her that the 30 dollar headphones offered more noise cancellation than the 20 dollar headphones because the earpiece (driver) was bigger. My jaw dropped and all I could think about was that I wish I had brought my Grado SR-60s (which dwarf the Sony headphone he was talking about) with me. As soon as we walked out the store I told her to never buy anything there until she checks with me first.

Shortly after that I brought my Ipod/Cardas LOD/PA2V2/Grado SR-60 rig to work and had my friends listen to songs they knew well at 128 kbs and 320 kbs and they were ALL impressed. However, they still use their Ibuds even after I tell them about 20 dollar KSC-75 headphones.

Like I said before, ''I try in vain...''

Take care, Ed.

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonyao0323
Just got started recently in headphones, and think I'm in it for the long run. Was wondering if any of you guys tried to "convert" any of your friends or relatives from cheap crappy phones to good ones, and if it really stuck on them.

From my personal experience, I've sort of half-converted my brother and one of my friends. Got them to listen to my EX71's a couple months back and both of them picked up a pair of EX51's shortly after. They're satisfied with them so far but unlike me, they didn't really feel the urge to upgrade shortly after. Well, I'll keep trying...
icon10.gif

It wouldn't be hard considering most young people like over-blown bassy phones like the sony EX series. You've just created a basshead. Now he'll think all music has to have lots o' bass and shrill highs to sound good. My young brother has EX51's and still uses bass boost. I let him try my SR225's and he just says there not enough bass.

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

It wouldn't be hard considering most young people like over-blown bassy phones like the sony EX series. You've just created a basshead. Now he'll think all music has to have lots o' bass and shrill highs to sound good. My young brother has EX51's and still uses bass boost. I let him try my SR225's and he just says there not enough bass.

Yeah...it's true that I created a couple of bassheads by introducing them to the EX buds, but at least I got them to stop using iBuds...and that's what matters most
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #39 of 56
Update! last night at dinner, I spoke with a friend I had given a pair of 75's to. He told me he cant tell the difference between the 75's and his Sony earbuds!

I just shook me head.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #40 of 56
Finally yes.

Earlier this week I spotted our temp co-worker using Sony V700 headphones with his 4G ipod. A bit of talking and it turns out he owns turntables for doing DJing. Seems interested in sound quality. So this Tuesday I sent him home with RS1's. Then Wednesday with HD600's w/Cardas cable. Then I had him over and demo'd the L3000/SDS and Taylo Monitors.

He liked the RS1 better than the V700, and liked the HD600 quite a bit more than the RS1. The L3000 was clearly the best in pure sound quality, but he was most blown away by the Taylo monitors (especially their large soundstage and ability to image).

I believe he now has plans to buy Taylos and HD600s in the future
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #41 of 56
I got a friend on ATH-FC7s and Sony MDR-NC11.
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #43 of 56
converterd my sister (bought my 555's), 2 friends (one bought my 497's, the other went cheap and got 202's) and my girlfriend, who thought the px100's were 'cute' and correctly identified my 25-1's as 'headphones made for Arch Enemy'

that's a lot of sennheisers
600smile.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #44 of 56
Got two friends onto e2s, and one of them recently got KSC75s. Also got him to install rockbox on his iPod and stop using iTunes, which he is enjoying. He'll be upgrading soon, I'm pretty sure.

Have to work on the girlfriend next...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back