Any SS amp >= (M3 + S11) ?
Apr 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #16 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah... as I recall, I've seen two who prefer the Caliente to the M^3. I think those who prefer the warmer tube sound, prefer the Caliente... and... those who prefer the colder SS sound prefer the M^3... oh yes... and those who are impressed by "prettier parts."

I havent heard the caliente, but the MMM does not sound like a cold SS amp at all. The mosfet outputs are very warm sounding but still keep the SS speed

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #17 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One could also get the M3+steps for less than 600.

I think with no boutique parts and no fancy features, everyone can get a M^3 + S11 for less than 500, including labor cost.

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #18 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you referring to with 'prettier parts'?
One could also get the M3+steps for less than 600.

I'm referring to the standard BOM for the M^3 and S11 - they're reportedly "better" than for the other amps mentioned - I call them "prettier parts" for those who are so impressed.

I really don't care about how "pretty the parts are," I'm just not a "parts snob." I only care about the reports of the relative SQ - "prettier parts" do not, necessarily, correspond to great SQ. Several have reported they are not as impressed with the sound of the M^3 as other amps - for whatever reasons. I rely on their reports. There is virtually "universal acclaim" for the Caliente, and Solo, and pretty broad support for the SQ of the AG C-2C. The M^3 doesn't enjoy the same amount of "universal acclaim." Hey... what can I tell you.

Hey... if anyone is a big M^3 fan... I suggest they send they're M^3 to Skylab, or SACD Lover, or other respected reviewer, who has had the benefit of hearing most... and... who has some great standards... and let them "size it up," compared to others they've heard. Absent that... I'll just accept the various reviews / comments I've read... including that of Sbulack... who has heard quite a few amps... compared to the M^3. I don't consider his comments "controversial" in the least. I'm not one to "throw out" an opinion of someone, with such broad experience, simply because I don't agree with how they've reviewed "my amp." How "bout you?

And... the last quotes I got from YBM, indicated the price for the combo, was in the area of $600, maybe a bit more, or a bit less, depending on how "pretty the parts are." That did include the OPA627/637s - some fairly "pretty parts." And... as I recall the other builders charge about the same. I just prefer the available casework from YBM. You know... "prettier parts" and all. I'm just a bit reluctant to sink that much in what can reasonably be described, from the divergent opinions, as a "controversial" amp.

Though... I would agree... if someone is willing and able to undertake the build themselves... the "cost" of the M^3 and S11 may well be competitive... and... not such a great risk to give it a try. That would not be me... and... I'm unwilling to invest $500-600+ in an amp, which does not have the benefit of "universal acclaim."

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #19 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havent heard the caliente, but the MMM does not sound like a cold SS amp at all. The mosfet outputs are very warm sounding but still keep the SS speed

Agreed. M^3 is warm and laid-back with the OPA637/627, and clearly so.

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #21 of 116
Quote:

I'm referring to the standard BOM for the M^3 and S11 - they're reportedly "better" than for the other amps mentioned - I call them "prettier parts" for those who are so impressed.

I really don't care about how "pretty the parts are," I'm just not a "parts snob." I only care about the reports of the relative SQ - "prettier parts" do not, necessarily, correspond to great SQ. Several have reported they are not as impressed with the sound of the M^3 as other amps - for whatever reasons. I rely on their reports. There is virtually "universal acclaim" for the Caliente, and Solo, and pretty broad support for the SQ of the AG C-2C. The M^3 doesn't enjoy the same amount of "universal acclaim." Hey... what can I tell you.

Hey... if anyone is a big M^3 fan... I suggest they send they're M^3 to Skylab, or SACD Lover, or other respected reviewer, who has had the benefit of hearing most... and... who has some great standards... and let them "size it up," compared to others they've heard. Absent that... I'll just accept the various reviews / comments I've read... including that of Sbulack... who has heard quite a few amps... compared to the M^3. I don't consider his comments "controversial" in the least. I'm not one to "throw out" an opinion of someone, with such broad experience, simply because I don't agree with how they've reviewed "my amp." How "bout you?

And... the last quotes I got from YBM, indicated the price for the combo, was in the area of $600, maybe a bit more, or a bit less, depending on how "pretty the parts are." That did include the OPA627/637s - some fairly "pretty parts." And... as I recall the other builders charge about the same. I just prefer the available casework from YBM. You know... "prettier parts" and all. I'm just a bit reluctant to sink that much in what can reasonably be described, from the divergent opinions, as a "controversial" amp.

Though... I would agree... if someone is willing and able to undertake the build themselves... the "cost" of the M^3 and S11 may well be competitive... and... not such a great risk to give it a try. That would not be me... and... I'm unwilling to invest $500-600+ in an amp, which does not have the benefit of "universal acclaim."

I believe there are more commerical amps enjoy "pretty parts" effect, they advertise their amps with "cryo, mil spec, tube, blackgate and etc.......", that's why I buy the design of DIY amps.

The reason why DIY are not "univeral acclaim" not only because some review idols or celebrities are more inclined to tube and hybrid amps, it's because people have misconception about DIY amps as well. Whenever their heard about DIY amps, they quickly assume that there's no warranty, in ugly enclosure, not many people use it (because there's no FOTM effect for DIY amps at all).

But if you search harder, especially in Meet Impression thread, you'll find one of the favourite commerical amp builder (at least on HF) is SO impressed with B22
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #23 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe there are more commerical amps enjoy "pretty parts" effect, they advertise their amps with "cryo, mil spec, tube, blackgate and etc.......", that's why I buy the design of DIY amps.

The reason why DIY are not "univeral acclaim" not only because some review idols or celebrities are more inclined to tube and hybrid amps, it's because people have misconception about DIY amps as well. Whenever their heard about DIY amps, they quickly assume that there's no warranty, in ugly enclosure, not many people use it (because there's no FOTM effect for DIY amps at all).

But if you search harder, especially in Meet Impression thread, you'll find one of the favourite commerical amp builder (at least on HF) is SO impressed with B22
smily_headphones1.gif

I was referring to the M^3, not the B22.

There seems to be a bit more consistent acclaim for the B22, than the M^3.

But... then there should be - its "a lot"... that's "a lot"... more expensive. Perhaps... well exceeding the point of "diminishing returns," unless you're a DIYer, and build it yourself.

If I were less "price sensitive" I'd be "all over" the B22 on the FS Forums right now - maybe with a change of faceplates!

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #24 of 116
Quote:

I was referring to the M^3, not the B22.

There seems to be a bit more consistent acclaim for the B22, than the M^3.

But... then there should be - its "a lot"... that's "a lot"... more expensive. Perhaps... well exceeding the point of "diminishing returns," unless you're a DIYer, and build it yourself.

If I were less "price sensitive" I'd be "all over" the B22 on the FS Forums right now - maybe with a change of faceplates!

Most people (including me) like fancy faceplates
smily_headphones1.gif

M³ have as much acclaim too, but "Head-Fi Search" never understood "M³" or "M^3", it provides no result, that's why those M³ reviews by respected members are hard to find.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #25 of 116
Quote:

??? Reportedly better by who? The only parts in AMB's recommended part list of the M^3 that I would consider to be anywhere near boutique are the Wima, KZ and Elna caps, and AMB has recommended some lower cost caps. I advise you not to comment on something when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #26 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
??? Reportedly better by who? The only parts in AMB's recommended part list of the M^3 that I would consider to be anywhere near boutique are the Wima, KZ and Elna caps, and AMB has recommended some lower cost caps. I advise you not to comment on something when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Fortunately... for you... I "suffer fools gladly"...

Please read more widely and accurately... perhaps... then you'll understand what I said.

Illiterate!

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #27 of 116
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

M³ have as much acclaim too, but "Head-Fi Search" never understood "M³" or "M^3", it provides no result, that's why those M³ reviews by respected members are hard to find.

That's too bad... for M^3 lovers.

Perhaps... some industrious soul will assemble a compendium of links to the "universal acclaim" my searches have missed. Somehow... I doubt I've missed many. I've yet to see a "glowing review" by any respected reviewer - expecially compared to the Caliente, or Solo, or AG C-2C, or...

Or... even better... perhaps... some brave sole will ship their M^3 off to a respected reviewer to offer his perspective.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #28 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The M3 is far from a cold SS amp tbh.
Too much stereotyping on SS amps here.
It adds the perfect amount of warmth to my DT880's.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #29 of 116
Quote:

Whenever their heard about DIY amps, they quickly assume that there's no warranty, in ugly enclosure, not many people use it (because there's no FOTM effect for DIY amps at all).

smily_headphones1.gif

If people care about looks more than substance and performance in anything mechanical = silly IMO.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #30 of 116
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Changing the thread title to suit = easy tbh and it'll be picked up by the vBulletin search engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back