Any SS amp >= (M3 + S11) ?
Apr 29, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #31 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's too bad... for M^3 lovers.

Perhaps... some industrious soul will assemble a compendium of links to the "universal acclaim" my searches have missed. Somehow... I doubt I've missed many. I've yet to see a "glowing review" by any respected reviewer - expecially compared to the Caliente, or Solo, or AG C-2C, or...

Or... even better... perhaps... some brave sole will ship their M^3 off to a respected reviewer to offer his perspective.

New amps are constantly coming out but people must realize the obvious - newer does not imply "better" or even "good". I'd take a 10 year old Ferrari or Porsche over a brand new Civic any day.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #32 of 116
How about the beyerdynamic A1? It held its own against the meier-audio corda opera and they will be available from moon audio for $695-795 real soon. ( at least that is what he said in a email)

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #33 of 116
While you guys have fun on OT talk, I would like to thank many of you provide valuable hints on the good SS amps that I have never heard of, for example, FET-A.

It is very rewarding to learn nice AMPs that less hit by the search engine.

(Side note: It IS hard to search M^3 related stuff, usually you need to try M3, M^3, MMM, triple M, M cube, or even some encoding schemes with a special char. to make it work. Other than that, I have not complain about it. I just wish to have a chance to listen to it some day.)

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #34 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for an upgraded amp (from Arietta & LD MKIII) for my DT880 & HD600. Some candidates are:
* M3+S11 (hard to get)

I had an Arietta (now sold), and built myself an M3/S11. The M3/S11 is better than the Arietta in every way, even with my very easy to drive phones. The M3 has a much lower noise floor and is thus usable for IEMs at a gain of 2, and has better detail and impact across the whole frequency spectrum. But at the same time, it manages to be smoother and sweeter as well.

M3 aren't hard to get. I've seen a few MisterX and Rockhopper built ones on the FS forums recently, Rockhopper still builds them occasionally, and YBM audio does them as well.

If I were looking to buy right now, I would ask for a quote from YBM. Ask for it with switchable gain from 2 to 5 (or perhaps 8 - and definitely specify switchable, NOT with the pot), get the S11 running at 36V, and use OPA627 or AD843 OPAMPs. If you can find some extra cash, upgrade to a stepped attenuator.

That will give you an absolute monster of an amp.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #36 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is absolutely no need to run opamps at 36V, that is their absolute maximum voltage after which you can burn them.

After voltage drops across D1 and through the cap multiplier, the voltage should be only about ±16-17V. That is my experience in my amp anyway - approx 3V less than supply across V+ and V-.

Quote:

I was also not the biggest fan of those opamps. I'd take a 24V Sigma11 and use AD825s.

I can't hear any substantial difference between any of them
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #37 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had an Arietta (now sold), and built myself an M3/S11. The M3/S11 is better than the Arietta in every way, even with my very easy to drive phones. The M3 has a much lower noise floor and is thus usable for IEMs at a gain of 2, and has better detail and impact across the whole frequency spectrum. But at the same time, it manages to be smoother and sweeter as well.

Beefy: Thanks a lot for such comparison with Arietta. I really appreciate your experience on those two. Although I enjoy greatly with Audiosector NOS DAC + Arietta + DT880, I feel HD600 need some others to drive it better. To sum up what I had:

* M3+S11 (new ~$600)
* FET-A (new $649)
* Corda Opera (I found one!!! but the owner doesn't want to ship to US
frown.gif
)
* Beyerdynamic A1 (seems competitive to Opera, but no where to find one used)

Between M3 and FET-A, it seems to be hard to choose...
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #38 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beefy......

No worries. From what I have read, the FET-A is a great amp, and more than competitive with the other commercial offerings in the price range.

Philosophically though, I would still take the M3 for myself. I just see it as better value, even if I was paying somebody else to build it.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #39 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. I had a Headfive (almost identical to the Arietta) before the M^3 and those were my impressions exactly (didn't try IEM's though).

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #40 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I had a Headfive (almost identical to the Arietta) before the M^3 and those were my impressions exactly (didn't try IEM's though).

It works very well compared to other full size amps I have tried to use IEMs with*, but is still somewhat of a risky if you have a hot line level (2V P-P or more). You have to be very careful with the volume pot, and not knock it at all. The difference between comfortable listening and deafness is very small
smily_headphones1.gif

*Arietta, MiniMax x2, Regular Max, O1 DAC/Amp, Cambridge 540Av2

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #41 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's too bad... for M^3 lovers.

Perhaps... some industrious soul will assemble a compendium of links to the "universal acclaim" my searches have missed. Somehow... I doubt I've missed many. I've yet to see a "glowing review" by any respected reviewer - expecially compared to the Caliente, or Solo, or AG C-2C, or...

Or... even better... perhaps... some brave sole will ship their M^3 off to a respected reviewer to offer his perspective.

I can tell that we have different difiniation of what "respected reviewer" means.
wink.gif

and speaking about "pretty parts", there you go

GrahamSlee_2_210207.jpg

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #42 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and speaking about "pretty parts", there you go

emptyamp.jpg

See, now that is just plain lazy. Which amp is that?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back