Any SS amp >= (M3 + S11) ?
Apr 29, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #46 of 116
DT880 & HD600, both are high impedance, why Solid State. Woo, MapleTree Audio. Question for ya, what is the difference between buying a tube amp amp and not rolling and buying SS? Nothing.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #47 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 & HD600, both are high impedance, why Solid State.

Because most low-end and mid-tier tube amps suck and distort like hell.
wink.gif

Quote:

Question for ya, what is the difference between buying a tube amp amp and not rolling and buying SS? Nothing.

Uhm... about a million things, most of which I'm sure you know or can easily find.

I understand where you're aiming, but considering the M^3 allows for opamp swapping, you can roll all you want.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #48 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for an upgraded amp (from Arietta & LD MKIII) for my DT880 & HD600. Some candidates are:
* M3+S11 (hard to get)
* Kicas Caliente (some good reviews, but not for sure...)
* Audio GD C-2C (great review from Skylab, thanks!)

I would prefer SS amp (no time for tube hunting) with sonic performance better or similar to M3+S11. Bass is at less priority. Smooth mid/high, clarity, transparency, soundstage/imaging, and details are much more desired. Music genres are female vocal, classical, soundtrack, and new age. The combo of Audiosector NOS DAC + Arietta already provides great enjoyment to me.

I would appreciate your suggestion with budget < $800. (More is OK, but I am not sure if that makes sense with my current DACs)

I was just saying High Impedance + OTL = Good. I know he doesnt want to roll tubes but I think its safe to assume he wont be rolling op-amps either if he doesnt want to roll tubes. Just a suggestion to consider, I dont want to have a topology battle.
beyersmile.png

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #49 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynahi and Beta22 are better
Dynalo and PPAv2 is a side-step, some like it more, some don't

FallenAngel gave everyone the essential info in this simple post back on the first page.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #50 of 116
Totally understand, I've just been seeing a dumb trend lately of people recommending tube amps for no other reason than the fact that they're tube amps. Not to say you have ever done so, just a trend that's gotten on my nerves.

It's a great idea to consider an OTL amp for headphones that require high voltage swing but not a lot of current (aka high-impedance).

The fact that the OP wants "smooth highs" can definitely lean towards tubes as they generally roll off both highs and mellow out lows and they are generally great for female vocals and new age. The clarity, transparency and detail is where my concern lies. Most tube amps I've heard don't perform well in those at all.

This is of course in my opinion, in my experience, etc and a huge generalization. One of the fastest and crisp amps I've heard was the SOHA2 tube hybrid and likely one of the mellowest amp I've heard was the Heed CanAmp which is solid-state (wasn't a fan). Definitely a good idea to keep options open, but stereotypes form when a large portion of the group follows it and usually I feel tube amps do badly in the clarity, transparency and detail department.

EDIT: Thanks Tom
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #51 of 116
HD650s are going to be really good with either a tube amp or a powerful solid state. My M3 + S11 has a pretty no compromises sound with huge reserves of power, that said if you can afford a Beta or a Dynahi then those would probably curb stomp my M3. I think my M3 is a little better sounding than my Darkvoice 336 was, but the Darkvoice at $300 is a pretty damn good value.

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #55 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! I was actually thinking of it for my girlfriend but then said F* it and am building a Gamma1 + PPAS

I cant buy a compass on principal, if mbd2884 has one then I cannot own one[size=xx-large].[/size]

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #57 of 116
Quote:

I cant buy a compass on principal, if mbd2884 has one then I cannot own one[size=xx-large].[/size]

But he got a HD650 too.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #58 of 116
So, guys. Which of the FET-A or M3+S11 will provide more warmth and smoothness? I'm trying to find an SS amp to mate with my modded Denon D2000 which could use a healthy dose of warmth in the midrange region. I'm initially thinking along the line of the KICAS Caliente but I'll most probably push up my budget a bit so I can really feel the difference.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #59 of 116
Quote:

DT880 & HD600, both are high impedance, why Solid State. Woo, MapleTree Audio. Question for ya, what is the difference between buying a tube amp amp and not rolling and buying SS? Nothing.

Yes, it is probably the reason that more tube amps seem to be preferred/discussed at Head-Fi.

The reason why I try to be away from tube amps are due to:
* The SQ/characteristics (SC) of tubes devices (DAC/AMP) can be strongly influenced by tubes, which makes me wonder if I am just hearing the sound of that specific "tube" or what. Maybe a bad analogy in OS DAC, people are wondering if there are hearing the SC of filter or music itself if the filter play significant role in the equation.

This may not be the case for high-end tube amp since I only had LD MKIII.

* Tube hunting is time consuming and good tubes are quickly disappering from I have learnd in Head-Fi discussion. Fear of out of tube will make owners start their tube inventory. But for not dedicated tube lovers, these tubes become baggage in re-selling.

* Last thing is just my personal fear with many kids in house at this moment. I can imagine one day I'll see my close to $100 tube floaing in the toilet.
eek.gif
I'm less off with opamp rolling since at leaset they need to learn how to use screw driver to get them.
icon10.gif

But definitely I'll revisit tube amp when I can relax on my chair every evening after work.
L3000.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #60 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, guys. Which of the FET-A or M3+S11 will provide more warmth and smoothness? I'm trying to find an SS amp to mate with my modded Denon D2000 which could use a healthy dose of warmth in the midrange region. I'm initially thinking along the line of the KICAS Caliente but I'll most probably push up my budget a bit so I can really feel the difference.

I am in the same boat with you as well. I started with KICAS and now don't know.

Have someone did the comparison of FET-A or M3+S11? This must be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back