Any SS amp >= (M3 + S11) ?
Jun 21, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #106 of 116
Wow.
I bought an HP100 specifically as an upgrade to my M^3. Since this thread is discussing SS amps in comparison to the M^3, I have been posting comparisons based on experiences I've had using both, plain and simple. If I was making assumptions without having heard both, then obviously there would be some discrepancies
Instead of making accusations about the validity of my comparisons and accusing me of being disingenuous, perhaps you could be more specific about which comments you disagree with
And by the way, the only reason I have another HP100 in the FS forum is because a fellow hifier who asked me to purchase an extra one while I was overseas in Japan dropped out at the last minute

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #107 of 116
with ad8610 limiting supply V and C-multiplier and the Vgs drop of the MOSFETs, the M^3 could be a little short of V swing for Hi Z cans with the 24 Vdc supply

from the HP100 manual it looks like it manages 9.5 Vrms out, not a huge improvement but it could be responsible for some differences vs M^3

Meier HeadFive and Swing would be examples of other buffered op amp circuits that likely have similar slight extenstion of Vswing which would be better for Hi-Z cans vs the M^3

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #108 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meier HeadFive and Swing would be examples of other buffered op amp circuits that likely have similar slight extenstion of Vswing which would be better for Hi-Z cans vs the M^3

No, I strongly doubt that. Before I built my MMM I had an Arietta (now sold), and the MMM was superior in every aspect. The MMM was more detailed and clear throughout the entire frequency range, but managed to be smoother at the same time. The Arietta was a good amp for the price though.

If you want more voltage swing from the MMM you can easily run the S11 at 36V and pop in some OPA6*7, AD825, AD843, or plenty of other options.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #110 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I strongly doubt that. Before I built my MMM I had an Arietta (now sold), and the MMM was superior in every aspect. The MMM was more detailed and clear throughout the entire frequency range, but managed to be smoother at the same time. The Arietta was a good amp for the price though.

If you want more voltage swing from the MMM you can easily run the S11 at 36V and pop in some OPA6*7, AD825, AD843, or plenty of other options.

My thoughts exactly. I sold my Headfive because of the M^3. They weren't comparable in any regard. I used the PRO750, HD650, HD600, DT990, RP-21, KSC-75, PX-100 on both to get an idea of performance with low/high impedance cans.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #111 of 116
HeadFive is OPA+BUF634, M3 is considerably nicer.
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #112 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off 24V, voltage swing on the M3 is enough for basically all headphones, off 30V, it's MUCH more than enough, by the time you get to 36V, there's not gain really.

K340?
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #114 of 116
I've never heard a AKG340
I have listened to K1000 on a 24 volt s11+M^3 for several hours. It actually is very listenable and clipping was never an issue. The s11 and mosfet final stage don't show any audible signs of sagging while swinging large percentage of the rail voltage.

I can't imagine clipping a M^3 listening to any main stream can. Ouch. We need an exploding head smiley for posting opinions on that.

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #115 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard a AKG340
I have listened to K1000 on a 24 volt s11+M^3 for several hours. It actually is very listenable and clipping was never an issue...

quite possible if you listened to "Loudness War" poster child tracks with 10 dB peak-to-ave levels and less than live ave level but that combo would be expected to clip at 100 dB SPL

but for the "audiophile" case of near live levels and dynamic music with +20 dB peaks that is as absurd as claiming the iPod is the last word for direct driving the K701

The M3 can be a fine amp, I would definitely want more than the standard 24V supply for Hi-Z cans

With higher Vsupply and op amp rolling it should be hard to audibly distinguish from most decent SS amps

The M3 isn't however the final word in low noise or distortion SS amps

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #116 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With higher Vsupply and op amp rolling it should be hard to audibly distinguish from most decent SS amps

I sense latent hostility. Did an MMM eat your baby?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back