any reason for me to get a zune 80 over an ipod classic 80?
Dec 13, 2007 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
I live in canada meaning I do not have ready access to a zune, I have to get it from america, meaing a lot of hassle

so is there any reason to get a zune over an ipod classic?

and keep in mind i need a GOOD reason to convince my parents to cross the border

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 78
1. bigger screen.

2. different interface and controls (I would consider it much better). To me the best controls ever. I like tactile feedback, real buttons, not fingerprinting up a screen, etc. It has that...but it also has touch integrated for fast navigation. win win!

3. wifi. you can sync wirelessly...if you use a dock you can more or less function as a portable DVR (up to DVD rez, component out) which will update itself automatically and wirelessly from content on a central computer. This is also a nice feature for those who want to leave it in a car.

those are the biggest reasons for me. SQ is extremely good (still has a tiny bit of HDD spinup you can hear with IEMs and a quiet room) , but I haven't heard a 6G ipod to compare.

Basically for a combined DAP and video player it is an awesome solution IMO. A screen big enough to be useful with enough storage to be useful, in a small enough size to be really portable and slip in a pocket.

Personally I would have wanted an 80GB iPod Touch instead, fingerprints be damned. But there is nothing near that capacity, and even at 1/5th the storage the 16GB costs 60% more....

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 78
oh wait, if anyone is interested, expansys canada has zunes, for 269.99 here:

https://www.expansys.ca/checkout.asp...vatreg=N&pm=CC

so now I can get them in canada

the real question is, is it worth the extra 20 bucks for the zune, and the lack of accessories and support?

also, how is the lack of EQ?

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the real question is, is it worth the extra 20 bucks for the zune, and the lack of accessories and support?

also, how is the lack of EQ?

Thats the same question I've been having actually. I already have some accessories for the iPod, I wont use the wireless sync and I wont watch many videos on it.

As for the lack of EQ people have been saying its not a problem at all.

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 78
oh and is there a video out? or can I buy a cable to do it?

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 78
Quote:

I echo ptaaty. The GUI is very easy and intuitive, love it.
SQ is excellent, I say better then my X5.
As for accessories, the aftermarket will catch up quickly!! I have already gotten 12 car chargers, synch cables, and home chargers off of Amazon for CHEAP. There is a line out right now using the dock, which means there the plug is wired for a line out, so I am sure it will not be long before you see a line out cable on ebay or amazon.
I am VERY happy with my Zune and would reccomend it to everyone....$20 is well worth it!! Oh and I don't miss the EQ at all!!

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyoel182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem seems to be that it lacks a "true" line out like the iPod at the moment.

Even without a line out cable, the sound quality is staggering. The on-board amp is extremely clean. I use the dock out to my LDII++ and listen with my HD-650s. I absolutely love it. I keep seeing my wife eyeballing it, so I may have to breakdown and get her one before she takes mine!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alleyman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also a big feature is the inbuilt FM tuner. Well, to me atleast.

Yep, you are right. There are times where I would rather have somebody else pick the music.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

Headphones and dock connector:
Zune.net | Which Zune Is for You?

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even without a line out cable, the sound quality is staggering. The on-board amp is extremely clean. I use the dock out to my LDII++ and listen with my HD-650s. I absolutely love it. I keep seeing my wife eyeballing it, so I may have to breakdown and get her one before she takes mine!!
biggrin.gif

I am using the headphone jack, until I get a dock. I have it running to some mini monitors on my desk at work. SQ is great!! Also run it in the car off the headphone jack....

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 78
i dont mean to rain on the pro zune rally here, but I think my best bet is to grab a ipod 80 since if i saw "i want a ipod 80" at 5:00PM, I can come home and start to sync it by 5:20, whereas the zune is more expensive and will take a while to get here, and if I dont like the ipod, its another 20 odd minutes to return it, but with the zune itll take longer

anyone see any problems with this? or anything that will make me dislike the ipod?

thanks

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 78
Quote:

i dont mean to rain on the pro zune rally here, but I think my best bet is to grab a ipod 80 since if i saw "i want a ipod 80" at 5:00PM, I can come home and start to sync it by 5:20, whereas the zune is more expensive and will take a while to get here, and if I dont like the ipod, its another 20 odd minutes to return it, but with the zune itll take longer

anyone see any problems with this? or anything that will make me dislike the ipod?

thanks

In my opinion, the Zune 80 would be well worth the extra time spent waiting, and the extra money spent.

Take a look at Best Buy, Wallmart, different places etc., the Zune 80 should be widely available by now.

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the headphone jack, until I get a dock. I have it running to some mini monitors on my desk at work. SQ is great!! Also run it in the car off the headphone jack....

The dock output is supposed to be exactly the same so hopefully you arent getting the dock as a line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back