Any other new members to headphones feeling a bit overwhelmed?
Feb 11, 2011 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

judy1992

100+ Head-Fier
I been researching & reading threads & doing searches. But you have 5-2,000ohms. Dynamic. Electric. Planar being ortho & electrostat. Drivers. Housings. Cups. Materials. Companies. Lingo. IEM. The float thingy. Cabling.Varying love/hate opinions (especially the Ultrasones, 701, & the DT48) & that is just hitting the surface. Will it ever get easier. Boomanas guide is helpful, but the thread is very long. This is like home work.. I'm not even sure if my amp/dac is worth the price I paid for it. My BF did help a bit..)

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 22

I'm taking baby steps.. I don't want to be a headphone guru, just not sound like a total dolt when I'm discussing headphones & the like with the pro's. I'm getting better though.
Quote:
I thought the hunt for the headphones I (think) want was the easy part. I find trying to narrow down what DAC and amp to get to be the overwhelming part!

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 22
Hehehehe, honestly I think audiophiles would be a lot nicer (and more reasonable) than, sya, the general public, who will probably call you stupid for not liking Beats, Bose, or Skullcandy.

Quote:
I'm taking baby steps.. I don't want to be a headphone guru, just not sound like a total dolt when I'm discussing headphones & the like with the pro's. I'm getting better though.
Quote:
I thought the hunt for the headphones I (think) want was the easy part. I find trying to narrow down what DAC and amp to get to be the overwhelming part!

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 22
That's kind of you.. I forgot to add that I don't have a car & use BART, etc, unless my BF or one of my girl friends is free.

Quote:
It's pretty close, imo, but there haven't been any big meets in the east bay in a long while. If you need a ride, I could theoretically hook you up if I decide to go...

Quote:
Any near Berkley?

Quote:
Bay Area meet.
Go there.
Listen to stuff.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 22
Yeah, my dynamic headphone experience is limited to cheap Philips or sony's & the buds that come with your Ipod. My only audiophile headphone is my Ortho..

Quote:
Hehehehe, honestly I think audiophiles would be a lot nicer (and more reasonable) than, sya, the general public, who will probably call you stupid for not liking Beats, Bose, or Skullcandy.

Quote:
Quote:

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 22
to tell you the truth, i don't really care much for ortho, electro, and all the whatnot.

My simple rule is, If it sounds good, Money well spent.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 22
Your homework for today:

Headphone buying guide for newbies - http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana
Describing sound - http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/describing-sound-a-glossary
Frequency response of headphone - http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/frequency-response-of-headphones

Then again headphone is just a tool for music listening. Spend more time worrying about your musical taste than which headphone is the best. Simply put, the best headphone is the one you own and the one that you use on a regular basis.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 22
It gets easier with time (as you learn), and as you try things (you'll sort out brands and types you just don't personally enjoy which sorts a lot of the noise that you know doesn't interest you).  What will really screw you up is conflicting opinions on any one headphone, depending what headphones the posters have heard before and their personal tastes [in sound signature].  There use to be a glossary of terms sticky around here somewhere, but I don't know where it got to.

Anything you (or any overwhelmed member) really wants to know that might reduce the feeling of being overwhelmed by all this stuff?  Head-fi is full of members that can help you and others out.  If one member doesn't know I'm sure there is 5+ that do. [I'm sure you can turn this into a Q&A thread, just ask something you wanted to know].

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 22
Overwhelmed? Not really. I am first waiting to really start appreciating my new headphones (stupid birthday can't get here fast enough) and then I'll worry about knowing the technical details if I'm interested. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 22
Nah, it's the same as the general hifi-stuff: it gets addicting. You want more, better sound, why not try this, why not get that, you definitively need an amp... 
On my first visit to head-fi I discovered whole manufacturers I had never heard of - being european, I heard the name Grado for the first time on this site. 

Now I just shot a 20-year-old headphone from ebay 'cause it might sound a little better than what I own. Welcome to head-fi, sorry for your wallet.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back