Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Mar 31, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #751 of 876
My appj spoilt and i was about to get my second set of appj amp
Nice amp

You say spoilt, did you manage to get the circuit tested, that's all that's needed to find the faulty connection. Once that's done it can be repaired easily. Get the circuit continuity tested by someone, if you can't find anyone there must be someone, perhaps in the local college electronics dept. or a local audio club that could help you out. Good luck anyway!

This little top level amp could yet be improved!I'm thinking about replacing the Kaisei cathode caps with Nichicon Muse KZ's. I've already replaced my cathode caps in my LD amp, and they have made a considerable change to frequency extension from bass to treble for the better. So this would most likely improve an already top amp to top level, without a doubt! The Nichicons aren't expensive.

I love the sound signature of the amp so would not change but anyone considering changing theirs, I doubt you would better it, you would just change the sound somewhat, maybe to your liking, maybe not.

Mar 31, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #752 of 876
You say spoilt, did you manage to get the circuit tested, that's all that's needed to find the faulty connection. Once that's done it can be repaired easily. Get the circuit continuity tested by someone, if you can't find anyone there must be someone, perhaps in the local college electronics dept. or a local audio club that could help you out. Good luck anyway!

This little top level amp could yet be improved!I'm thinking about replacing the Kaisei cathode caps with Nichicon Muse KZ's. I've already replaced my cathode caps in my LD amp, and they have made a considerable change to frequency extension from bass to treble for the better. So this would most likely improve an already top amp to top level, without a doubt! The Nichicons aren't expensive.

I love the sound signature of the amp so would not change but anyone considering changing theirs, I doubt you would better it, you would just change the sound somewhat, maybe to your liking, maybe not.

This amplifier is the one i enjoyed most
The 12ax7 just sound so complete in many ways as compared to other tubes

I am in a dilemma now as the cost to repair vs getting a new set from aliexpress is very very close

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #753 of 876
Free APPJ modding stuff

Did some modding a few years ago but my soldering skills were pretty raw, and ended up ruining the PA1502A. Now moved on to solid state only and no more modding.

If anyone here would like the APPJ for parts, plus some tubes and misc components, just PM me, and I'll send then along for the price of shipping.

Here's the extra stuff:
3X of the Russian tubes (1 matched pair)
Pair of J&J 6L6GC
Tung Sol 3751
Mullard 12AX/ECC83
4X of Obligato premium caps
Pair of Kasei 25v1000 (one of leads broken)

Parts have been sent to a good home.

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #754 of 876
This amplifier is the one i enjoyed most
The 12ax7 just sound so complete in many ways as compared to other tubes

I am in a dilemma now as the cost to repair vs getting a new set from aliexpress is very very close

Yes, it is a great sounding amp, you have the tube realism, just put on some great female vocals like Bebel Gilberto for example to see what I mean, and yet it is a fast sounding amp with good resolution, whereas some are too thick sounding.

At least they don't cost a lot new, hope you make the right decision lol!

Mar 31, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #755 of 876
Yes, it is a great sounding amp, you have the tube realism, just put on some great female vocals like Bebel Gilberto for example to see what I mean, and yet it is a fast sounding amp with good resolution, whereas some are too thick sounding.

At least they don't cost a lot new, hope you make the right decision lol!

They sound very good with this square getter baby
20190331_200031.jpg

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #756 of 876
They sound very good with this square getter baby

Looks like a GE, I like them, they have a good clean sound, similar to my Mazda, I use them on my other amp.

I still use the Philips and Mazda on this amp though. The 14AF7 is also used occasionally but is a bit too forward in the treble to use all the time for me.

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #757 of 876
Looks like a GE, I like them, they have a good clean sound, similar to my Mazda, I use them on my other amp.

I still use the Philips and Mazda on this amp though. The 14AF7 is also used occasionally but is a bit too forward in the treble to use all the time for me.

I have ordered a new appj amp
I currently have 3 tube amps and 2 hybrid
But i find myself keep using APPJ and Musical Paradise MP301
Occasional use is the DV3322 and the rest is collecting dust

Apr 1, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #758 of 876
I have ordered a new appj amp
I currently have 3 tube amps and 2 hybrid
But i find myself keep using APPJ and Musical Paradise MP301
Occasional use is the DV3322 and the rest is collecting dust

NICE!!

:).

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #759 of 876
Anyone looking to do cap mods may want to grab some Miflex caps while their prices are still low. Cheapest Copper and Aluminum in Paper/Oil caps you can get right now and feedback so far is they are better than Jupiters. Even Tony Gee at Humblehomemadehifi has given them stellar ratings on his Cap Test page (and if you've never been to his Cap Test page you better start now...)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #761 of 876
Anyone looking to do cap mods may want to grab some Miflex caps while their prices are still low. Cheapest Copper and Aluminum in Paper/Oil caps you can get right now and feedback so far is they are better than Jupiters. Even Tony Gee at Humblehomemadehifi has given them stellar ratings on his Cap Test page (and if you've never been to his Cap Test page you better start now...)

Hey, good info there wushuliu! Looks like they could compete with the Audyn's at least, I haven't seen anything on whether they are actually better than Jupiters. I put down the stellar performance of my amp to fitting these caps.

Thanks. Purchased the speaker version of this appj amp from tube Depot recently. They need a cap upgrade. Will take a look.

I am obviously interested in this, could you give a link to which version of the speaker amp this is as they have been upgraded since mine, (which is getting old)!

I urge you to fit quality caps properly, even if it means taking it to a professional. The amp will benefit enormously from such a simple upgrade.

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #763 of 876
Hey, good info there wushuliu! Looks like they could compete with the Audyn's at least, I haven't seen anything on whether they are actually better than Jupiters. I put down the stellar performance of my amp to fitting these caps.

I've seen two user reports recently at Audio Circle with members replacing their Jupiters with the Miflex, citing slightly more detail and resolution. Tony Gee has them ranked higher than Audyn Copper (12.5) and just about equal to Jupiter (13+ vs 13.5). I wouldn't recommend the Miflex necessarily to someone who already has Jupiters, but to anyone who is looking to up their cap game the Miflex can be had for 1/3 the cost of the Jupiter Copper...

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #764 of 876
I've seen two user reports recently at Audio Circle with members replacing their Jupiters with the Miflex, citing slightly more detail and resolution. Tony Gee has them ranked higher than Audyn Copper (12.5) and just about equal to Jupiter (13+ vs 13.5). I wouldn't recommend the Miflex necessarily to someone who already has Jupiters, but to anyone who is looking to up their cap game the Miflex can be had for 1/3 the cost of the Jupiter Copper...

Interesting! Looks like they would do instead of Jupiters for some people wanting something a bit less pricey.

@baronbeehive Here is the link,

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/tubecube-7-stereo-vacuum-tube-amplifier

Edit: This is the older version and must be the same as the one you have. Not the upgraded one.

Ah right, I'm very pleased to see my version is still being made, albeit rebadged now. I'm a bit less worried in case anything should go wrong with mine.

Good review too! His point about the slight roll off at the top, I don't find now with the upgrades, treble response is very satisfying, and the upgraded coupling caps has meant that the bass response is also fuller with the different rated capacitance. So the upgrades has meant better frequency response all round.

His other point about the low power output has also been addressed. So long as transient recovery is as efficient as possible the power ratings are fine. We've put in higher rated capacitance here as well for the cathode caps and this helps here.

People are beginning to wake up to the advantages of lower output amps. High power means having to control frequency response to stop it going haywire. This is done using negative feedback, too much negative feedback gives the characteristic cold analytical SS sound with the closed in soundstage. This is why tube amps are so good at soundstage. Also high power leads to unwanted EMF effects and so other stages are used in the amp to control this. So low power does away with these disadvantages. If transient recovery is super efficient then low power amps can play surprisingly loud.

Edit: I have a couple of Kaisei 1000uF cathode caps if anyone wants, I cut the legs short but wires can easily be soldered on.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #765 of 876
The APPJ PA1501A can also be ordered Prime on Amazon for $179 [EDIT: Just realized this is not the same as the amps being discussed, it's newer]. The 1502A headphone version however is getting harder to find. They are much more expensive on Ebay. I just ordered one on Amazon for $199 shipped which is the cheapest I could find. I also have a Project Sunrise kit on the way. We'll see how they compare.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back