Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Jan 19, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #736 of 876
Yeah! I have the speaker version, the APPJ PA0901A, or Miniwatt, which I always mention to avoid confusion because the Miniwatt threads died out a while ago whereas this thread is still going strong, despite having to be given the kiss of life a while back... and it was touch and go! APPJ's continue to be made and you have the latest upgrade with the gain switch so this is the place to come for information about it. I enjoy reading about members experiences, which are mostly positive.

…...no neither are your brain and eyeballs!

Yes, no beating headphones for accurate reproduction compared even with the most expensive speakers, no room acoustics to consider at all, just the shape of your ears!

Some headphones are capable of real bass heft, even sub bass, and bass drum reverberation but mostly its a question of accurate definition.

Don't we all!

Keep us posted on your observations, I am interested in those Gold Lions.

With NOS you should get better all round SQ frankly, soundstage etc. should all go up a level there are plenty of recommendations going back a few pages or so, or you can ask of course.

The Genalex tubes are in, and they sound great so far - although I’m hearing them develop as they burn in. Spinning OK Computer right now and it’s another great test album, with songs that are all over the map sonically. It seems like the 12AX7 is doing a better job processing multi-channel and cross fades better than the stock tube, and while everything started off a little harsher at first the tubes are definitely mellowing and sounding nice. There was almost a little bit of a vibrato effect on some of the guitar riffs at first, but that’s gone away at this point.

DC771DD3-124D-4323-89DA-4ABCABC3A782.jpeg DE52F652-D17C-495F-A901-73697CB9A380.jpeg 09A56648-D632-4591-A5A6-110FB8739F84.jpeg

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #737 of 876
The Genalex tubes are in, and they sound great so far - although I’m hearing them develop as they burn in. Spinning OK Computer right now and it’s another great test album, with songs that are all over the map sonically. It seems like the 12AX7 is doing a better job processing multi-channel and cross fades better than the stock tube, and while everything started off a little harsher at first the tubes are definitely mellowing and sounding nice. There was almost a little bit of a vibrato effect on some of the guitar riffs at first, but that’s gone away at this point.

Re: the Gold Lions, check out the following quote from member maxx134:

"I am using the Gold Lion 6L6 which is the hottest running tube I ever placed on the amp and so far it working fine, but I don't use it more than 2 hrs at a time and the only concern I have is the heat so if you have a nicely cool or vented room it should be ok, but the tube heater current on the standard (not the safer heater current tungsol remake) 6L6 is a bit too high.

I dont care and take my chances because they are my favorites in terms of retaining resolve with having the largest soundstage and also having a good sound.

Edit**
The amp does not get hotter than most tube amps so it still ok.
On other tubes it runs cool.

I still consider the 6bg6g tubes as the most transparent , but second in soundstage."

If you followed this advice it would save you a bunch of dosh and a lot of time spent searching.... sleepless nights wondering if you've missed something... and worrying that someone else has got a better setup than you...

You could do even better and have an end game tube setup if you paired the power tubes above with a 14AF7 Tungsol or similar. Several members have found these to be the most resolved of all driver tubes.... and you will like this.... they're dirt cheap, costing a few dollars!

You will need adapters though if you choose to go down this route.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #738 of 876
Ok so the Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 / B759 is too much gain for the little guy. I gave it a solid go and really let it burn in, but it’s still harsh and giving me nastiness when lyrics contain the letter S or F or if everybody’s playing at the same time. I just ordered a Genalex 12AX7 in the non-gold pin configuration which might sound like I’m a crazy person, but this website gives me reason to think I’ll get a more mellow tone out of it: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-corner/12ax7-comparison-current-made-tubes
We’ll see. I went back to the stock 6N4 paired with the reissued Genalex 6V6-GTs and using those power tubes is a step up in sound quality; particularly in the low end. Listened to 1984 twice in a row (which ps never do that to your poor records that’s just mean, but I think David Lee Roth craves attention so much that it’s ok this one time) with the two different configurations and Hot For Teacher and I’ll Wait both went from very harsh to not nearly as harsh but still not perfect. Going to keep trying configurations and hope I can find some kind of reference out there with actual electric data like the one above for old tubes.

Edit: also added a Tung Sol 5751 and JJ Electronics 5751 to the order. Thinking that gives me a spectrum of gains to try out, from the gold pin Genalex 12AX7 > standard pin Genalex 12AX7 > JJ 5751 > Tung Sol 5751. Will share results!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #739 of 876
Ok the Genalex standard pin 12AX7 just showed up and I’m spinning Brothers in Arms with it plus the reissue Genalex Gold Lion 6V6s and there’s a dramatic difference. Only one song in so it’s probably not warmed up yet and there’s no way it’s burnt in but the highs aren’t at all harsh, the vocals don’t have shrill letters S or F and the soundstage is very clear. Excited to get the 5751s in to see what they do but for now this is an outstanding setup.

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #740 of 876
Guys the Tung Sol 5751 with the Genalex 6V6s is making Dark Side sound like sonic butter I’m kinda blown away right now. I know every craps on the reissue stock but without needing adapters and without having to pay a fortune and wait for a guy in Prague to snail mail you 60 year old tubes you pray aren’t smashed on the sailboat they take to get here - you can get some pretty stellar sound out of this amp. The clarity is so good I’m hearing things I haven’t heard in probably an unexaggerated 100 listens to this album (they used to haze us to it when I was a pledge). Particularly the talking parts that are mixed in throughout the album. Zero harshness, with tight, forward bass, mid range clarity and crystal clear highs. I’m a big fan rn.

Edit: Also listed to Electric Ladyland and I have to say I’m blown away by this setup. Just the stock amp, no modifications with the TS 5751 and I’m hearing things I’ve never heard in albums I’ve listened to so much the covers are falling apart. At the end of Moon Turn the Tides... Gently, Gently Away there’s a low frequency note that I always assumed was meant to be distant; turns out it’s not. Crazy good clarity and low-end.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #741 of 876
Edit: Also listed to Electric Ladyland and I have to say I’m blown away by this setup. Just the stock amp, no modifications with the TS 5751 and I’m hearing things I’ve never heard in albums I’ve listened to so much the covers are falling apart. At the end of Moon Turn the Tides... Gently, Gently Away there’s a low frequency note that I always assumed was meant to be distant; turns out it’s not. Crazy good clarity and low-end.

Hey, great, sounds like you're having a ball!

I thought you'd like the Tungsol, used to be my favourite for many years, I still love it, but I've just moved slightly now to preferring a slightly sharper sound but without the harshness. The Tungsol manages to pull off great detail, soundstage, good bass... and treble, but zero harshness, only beautiful liquid flow.

Great observations, your amp obviously hits the spot!

Jan 26, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #742 of 876
Hey, great, sounds like you're having a ball!

I thought you'd like the Tungsol, used to be my favourite for many years, I still love it, but I've just moved slightly now to preferring a slightly sharper sound but without the harshness. The Tungsol manages to pull off great detail, soundstage, good bass... and treble, but zero harshness, only beautiful liquid flow.

Great observations, your amp obviously hits the spot!

Hey can I put 6L6 tubes in this amp without damaging it or the tubes and without having to do any mods?

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #743 of 876
Hey can I put 6L6 tubes in this amp without damaging it or the tubes and without having to do any mods?

He is talking about NOS tube not the remake from what I can see.

I wouldn't like to advise you on this, I wouldn't have a problem, and Maxx134 says it's OK, you could wait for him to advise. If he is having no problems then you shouldn't either. The tube will be OK but if there is a wire run nearby it could be a concern so caution is advised.

Edit: I would give the RCA 6bg6g's a try first, they have no issues with the heater current and they are next best thing, to see what the APPJ can do.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #744 of 876
Welp, I’m blown away. I bought a matched pair of RCA 6V6GT aka VT-107As from 1953 and an RCA 12AX7 from the early 60s and it’s knocking my socks off spinning Life’s Rich Pageant right now. The whole range is well represented, from low to high and crystal clear without being harsh or loose. I’m super into this set up. The power tubes are the smoked glass military issues and they also look rad, on top of the incredible sound. Would recommend.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #745 of 876
Hi everyone..I'm glad to see this amp getting some love..I still have mine that I reviewed wayyy back,still with the Vintage Mullard tubes as in the review..It's been sitting in the box almost 2 years now as I moved to the iFi Stereo 50 & then the Quad VA-One so it only has a few hundred hours use...This week I bought new Harbeth M30.1 speakers so I'll be removing the 15wpc.VA-One & replacing with the Quad Vena II all Solid State with 3 times the power...Since I ADORE tubes I'm going to use the Pre Out to drive this amp..Still have the HE400i cans but upgrading to Ananda in just a few weeks...It really is a great little amp for Planar cans & I'm glad now it never sold...

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #746 of 876
Free APPJ modding stuff

Did some modding a few years ago but my soldering skills were pretty raw, and ended up ruining the PA1502A. Now moved on to solid state only and no more modding.

If anyone here would like the APPJ for parts, plus some tubes and misc components, just PM me, and I'll send then along for the price of shipping.

Here's the extra stuff:
3X of the Russian tubes (1 matched pair)
Pair of J&J 6L6GC
Tung Sol 3751
Mullard 12AX/ECC83
4X of Obligato premium caps
Pair of Kasei 25v1000 (one of leads broken)

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #747 of 876
Shipping only to US or Canada (too complicated otherwise)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back