Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
Feb 28, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #706 of 828
Totally, mon! Tube rolling and fragrance rolling. Same part of that OCD detecting and measuring brain. :D
Makes total sense when you put it like that. Just like people who can’t appreciate the difference between dacs and amps, the different scents just don’t register with me. They all smell kind of okay to me 😂

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #707 of 828
Makes total sense when you put it like that. Just like people who can’t appreciate the difference between dacs and amps, the different scents just don’t register with me. They all smell kind of okay to me 😂
Oddly I find most cologne and perfume to be off-putting and unpleasant... I think people aren't subtle enough with it, doesn't really matter how expensive it is. It's too bright and needs to be more neutral because you can't EQ it after the fact :D

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #708 of 828
God forbid we all start using audio terms for scents: layering, individual notes, notes placements, scent stage, notes transparency, notes decay, bright, muted, neutral :beerchug:

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #709 of 828
Well... come to think of it... Baccarat Rouge 540 has a sort of fresh souffle smell to it. But would rather steer you toward Tuscan Leather. If Tony Montana had a cologne, this would be it. Leather, raspberries, cocaine (yes, seriously), and cigarettes. It's actually quite good. You'll either be the life of the party or thrown out on your ear.

Most of my decants and bottles aren't stocked in department or fragrance stores, except perhaps Tom Ford and a few others. Shame... it's a lot of fun once you get beyond the usual shower gel/cologney scents everyone uses.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #710 of 828
Well... come to think of it... Baccarat Rouge 540 has a sort of fresh souffle smell to it. But would rather steer you toward Tuscan Leather. If Tony Montana had a cologne, this would be it. Leather, raspberries, cocaine (yes, seriously), and cigarettes. It's actually quite good. You'll either be the life of the party or thrown out on your ear.

Most of my decants and bottles aren't stocked in department or fragrance stores, except perhaps Tom Ford and a few others. Shame... it's a lot of fun once you get beyond the usual shower gel/cologney scents everyone uses.
Man.....I’m so behind! I mean I’m actually fighting the bad smells? Not looking for any good-new ones except “air” smell, and maybe food smell! The masking never works, for me anyway.

My wife is like a smell detective. I swear she can smell something even after it’s been thrown out days earlier? Ahh, the smell of balsamic vinegar, the smell of bacon....imported butter! Fresh bread! The smell of an actual orange!

After selling a big sale the Wife (of the buyers) quietly came up and asked “What are you wearing” “That smell, it’s so fresh and pure” I told her my Wife’s deodorant. I’ve used my Wife’s deodorant for over 22 years.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #711 of 828
Going back to the original posters question... I'm a noob, only been here (on and off) for 17 years..

Sorry to interrupt, do carry on. 🙂

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #712 of 828
My wife is like a smell detective. I swear she can smell something even after it’s been thrown out days earlier? Ahh, the smell of balsamic vinegar, the smell of bacon....imported butter! Fresh bread! The smell of an actual orange!
Haha can she smell when you try and sneak a new piece of gear into the house? :)

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #713 of 828
Haha can she smell when you try and sneak a new piece of gear into the house? :)

Did you just crack a joke about his wife?
chris rock wife joke.png

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #714 of 828
In the thread browsing, seeing how old farts interact with each other.

*wonders if I will be similar as an old fart down the line*

Apr 7, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #715 of 828
Hi Y’all! I’ve been hanging out in Head-Fi for the last couple of weeks. It’s been at 3 years since I’ve been around.

Unfortunately, I misplaced/dropped/lost my old X20 dap on the trip back from Alaska, and that’s opened the door to sneaking newer gear in the house. The Mrs knows I got a new dap (not that it’s a DX160 from a Head-Fier, though). I’ve also got some FH7s and a great cable from the Classifieds, too. She’s visiting out of state while I’m visiting Head-Fi and the golf course. Shhhh…

The old “sorry about your wallet” still applies around here, obviously, but I’ve not seen the quote anywhere… yet. Some things don’t change. Like snarly, snarky comments. Some of these folks still need to get a life. But being here still convinces me that it’s only about the Music.

Always about the music…

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #716 of 828
While I’m passing through Head-Fi this time, I gotta share my feelings about the Head-Fi Classifieds. “Sorry About Your Wallet!”

This excursion has garnered me the best quality DAP and IEMS I’ve heard, much less owned. The FH7 I bought didn’t have 1 day’s listening to it and the DX160 is mint. Even listening with a $14 balanced cable is sonic candy. I’ve got a few more cables in route…

I want to encourage you old farts to enjoy the music. New gear might fire you up, like it’s done for me. I don’t remember The Allman Brothers’ records and tapes sounding THIS good, as good as they were. It can’t be my old ears, so it’s gotta be the new gear from Head-Fi’s Classifieds. Head-Fiers treat their gear with respect, even if it’s drawer sitting for months. Find something new(er). You can thank me later…

Apr 29, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #717 of 828
I'm doing the opposite at the moment, trying to resurrect some ATRAC+MP3 players. To facilitate FLAC/ALAC + MP3 integration back when these were new, I built a dual-Opteron server to try to transcode FLAC/ALAC to MP3 either in batches, or an album at the speed of USB transfer... and it never delivered.

17 years later I'm transcoding on another (general purpose) AMD setup and it can do ~1000x real-time.

I feel very old.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back