Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
Feb 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #331 of 828
anyone remember my old megathread?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/84184/before-and-after-pics-curse-you-head-fi

very sad that a lot of the oldest pics are broken.  once i switched over to guitars as the main hobby, the pics started working - i transitioned to photobucket as i recall, instead of hosting pics on the old head-fi site.

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #332 of 828
  The first mod I ever did was your "Kramer mod" for the Shure E2c.

LOL... man you still remember that?  That was a long time ago.

The great thing is you still fit in that shirt quite comfortably.  I've outgrown the shirt from 9 years ago sadly. 
blink.gif

Yep, my hair is gone but the shirt still fits.

Wonder where he is now.  Sadly I still own the same tubes that Mikahail is holding in the picture.  What a loss to the community really.  He can voice amps like no one else despite questionable build quality.

Yeah he really screwed over a lot of people.  His amps always sounded really good.  Lesson learned though.  Its one thing to make a good sounding tube amp... its a whole nother' thing to make it reliable, operator safe, serviceable and reliable.

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #333 of 828
  That is the reason I swear never to get the AK240 at $2499.  Portable audio gears are no longer good deals....this also hold true for headphones & amps in general.  The maxed out PPA from many years back still compete head-on with many $1000 solidstate headamps of today.  Funny thing is most members now don't even know what is the PPA or M3 amp.

Agree; the PPA and M^3 (on the used market) seem like epic deals compared to more recent offerings. Disclosure: I'm still holding onto a maxed-out PPA (my 2nd bought from Purk!); I have a better amp in an old toaster Singlepower SDS, but man that PPA's a great sounding amp for relatively dirt cheap. I also had a lower-end PPA without the diamond buffer, and that thing sounded pretty darn nice too, for what it was.

x2... My main amp is still a diamond buffer PPA from a long time ago.  I came to the same conclusion... I would have to spend quite a bit of $$ to get a significantly better commercial SS amp than this.  But thats one thing thats totally different now than back then, DIY and the used DIY deals just aren't as frequent any more.  So I kind of ended my search amp-wise there.  The Dynalo was also another giant killer IMHO... they'e long gone though.

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #334 of 828
  anyone remember my old megathread?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/84184/before-and-after-pics-curse-you-head-fi

very sad that a lot of the oldest pics are broken.  once i switched over to guitars as the main hobby, the pics started working - i transitioned to photobucket as i recall, instead of hosting pics on the old head-fi site.

Hey Jahn... sorry to hear about your hearing loss.  That really blows.  Enjoy the guitar playing that can be very therapeutic in itself.  Yep I remember that thread.  I always wanted a Melos, loved the rack mount form.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #335 of 828

x2... My main amp is still a diamond buffer PPA from a long time ago.  I came to the same conclusion... I would have to spend quite a bit of $$ to get a significantly better commercial SS amp than this.  But thats one thing thats totally different now than back then, DIY and the used DIY deals just aren't as frequent any more.  So I kind of ended my search amp-wise there.  The Dynalo was also another giant killer IMHO... they'e long gone though.

The Dynalo is alive and well.  Look at the HeadAmp superb GS-X MKII for a revised balanced Dynalo (Justin Wilson version).  Kevin Gilmore also recently revised his old Dynalo circuit to the DIY community with Super Symmetry Dynalo MK2 (also a balanced amp).  You can also look into the Headroom Ultra Balanced Desktop for a really good solidstate amp. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #336 of 828
Hello to those who still remember me. I am alive and well...

Joined HF when I just started High School... now I am already married. Time sure flies!

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #338 of 828
Seems lots of us are from 2004 here. If only I knew about this site when it launched, I would have been here 2001 since I have been an audio nut since the 80s.

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #340 of 828
Yet another. Addicted to head-fi since 2004. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #341 of 828
I stopped lurking here around 2010 but I check back every couple months. I still use my Woo Audio (WA3) amp daily that I bought in 2005...6+ hours every day with no problems yet. After I bought my T1 in 2010 my urge to upgrade vanished.

Between 2005 and 2009 I collected pics that were posted here (most of them). I had them on Webshots until it was no longer free.  I've uploaded them to Photobucket.  If you get bored, check it out, you might find a long lost memory of past gear.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GreatDane67/library/toys/Head-Fi%20pics?sort=3&page=1

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #343 of 828
I just received a request for some pics of a D25 dual DAC mod I performed 10+ years ago; thought I'd pop in here and say hello. Found and sent pics of the mod, D25 schematic, PCB layout, etc. I actually still have the D25 and it still works fine. I did however suffer a light tremor thinking back to soldering stacked SMD chips.

My headphone gear has dwindled though the years, but still have a few good portable pieces; desktop rig these days is Stax 007s and a 727II, which I mod'd ala Spritzer/Doc Gilmore's resistor mod. Still using the Opus 21 I picked up in '06; still such a smooth analogish experience.

High-end gear remains a complete lure: opened the Amp-for-sale section just to have a peak, and gave a moment's thought to the very nice KGSSHV I saw there. Too easy to get sucked back in....

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #344 of 828
  I just received a request for some pics of a D25 dual DAC mod I performed 10+ years ago; thought I'd pop in here and say hello. Found and sent pics of the mod, D25 schematic, PCB layout, etc. I actually still have the D25 and it still works fine. I did however suffer a light tremor thinking back to soldering stacked SMD chips.

My headphone gear has dwindled though the years, but still have a few good portable pieces; desktop rig these days is Stax 007s and a 727II, which I mod'd ala Spritzer/Doc Gilmore's resistor mod. Still using the Opus 21 I picked up in '06; still such a smooth analogish experience.

High-end gear remains a complete lure: opened the Amp-for-sale section just to have a peak, and gave a moment's thought to the very nice KGSSHV I saw there. Too easy to get sucked back in....

The KGSSHV will be a great great amp for you.  Spritz is selling one on a reused chassis for around $2000. That's a great buy.  I have the 727II and it hardly able to drive the 007 properly.  The KGSSHV + SR007 is an end game rig really.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #345 of 828
The KGSSHV will be a great great amp for you.  Spritz is selling one on a reused chassis for around $2000. That's a great buy.  I have the 727II and it hardly able to drive the 007 properly.  The KGSSHV + SR007 is an end game rig really.
I know some prefer the KGSSHV to the BHSE. Since you have both, do you think the BHSE is that much better ( resolution, soundstage, imaging wise) than the KGSSHV driving the SR009?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back