Any love for the Activo CT10?
Jan 27, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #407 of 609
#nevermind

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #408 of 609
Hello! (This is my first post)

I recently replaced my iPod Video 5.5 Gen (I think the 512GB SSD I installed a few years ago finally died) with the CT10. I really like the CT10 and decided to go this route instead of just Frankenstein'ing the iPod some more. I miss having a dedicated music library to sync with (iTunes) and some other familiar conveniences, but most of all, I miss/need the ability to scrobble to Last.FM.

Now, I have followed Activo's link to installing apk's from APKPure.com, which I did. But doesn't seem to matter whether it's the official Last.FM app, or Scroball, Pano Scrobbler, Simple Scrobbler (those last 3 don't even show up when I try to look for them under CT10's Services). Does anyone have any help they can provide for getting this to work. I love the ability to scrobble and keep track of my listening habits, but haven't seemed to figure this out on my own. I was next going to try and download previous Last.FM software apks, as I have had that issue with the desktop client on my MacBook Pro, where I don't have the latest version installed. Version 2.0.0.7 is on my CT10 right now.

Anyway, I would be utterly grateful if someone can help me do this. Thank you for any help in advance.

Mar 21, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #409 of 609
Okay, I solved the album art issue. Somewhat.
Here's what I did.
Format the MSD card using the player and NOT your PC. Transfer songs back to card into a sub directory named "Music". Tell the player where the music is in MSD/Music. Do a full rescan.

Worked for me when nothing less did.

Mar 21, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #410 of 609
Thanks for taking the time to post. I agree that this is a common problem, my iPhone needs a good clear out about twice a year. However, having spent some time assessing this issue, I can conclude that there is some damage to the USB port. It will charge and with a higher quality cable I have managed to connect. I understand that I could get it repaired locally in the UK which is just as well as my warranty is unlikely to be valid as I bought it on eBay.
Thanks again

Mine does exactly the same thing and it is not damaged in any way. Firmware issue.

Mar 21, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #411 of 609
Hello! (This is my first post)

I recently replaced my iPod Video 5.5 Gen (I think the 512GB SSD I installed a few years ago finally died) with the CT10. I really like the CT10 and decided to go this route instead of just Frankenstein'ing the iPod some more. I miss having a dedicated music library to sync with (iTunes) and some other familiar conveniences, but most of all, I miss/need the ability to scrobble to Last.FM.

Now, I have followed Activo's link to installing apk's from APKPure.com, which I did. But doesn't seem to matter whether it's the official Last.FM app, or Scroball, Pano Scrobbler, Simple Scrobbler (those last 3 don't even show up when I try to look for them under CT10's Services). Does anyone have any help they can provide for getting this to work. I love the ability to scrobble and keep track of my listening habits, but haven't seemed to figure this out on my own. I was next going to try and download previous Last.FM software apks, as I have had that issue with the desktop client on my MacBook Pro, where I don't have the latest version installed. Version 2.0.0.7 is on my CT10 right now.

Anyway, I would be utterly grateful if someone can help me do this. Thank you for any help in advance.

don't know if the CT-10 supports all the APK apps. You'll need to check on their website. I've loaded a couple but mostly use Qbuz and Tidal for their offline feature. Only my R3 and CT-10 support that. Never done the load from an apple device though only a windows PC

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #412 of 609
don't know if the CT-10 supports all the APK apps. You'll need to check on their website. I've loaded a couple but mostly use Qbuz and Tidal for their offline feature. Only my R3 and CT-10 support that. Never done the load from an apple device though only a windows PC
Actually, they list Last.FM as an APK option on their site: ACTIVO I had zero issue installing the apk and signing into Last.FM, it just won't scrobble what I listen to, whether it's previous scrobbles when I connect the CT10 to wifi, or even if connected to wifi simultaneously while listening.

I also reached out to Activo directly and their response was pretty cut & paste:
Thank you very much for following up with Customer Support.

With the recent report on APKPure.com webpage formate change for Last.FM application download, the support team would like to recommend an alternative source: here
Meanwhile, along with ACTIVO's technical team, the support team is currently reviewing the status and is working on suitable solutions for the long term.

At last, upon receiving a new memory card, the support team does suggest to format it in FAT32. Here is a great article on formatting SD/microSD cards that a lot of our customers find helpful. http://www.androidauthority.com/high-capacity-microsd-cards-android-gary-explains-690710/
It's as if they weren't really paying attention to my issue at all. Player works fine, just can't get on device to recognize scrobbles.

I periodically keep checking Rockbox to see if someone has created a dev build for it, but I am not holding my breath. Either I am going to have to return to an iPod or find something else, like an Android forward device, where I can install from the Play store and will monitor device for scrobbles.

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #413 of 609
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are two relevant questions that emerged in this thread that Activo have not addressed so far and I'd love to find out how to sort these issues out:

1) reliable USB out for signal processing by an external DAC (have not managed to make it work with three different devices, tried to follow the process suggested earlier in this thread - didn't work)
2) the issue with the physical ff/rev buttons jumping several tracks ahead in Spotify with the screen off

I like the sound signature of the CT10 a lot (enjoyable without losing too much information), but these issues make me wanna take a hammer to it.

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #414 of 609
Despite some things that addressed here above, I really do find this player an amazing device.. I think it deserves some more attention than this thread suggests.

It is well designed. Although it is made from plastic... It holds damn good and still looks fresh and up-to-date!

Only thing (for me), some .apk are to fresh or to new to install on the Activo (so, in some cases you need to install older versions. Which, for me, is not a problem. Not, when the newer .apk's are still usable after new firmware updates on the Activo self, later on).

It is AstellnKern's budget player. Not tot expect the most detailed sound experience, but the sound is just there! Still detailed, but also I find it very engaging, full, great stereo image/seperation. Very enjoyable indeed like Sphinx mentioned here above. Personally, I like it more than the SR15, which is to warm for me. And don't need balanced anymore. :)

Also batterylife is pretty good, considering you can use streaming apps as well (It is way better than the A105 or M6 for example). And at least, they made this device better and better over time. So, I hope it stays in their collection for another couple of years (and refresh it sometimes, like a newer Android running in the background, USB-C and other small stuff which can make if more future proof)!

I also need to say I listen to in-ears and on Vol. 30 everything is loud enough for me. So for my needs....Just perfect :)

I really (still) can recommend this device! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #415 of 609
You're right. It is a good product - except for all the little nuisances. On top of the ones I pointed out - no .cue support? Un******believable.

And ... why doesn't it stop playback when you unplug your headphones (all Android things seem to do this, almost feels like Activo/AK must have deliberately disabled it). Ok you can get used to it but still...

One really good thing is the EQ. ATH M50x is my daily outdoor driver, with M70x being called into action when you feel you need to parse something in a recording. But when that special mission is accomplished, maybe you wanna listen to something else and the seventies would end up too dry with no bass. That is the one time ever I reach for an EQ and the onboard one does the job right.

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #416 of 609
You're right. It is a good product - except for all the little nuisances. On top of the ones I pointed out - no .cue support? Un******believable.

And ... why doesn't it stop playback when you unplug your headphones (all Android things seem to do this, almost feels like Activo/AK must have deliberately disabled it). Ok you can get used to it but still...

One really good thing is the EQ. ATH M50x is my daily outdoor driver, with M70x being called into action when you feel you need to parse something in a recording. But when that special mission is accomplished, maybe you wanna listen to something else and the seventies would end up too dry with no bass. That is the one time ever I reach for an EQ and the onboard one does the job right.

You are right about the little features that not working properly. It is indeed skipping tracks with screen off with the physical buttons. Strange!! Didn't knew that. But I can understand that a device like this with a very custom android build (and that is running Android 4) it is not able to do button control for every .apk app in a proper manner. I mean, it is also what you want to expect I think. Something which I can do easily. And besides, it is working properly with offline stuff. So you can understand that it is not only A&K who can do something about this issue?

To be honest and put it in perspective... I think this is something which will stay a problem for many more apps (installed by apkpure, liks last.fm you mentioned and not only with the Activo -> other brands and products will suffer the same). If you have a Playstore and a more recent Android running you can expect the best experiences in how your apps running with your devices. So an iPod Touch (with it's full iOS running, like an iPad) or for example; the M11 which are reliable options to get less bugs and the better experience overall. Funny to say that these days with a FiiO product... Before they had so many more issues and needed to install .apk stuff earlier as well (stil needed for the models below the M11).

But, to end this story. I think, that you now have a better sounding player than both of the devices above (and your old iPod) and still able to use some streaming apps. And yes, you need to live with bugs like you stated above. They don't sell millions of phones like Samsung to get it work for every app on the market. But, I can not deny, that it will be so much better if there no issues at all ofcourse! :D True!

And what do you mean, by no CUE support. It is working on the Activo (basic indeed), but there is no other device (of where I am aware off) that could do many morein thise price range.. it also on the same level with other A&K products (which are much more expensive as well). And maybe I am not understand this that much either, because I am not into this.

Just wanted to bring some nuances here. It is just a player with a very good price quality perception with a nice house sound. And the Activo is a blend of everything. Not to analytical, not to colored, not to bassy, not to uncontrolled, no to warm etc. I does a lot of things right with great resolution (in my opinion), to give you a nice sound and is still modern to see and use these days, and I'm not a supporter for AstellnKern either :). Just a happy user. And also I think it is very responsive as well, compares to a M6/M9 or even the NW-A105 which are sooo much slower in UI. For now I am going listening again! Stay Safe and hopefully you still enjoy it ofcourse! :)

PS online you can find also an Alu version (as CT15), but that is for the Asian market I guess. Only you see here a USB-B implemented like the CT10 and not a type-C and it would be great of course to see an updated CT10 in the future, which will running a more recent Android software, USB-C, Dual-DAC maybe as a PRO version as well (which is te way-to-go it seems these days) or a Limited Editon (which is more in line with the AK70 strategy in the past) :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #417 of 609
I agree with the ↑ general perspective (and have no plans of replacing mine any time soon). But you know what they say about camels and straws.

Funny you should mention FiiO - the user experience with their current offerings in terms of these details is exactly what I'd like the CT10 to deliver. If FiiO can do it, why can't (de facto) AK.

.cue: never went in full nerd mode and really tried to fix it, not sure there is a way. FiiO: generally supports .cue ouf of the box. CT10: just doesn't. So lots of flacs with no tracks :) Kind of a retro experience - but not the good kind of retro.

If it sounds like I should have gone with a FiiO and stop whining - actually picked this over two similarly priced FiiOs, CT10 just offered the better fun/accuracy ratio soundwise.

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #418 of 609
Hi @JasonNYC ,

I recently got an ACTIVO CT10 in order to replace my now dead iPod Classic. I was able to install Soundcloud, Spotify, and Audible APK's but I'm wondering if u guys know if Activo is compatible with the Stitcher Premium App and the Youtube Music App ? I've dowloaded both APKs various times to no avail. I'd like to be able to listen and download my podcasts thru Stitcher in my ACTIVO, and listen to my saved music on Youtube Music. Both are very popular apps and would be a greataddition in the next update. Another question, I'm a MAC OS Catalina user and I'm trying to not use iTunes to reorganize my music files but I'm struggling with adding album artwork to my MP3s a well as organizing various artists compilation albums. I get a ton of album repeats when I browse thru my albums on ACTIVO. I'm using Music Brainz Picard in order to tag my mp3s but I'm looking for something like mediamonkey for MAC in order to browse thru mp3 folders and change artwork more easily. If you guys have any recommendations or suggestions please let me know.

Best.
Migs H.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back