Any affordable, musical USB cables out there?
Jun 3, 2012 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

audio4one

New Head-Fier
I just purchased the iBasso D-Zero, and I would like to start trying to use the DAC part of it, so I would need some options on a USB-to-MiniUSB cable.  I understand that the included cable is actually not that bad, but I like choices. Can anyone recommend a musical, affordable ($20-$40) USB-to-MiniUSB cable (6" up to 1M)?  Thanks for the help!

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 51
I would, in all honesty, not spend so much as a cent more than you have to on a USB cable for a cheap device unless you were experiencing drop-outs. Such money should be put towards buying better headphones or other gear. 
smile.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 51
Honestly though, if you really want a nice-looking USB cable for a relatively modest price even if just for the bling factor, just get a cheap one from AudioQuest (although their higher-end ones are ludicrously overpriced).  I do realize that standard Monoprice USB cables and the like hardly look like they belong in a hi-fi setup, though I honestly don't care about the looks so much myself!

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 51
I realize that there has been a debate over the necessity of high-end cables used for data transmission since people have been mixing computers with music.  I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that I do indeed understand this.  But I also believe that a well-shielded, well-built cable will out last one that is neither.  Gold plated steel contacts have better electrical transmission than a cheaper connector that uses just steel or tin.  As to the musicality of a data cable...well, you never know?  Odder things have been used (in the world of high-end audio) that have actually improved what we hear!  Thanks for all the suggestions, and the humor, too!

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 51
Well the Monoprice ones are gold plated too. :p  Gold isn't used because it transmits electricity better though so much as it's because it doesn't corrode at all.  That's a major issue with cables with copper contacts, though copper technically does conduct electricity better.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 51
im also looking for a usb cable for my future setup, one to connect my pc to an audiophilleo. Does it really make that much of a difference, using a monoprice usb cable versus using the "best" usb cable, the audioquest diamond calbe?

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 51
I decided to keep things simple and portable, replacing several data-only cables with this:

The InCase iPod, Mini USB, and MicroUSB cable kit with travel pouch. $20 with free shipping from several websites.

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 51
I'm with the others. Monoprice. You have to have a seriously high end system for a cable to make difference. And even then it's questionable

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:
im also looking for a usb cable for my future setup, one to connect my pc to an audiophilleo. Does it really make that much of a difference, using a monoprice usb cable versus using the "best" usb cable, the audioquest diamond calbe?

I have an Angel cable (full solid 100% silver w/ FEP air-tube) from Audioquest and it is worth every penny.  These cables have their own sound signatures and are very, very distinctive. The difference is huge.   Diamond (for USB) is a very good one too.  Be glad those only run around 700 USD. I paid nearly double, $1200 for my Angel.   If you have some money to spare be prepared to spend at least 200 or more if you want nice butter low end details and moderate highs.  If you want more and crisper highs (better treble extensions) with more details the solid silver is the key.

What kind of sound signature are you looking for?  Try to be as detail as possible.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:
I have an Angel cable (full solid 100% silver w/ FEP air-tube) from Audioquest and it is worth every penny.  These cables have their own sound signatures and are very, very distinctive. The difference is huge.   Diamond (for USB) is a very good one too.  Be glad those only run around 700 USD. I paid nearly double, $1200 for my Angel.   If you have some money to spare be prepared to spend at least 200 or more if you want nice butter low end details and moderate highs.  If you want more and crisper highs (better treble extensions) with more details the solid silver is the key.

What kind of sound signature are you looking for?  Try to be as detail as possible.

I am planning on building my very first desktop rig when I have enough dough. The headphones would be the lcd3's the dac would probably be a nad m51 or maybe schiit's new upcoming statement dac. I really want to bring out the best detail and clarity from the lcd3 with nice airy highs, I dont want any component in the chain to be holding back the potential of the lcd3's. I will probably be getting a silver cable from toxic cables in the future for the lcd3's. But is the usb cable really as important as the headphone cable? 

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:
I will probably be getting a silver cable from toxic cables in the future for the lcd3's. But is the usb cable really as important as the headphone cable? 

Yes. In as much that neither one is very important at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back