Another "Which headphones should I buy?" thread
Jul 23, 2010 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Trendkill

Head-Fier
My budget is roughly $75. I could go slightly higher if the quality warrants it.

A 16gig Ipod Touch will be the primary source of music, but I will also use a Shuffle when I work out. Very rarely do I use my PC for any headphone listening. I'd prefer headphones that can be powered by these sources without an amp.

The music I listen to ranges from Lamb of God, Pantera, Slayer, Chimaira, Shadows Fall, and old school thrash such as Metallica and Megadeth. I also listen to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Black Sabbath. On a lighter note I listen to Phil Collins, Elton John, Prince and such. To round this off I will also throw in the likes of Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Shawn Lane, Steve Vai, and SRV.

I like my bass tight with a lot of punch, but I don't want it to sound like I'm sitting between 2 12-inch sub-woofers either. I'd like my mids noticeable and my highs sharp. Durability is key as well. I will workout about every day with these so I need something tough.

Hopefully there are phones available with my specs in my price range.

Feel free to unload with all of your suggestions. Thank you.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 25
At that price, a vote for the Ety MC5s, which have punchy bass for sure, and if you don't like them, you can return them to Amazon in 30 days. Only out of pocket is the return shipping. Or, you might want to read Joker's massive review thread for phones in that price range. Fischer Audio has some that might fit the bill as well.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 25
Given your music preference and your budget, I'd say check out Grado SR60 if you are in the US. If you are living in other countries, I'd say Koss portapro may serve you needs well, or maybe add another $25 for a pair of MS1. The pricing of grado line is just ridiculous outside of the US. But remember always check out the F/S forum here first, you could always find good deal there. Just my 2cents.

Edit: Sorry didn't see this thread was in the portable hp forum, the sr60 and ms1 are not really ideal for portable use. Re0 / zero are getting a lot of praise on here at this price, but please take note that I never heard them myself.

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 25
Hmmm. Eureka!
I was going to make a 'which iem' post of my own, but this poster has the exact same needs as me!
So please audiophiles, lead us out of the dark.
I was about to order the RE0's from head direct as they still seem to be onsale.
Ps I'm from Canada, I don't know if best buy has the same return strategy.
I've previously owned Super Fi 5 Pros, Shure E2C, Denon "252" (garbage), and some 35 dollar sony ex35somethingorothers that were alright but which got eaten yesterday by my bicycle chain!

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 25
Hmm, u might like the PX100-II which has very a good bass extension, though it does have the typical sennheiser "veiled" sound. Koss Porta Pros also have great bass, and are brighter than the PX100-II with better soundstage and 3D imaging. Both are easily driven out of an Ipod.

Do these headphones need to be closed or isolating? If not, since your working out (closed pairs make you sweat more), then the ones above are highly suggested.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 25
I 2nd Koss PP!

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
I like my bass tight with a lot of punch

Airplane joke incoming. 

Sorry if I missed it, but do you have a preference for IEMs/regular headphones? I know you said headphones, but often that's just used in a general sense. 

Quote:
Monster Turbine Pro Copper.

Find em for $75 and I'm all over it.

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 25
make sure you look at these multips reviews joker's and ClieOS'

but if I wanted around that price range and have good bass I would choose either fisher enterna v1 or hippo vb

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 25
Thanks for the tips guys. I ordered the Brainwavz M1 yesterday, but I want a backup pair as well.

I didn't specify whether I wanted IEM or OTE because I've had OTE phones that could handle some brutal workouts. I am definitely leaning towards IEM for my backup pair as well.

I've looked through the joker reviews and it has made the decision much more difficult, but that's not a bad problem to have!

I know this isn't the right area, but instead of starting a new thread I though I would inquire about some OTE phones. I'm looking at the Grado SR60 or 80 or Alessandro MS-1. These would be my phones for exclusive home use.

Any suggestions?

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 25
I personally think grado sr80 is a better choice for you. You can find more info in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503041/what-are-the-best-grado-s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back