Another Sennheiser HD800 First Impression
Jan 10, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #76 of 150
Price will come down eventurely...its not limited edition...lets just wait and see ^ ^

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #78 of 150
For me, a HD600 with better drivers and bigger soundstage = win.

If these disappoint me like the HD650s did, then I'm sure plenty of other people will be interested in a pair. If they blow me away, then my game of musical headphones will have come to an end.

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #79 of 150
^^ HD600 and poor soundstage is what u imply?

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #80 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ HD600 and poor soundstage is what u imply?

I don't think he meant that the HD600 is necessarily poor, but improvement OVER what's the HD600 already achieved is a winner.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #81 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think he meant that the HD600 is necessarily poor, but improvement OVER what's the HD600 already achieved is a winner.
biggrin.gif

hmm.,.not a bad idea..if u see after HD595.. Sennheiser didnt utilise the E.A.R technology which is angled placement of drivers to enhanced soundstage and spatial listening.

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #82 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. Barring unforeseen logisital problems, I can't see why Senn (or any other company for that matter) would spend tons of money and time developing a product and debut it under less than optimal conditions. Same with the "is it burned in yet?" comment(s). These guys aren't idiots.

I think Sennheiser knows JUST a little bit more about headphones than head-fi members.

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #83 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think Sennheiser knows JUST a little bit more about headphones than head-fi members.

So, what you are saying, is that you do not believe the HD800's will benefit from a better source and amp than the DAC1?

If they are anything like the HD650 in this regard, oh yes, I believe they will!

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #84 of 150
I just decided not to get HD800, i am satisfied with K702/HD650 soundquality, but i really would like to have a pair of quad 2905, now theres nice SQ <3 (now just where to get the +5000 euros)

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #85 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what you are saying, is that you do not believe the HD800's will benefit from a better source and amp than the DAC1?

If they are anything like the HD650 in this regard, oh yes, I believe they will!

No, that's not what I'm saying. Anything will sound better with a "better" source + amp. There is never a "best".

I'm just referring to the guys questioning Senn's demo setup by asking stupid questions like are they burnt in, or asking if DAC1 is enough to drive those headphones. If Sennheiser chose the DAC1 for setup, then yeah, I think DAC1 is good enough.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #86 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD800 was very good in both transients and spacial precision. Better than the HD650, but not quite as good as the K1000. In my brief listening session, the HD800 sounded to me like an extremely well balanced headphone, meaning that it might not be the absolute best at any one sonic trait, but it was extremely good at everything, without sounding deficient at anything. In that respect, it's better than the K1000.

That's sounds good to me. My dream headphones have the technical ability (detailing, imaging, speed) of the K1000 with the smoothness and full bodied sound from Sennheiser (and they need to be comfortable!). I get the feeling the HD800 scales just like the HD6XX, so it still has a lot of potential. They were using it with the DAC1 headphone out (if I understood correctly), which is considered to be equivalent to a $300 desktop amp.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #87 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevtt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it is way early in the game but I'm not catching anything that may make me want to move away from my RS-1's. Especially if it isn't a huge deviation over the 650's...

I can't reiterate this strongly enough: the soundstage difference alone is a huge deviation from the HD650. Whereas the sonic difference between the 580, 600, and 650 is not obvious to many listeners, nobody is going to mistake the 800 for the any of the others.

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #88 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Al, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the practice stated above, if it is enforced by cutting off dealers who sell at a discount, is also known as "price fixing", and is not particularly legal in the US. My understanding is that a company can regulate the price at which its products are advertised, but not the actual sale price. This is why so many ads are of the "see final price in shopping cart" variety. The advertised price can be controlled, but not the sale price.

"Price fixing" is actually the term for when competing companies agree to sell their products at the same price. A hypothetical example of this scenario would be if TTVJ and Headroom agreed with each other not to discount a product. Or, hypothetically, if Sennheiser and AKG agreed to sell their flagship products at the same price. That would be illegal.

The price control practice you're describing is "resale price maintenance", and is not inherently illegal. (The legality depends on specifics of the situation.) The ability of manufacturers to legally control price was confirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2007. See the Wiki entry Resale price maintenance.

Anyhow, it can certainly be pulled off. Try to find an authorized dealer selling a Benchmark DAC1 product below list price.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #90 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
daym at $1400 you would need a serious home rig to power these things. i'm not at that level. i will focus on my hd600 for now. btw is it me or does the hd800 look pretty weird? i didn't see anyone mention this so maybe i'm in the minority here.

thank god you said something I was just reading through the whole thread to see if I was the only one that thought they look like the designers were smoking too much crack. IMO they look absolutely ridiculous, I dont care what under the hood with them looking like that!!! $1400 price tag/plastic and looking like some over-designed starship. pretty tasteless IMO
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back