Another Sennheiser HD800 First Impression
Jan 11, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #106 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll from headroom put some pictures of the cable termination here.

Thanks for the link!
Really nice and details pictures indeed.
smile.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #107 of 150
Very good and honest impressions. Really, it clear my hypothesis (and some "concerns") that i put recently in the other thread [Tyll (headroom) impressions thread) even when readed the first time and recently]....
As i said in that thread, i like his looks; the technology used and built quality. But; it's hard to justify them over my Modded Denons (supreme version) for that price (they only seem to be superior in the speed and "possibly" in the soundstage (a little bit more at best) and possibly in some other little things...).
But, i still appreciate the efforts that the creators/designers put in his fabrication.... I really like/prefer them a lot over the previous sennheisers....
Really, i prefer to get the Wood cups for my Denons (if someday i'll travel to EEUU/USA), or making to do the cups with a specialized carpenter in my country/City (and it will cost a lot cheaper...)...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday evening (Wednesday 1/7) I saw but did not get to hear the Sennheiser HD800 phones before the CES show opened. I posted a few comments about them in Jude’s huge thread. After the show opened today (Thursday 1/8) I got to hear them. I have started a new thread to keep my listening impressions from getting lost in the hundreds of posts in the other thread.

Before I get to my sonic impressions, here’s what I wrote yesterday before I actually got to hear the HD800:

On the show floor at CES, Sennheiser had a glass enclosed listening room dedicated to the HD800. The room was decently isolated, but some background noise from the show floor still got through. In it were an EMMlabs CD transport, connected via AES/XLR digital output to a Benchmark DAC1 (original version). Plugged into the DAC1 were both the HD800 and the HD650 for comparison. I own a Benchmark DAC1 Pre and the HD650, so I had a good reference point to what was in the booth. And, among the case full of demo CDs that Sennheiser had in the booth were two that I personally own and am very familiar with. I got to listen to those CDs and another that was already in the transport for five or ten minutes, switching back and forth between the HD800 and the HD650. In general, the sound signature between the two was quite similar, but the HD800 had a dramatically larger soundstage (and I mean dramatically larger). Indeed the only headphone I’ve ever heard with a larger soundstage than the HD800 was the AKG K1000 I used to own. Other sonic differences between the HD650 and the HD800 were fairly subtle. The HD800 highs and lows were more extended, but of the same character as the HD650. In the short time that I listened in that environment, I couldn’t really distinguish much more than that. The other obvious difference between the two phones was comfort. For those who have endured the dreaded HD600/650 head clamp, the HD800 is incredibly comfortable. I would prefer that the HD800 earpads be a little thicker, but they were acceptable. And as I mentioned in my prior comments, the physical space for the ears is much larger in the HD800, which relieves that suffocating presence of the HD650s. I expect that the HD800 would be well suited to long listening sessions with minimal fatigue.

The big question, of course, is whether the HD800 is worth the $1399 price. Each Head-Fi person will have to decide that for him or herself. The current favorite headphone that I own is a lowly Denon AH-D2000 which was heavily modified with a variant of the “Markl mods”, as well as the Lawton Audio mahogany wood replacement cups and a DIY cable upgrade. I prefer it easily over the HD650. (That comparison, which I did in the leisure of my own home over a couple of weeks was no contest.) Given that I wasn’t able to compare the HD800 directly to my D2000, you can take my following comments with a grain of salt. I prefer the bass of my modded D2000 over that of the HD800. The open air design of the HD800 just can’t match the closed design of the Denons in the low end, particularly with the Markl mods keeping the D2000 bass well under control. The Lawton wood cups for the D2000 are somewhat larger than the stock cups, and they create a larger soundstage, but the HD800 soundstage was larger still. The HD800 wins there. I can’t really assess the midrange and treble, or many other sonic characteristics, of the HD800 vs. the modded D2000 without hearing them side by side. My Denon D2000 cost me about $550 including all the mods, and with the Lawton cups, they sound mighty sweet. I almost hate to say this because I really do like the HD800, but with the new Sennheiser priced at well over double what I paid for the modded D2000, I’m going to stick with the Denon. If, however, I were specifically looking to get new open phones, I would have to consider the HD800 as the front runner.

IDEM as above....
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I regards to this part of you post, I too have Denon AH-D2000 which was heavily modified with a variant of the “Markl mods”, as well as the Lawton Audio mahogany wood replacement cups and an APS V2 cable upgrade, costing about $700. The only thing I haven't done is dampen the frame or put fiberloft in the cups (Dynamat is inside the wood cup, earpads are stuffed). And I have them terminated with a 4-pin XLR plug and adapter cables to listen balanced or single ended like my HD600.

I also prefer these over the HD600/HD650, mostly for the soundstage as well as deeper bass and better comfort. I like the extra bass of the D2000 but the HD600 bass is still enough for me too (although SE I prefer my Woo WA6 for the mids). Nevertheless, the D2000 get the most ear time of my Dynamic headphones. Since my SS balanced Single Power is on all the time and I don't always have time to warm up my Woo GES/Stax O2 to hear good sounding music, the D2000 became my "go to" cans.

So, when my HD800 get here I will try to let you know how they sound vs HD600 and modded D2000 (HD650 sold).

Agreed, but adding to the numeral two, sound much superior...
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good points all.

To me, what I expect for $1400:

1. It had better be built like a tank.
2. Sound superior to anything below it price wise.
3. Be comfortable to wear.
4. Not have any mechanical issues.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #108 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It definitely won't be "4x" as good as the HD650. If the HD650 were "90%" of the HD800 (which are my best expectations), then the HD800 is "worth it" if you love music
biggrin.gif

I can't help but think some people are under the impression that the HD800 is much better. When you're already at diminishing returns, the differences aren't at all significant. Unfortunately, some of the "minor" differences can make for a much more enjoyable experience.

In the end, you'll be battling your rationale, i.e. there isn't that much of a difference, versus your emotions, i.e. this is more enjoyable!

^^^^

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #110 of 150
I can't believe I missed this thread. It might be a little late, but thank you for your honest and realistic impressions.

It's good to hear less enthused opinions on the HD800, so people can better judge if they want to spend that $1400.

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #111 of 150
You're going to hear things all over the place for a little while. People that never really liked the Sennheiser sound aren't going to have as positive impressions as people who like them, so you'll have to take that into account. Also, you'll have people praising them to the high heavens because they're the new thing by Sennheiser and hype has overtaken them. If you want a more solid picture of where these babies will end up, I say wait 2 or 3 years... My main question is that are these limited editions? Will these only be available for 3 or 4 years before they stop getting sold?

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #112 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love when people claim to know what a headphone isn't capable of without even hearing it for themselves. Truly priceless.

or is
icon10.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #113 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main question is that are these limited editions?

No

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #114 of 150
John, HD580 was released around 1994-ish and discontined around 2006... so it lasted 12 years.

Do you have any idea how long HD800 would be last?

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #115 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, HD580 was released around 1994-ish and discontinued around 2006... so it lasted 12 years.

Do you have any idea how long HD800 would be last?

Actually I thought the HD 580 was earlier than that by a couple of years.

And I have no idea how long the HD 800 will last - I don't think Sennheiser know themselves.

Going by past experience, it will last as long as people want to buy it and that they cannot better it technically.

The HD 600 has been, in effect, going for 14 years as it came out in 1995 (originally as the limited edition HD 580 Jubillee).

The HD 250 lasted 20 years.

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #116 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by cAsE sEnSiTiVe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or is
icon10.gif

The only people claiming to know how good it IS are those that have actually heard it. Apples and oranges.

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #117 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only people claiming to know how good it IS are those that have actually heard it. Apples and oranges.

Judging by the amount of people that have plunked down $1400 to pre-order a headphone they themselves have never heard, based solely on the observations of a chosen few, albeit experienced ears, I'd say my comment is not completely without merit.

I am not crapping on the headphone, I most likely will own a pair at some point. But as I tend to prefer to test drive a car myself before purchasing it, I'll wait until I hear the HD800 at CanJam to decide whether it's a large enough improvement over the 600/650's to warrant the layout of moolah. What works for one set of ears, may not please another....as I'm sure you know.
beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #118 of 150
^^^^Thank goodness for that 30 day return policy.

What's the logic of listening at a meet, under meet conditions versus being able to listen in the silence and comfort of your own home with your system?

popcorn.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #119 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^^Thank goodness for that 30 day return policy.

What's the logic of listening at a meet, under meet conditions versus being able to listen in the silence and comfort of your own home with your system?

At a meet, you can hear the phones with a variety of different source components and amps, including your own if you bring them to the meet. That way, you can sort out what's contributing what to the sound. And, you don't have to fork out the price of the cans just to try them out.

Of course, the two options aren't mutually exclusive. You could listen at a meet, then if you like what you hear, order one to try at home to see if you still like it with extended listening.

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #120 of 150
My gut instinct tells me to start saving for the hD-800's. I doubt I'll have the funds but something somehow I get the feeling the HD-800's will be a favorite headphone and I am excited to experience them even if it may only be at a dealers demo. In Canadian translation these phones will be over $1800 CDN according to Sennheisser Canada who claim to not know when they will be available. I'm excited and hope to one day get them. I have a pair of Markl modded D5000 and they are wonderful. The mods do improve on an already good sounding headphone but I still am curious for the Sennheissers. Even though my headphone count is 2 to 1 Grado over Sennheisser I have no itch to get the new expensive Grado's but the Sennheisser's have me itchy. The Markl modded D5000 are the best headphones I have right now but in second are my 650's and then maybe one of my woodied Grado's but I couldn't say which ones. The 4 I have do different things well but the DM5000 by Markl do everything well.How they will compare against the new Sennheissers will hopefully be my pleasure to decide . I hope I can swing them when they're available. I'm not so curious over the PS-1000's. If I were to spend that type of money it would, in my guess, be better put on the Senns. This is only my gut feeling and that means little to anyone but me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back