Another Sennheiser HD800 First Impression
Mar 14, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #121 of 150
What stores that lets you preorder the Hd 800 in Europe and even better Sweden does actually have a satisfaction warranty?

But anyway it sounds like they are still having the "senn signature some what"... Getting a pair of HD 650s if I don´t preferr them over my other headphones I may want to skip the HD 800 then. 10 % improvement is hardly enough for paying 6 times more then I rather get something more radically different.

But well since I didn´t particularly liked my Denons I still think I will preferr the 650s will see
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #123 of 150
After watching one of the videos on the PR site for the new HD800, when considering the presentation of the position of the driver in forwardly angled position, I could not help but be reminded of the AKG K1000 in how it can be position as seen in so many pictures around this site.

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #124 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...consider the price tag, they need minimum 100 % improvement over the HD 650s.

That sums it up well... and... given the comments that have heard them compared to the HD650s and the Denons... it doesn't sound like the HD800s "meet this test."

And... I doubt very much... that the Grado PS-1000s do either.

So... unless you just have "money to burn" - it would seem that it would be very difficult to justify the significant investment.

And... I suspect... that will be the perspective of most who might consider them - which likely means... the price will come way down, eventually... or... they'll be discontinued.

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #125 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...consider the price tag, they need minimum 100 % improvement over the HD 650s.

Given the point of diminishing returns on high end audio gear, it's not logical to ever expect 100% improvement on a product that's already >90% great. People pay 2X or 3X prices just to get an extra 1% or 2% better sound.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #126 of 150
Interesting reading posts from people who have not heard the HD 800
biggrin.gif

The HD 800 is different from the HD 600/650 in every respect - it's not an improvement on an earlier design, but a whole new pair of headphones designed from the ground up with three different patents in its design.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #127 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

The HD 800 is different from the HD 600/650 in every respect - it's not an improvement on an earlier design, but a whole new pair of headphones designed from the ground up with three different patents in its design.

John, are you familiar with the HE60?
For some reason I have the feeling the HD800 and the HE60 have a lot in common. Can you comment on that?

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #128 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, are you familiar with the HE60?
For some reason I have the feeling the HD800 and the HE60 have a lot in common. Can you comment on that?

Yes I am familiar with the HE 60 - but it's been over 15 years since I listened to it.

I think the thing about the HD 800 is that you have to hear it for yourself.

Though your post prompts me to "borrow" the HE 90 "Orpheus" set from the General Manager's office and compare it to the HD 800 as soon as I can.

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #130 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

John,
With all due respect, I have heard the HD800. I would never mistake it for the HD580 or HD650, both of which I have owned. However, the concept of value for the money is particularly important to many people right now, so I think it's a fair topic to discuss whether the HD800 is worth the price difference over Sennheiser's other models, irrespective of whether they are based on similar or completely different designs.

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #131 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John,
With all due respect, I have heard the HD800. I would never mistake it for the HD580 or HD650, both of which I have owned. However, the concept of value for the money is particularly important to many people right now, so I think it's a fair topic to discuss whether the HD800 is worth the price difference over Sennheiser's other models, irrespective of whether they are based on similar or completely different designs.

Agreed. Or even folks with other brand headphones like the AKG701s in my case. Headphones like the 701s, 650s, and that ilk are really solid as is at their present price points so I think all of us want to get a better grip on what an extra THOUSAND dollars really does for us over those kinds of cans.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #133 of 150
i won't be picking up a pair of these although i'd be interested to hear them.

i'm surprised Senn are releasing these at the price, must be like the orpheus because not many people will spend £1k on headphones.

for the same money, get a decent hi-fi and some hd650's.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #134 of 150
If they are close to the HE60, then they are worth the price. I seriously doubt they will be up with the HE90. That phone was on it's own plateau...

That being said, the HE-90 has a sound that doesn't engage me and I prefer a few headphones to it. But it's a great listen anyway.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #135 of 150
Maybe Senn. will release an economic version of HD800 later on, say HD700. Afterall 600/650 have been there awhile and need something to top it. Since it will be at a lower price point so more sales and more profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back