Another Sennheiser HD800 First Impression
Jan 10, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #91 of 150
I really don't get the whole looks thing that people are complaining about. I always thought the most important thing about headphones was how they sound.

Really, do you have to think that your headphones look great to want to listen to them? Is there some type of romance that has to be built into a listening session? Really, how many people are going to wear these down to the local nightclub to pickup a man/woman? I'd guess 0.

The only place I listen to full size cans is at home at my listening station. I know some people will probably use them in an office setting, etc. but most will use them at home. The only person that will see me wearing them is my wife, and she already thinks I'm a dork, so no big deal there.

I happen to love the Sennheiser sound, the HD650's being my current favorite cans. So, I have taken the plunge and ordered through HeadRoom. I figure I have a full 30 days to see if they are all that. If they are, my guess is I won't be buying any other cans for a long time. If not, I'll ship them back and rebuy the RS-1's I'm returning to get these badboys. Either way, it's a can't lose situation.

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #92 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank god you said something I was just reading through the whole thread to see if I was the only one that thought they look like the designers were smoking too much crack. IMO they look absolutely ridiculous, I dont care what under the hood with them looking like that!!! $1400 price tag/plastic and looking like some over-designed starship. pretty tasteless IMO
popcorn.gif

Hmm, I'm not going to let you listen to mine then...

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #93 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't get the whole looks thing that people are complaining about. I always thought the most important thing about headphones was how they sound.

I can't answer for everyone...

But I think I can answer for 99% of all people who have commented about the looks of the HD800 (either favorably or unfavorably) by saying that:

a) although sound quality is definitely the most important consideration (by far) when purchasing a pair of headphones,

b) if that pair of headphones happens to cost $1,400, then there will be an expectation (and a quite reasonable expectation, in my estimation) that such headphones will be constructed out of excellent materials, be appealing to the eye, be well packaged, comfortable fitting, ergonomically appropriate for long term wear, etc, and

c) since most people haven't yet had the opportunity to listen to the HD800 themselves, yet are interested in them and excited about the news of their release, they quite naturally will want to discuss them in one manner or another, thus

d) much of the discussion at this stage of the game will be centered on things that they can (at this point) form a reasonable opinion about, like their reaction to the design and overall visual appeal of the headphones.

But you're right otherwise. If, 6 months from now, the center of all HD800 discussions remains on the sight rather than the sound, it will be time to find a new forum to hang out at.

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #94 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't answer for everyone...

But I think I can answer for 99% of all people who have commented about the looks of the HD800 (either favorably or unfavorably) by saying that:

a) although sound quality is definitely the most important consideration (by far) when purchasing a pair of headphones,

b) if that pair of headphones happens to cost $1,400, then there will be an expectation (and a quite reasonable expectation, in my estimation) that such headphones will be constructed out of excellent materials, be appealing to the eye, be well packaged, comfortable fitting, ergonomically appropriate for long term wear, etc, and

c) since most people haven't yet had the opportunity to listen to the HD800 themselves, yet are interested in them and excited about the news of their release, they quite naturally will want to discuss them in one manner or another, thus

d) much of the discussion at this stage of the game will be centered on things that they can (at this point) form a reasonable opinion about, like their reaction to the design and overall visual appeal of the headphones.

But you're right otherwise.

Yup!! Most of us can only interact with a picture on the Internet at this stage of he Game.

My How the Internet has changed things!!

In the Ol' days, like the year 2000.

You had to wait for the Absolute Sound or Sterophile to go to the CES, get drunk, review the product, go out with P*RN Stars at the Concurrent P*ORN convention in town, get drunk some more, go home and write a review in a month.

So we wouldn't even know about a product launch for 30-60 days. Now we know before the Absolute Sound does!!!

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #95 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now we know before the Absolute Sound does!!!

True, but they get to hang out with P*ORN stars.
popcorn.gif

(BTW, why use an asterix to replace the OPC in popcorn? It's Ok to use the word popcorn at Head-Fi.)

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #96 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but they get to hang out with P*ORN stars.
popcorn.gif

(BTW, why use an asterix to replace the OPC in popcorn? It's Ok to use the word popcorn at Head-Fi.)

Heh, well you can't be TOO careful...

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #97 of 150
I can't help wondering if it wont be another ED9 case where the headphone is very good, but not 4x as good as the HD650. I am very much hoping that they aren't as dark as the HD650s, but sound more like the HD600s. Edit: Considering Jude's comment that they started out from scratch sonically as well as everything else, I am hoping for some deep bass to be there as well.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #98 of 150
Good points all.

To me, what I expect for $1400:

1. It had better be built like a tank.
2. Sound superior to anything below it price wise.
3. Be comfortable to wear.
4. Not have any mechanical issues.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #99 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... The only person that will see me wearing them is my wife, and she already thinks I'm a dork, so no big deal there....

You made my day!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #100 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't help wondering if it wont be another ED9 case where the headphone is very good, but not 4x as good as the HD650. I am very much hoping that they aren't as dark as the HD650s, but sound more like the HD600s.

It definitely won't be "4x" as good as the HD650. If the HD650 were "90%" of the HD800 (which are my best expectations), then the HD800 is "worth it" if you love music
biggrin.gif

I can't help but think some people are under the impression that the HD800 is much better. When you're already at diminishing returns, the differences aren't at all significant. Unfortunately, some of the "minor" differences can make for a much more enjoyable experience.

In the end, you'll be battling your rationale, i.e. there isn't that much of a difference, versus your emotions, i.e. this is more enjoyable!

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #101 of 150
By its appearance, it seems the HD800 has a bright tonality and is suited for techno and pop music
biggrin.gif
The metallic color and industrial design connotes a certain emphasis towards the high frequencies. Also, the appearance seems to express that the sound is thin, lacking in texture, cavernous, and possibly resonant. Doesn't anyone else feel this way?

Without any wood or elegance, how is anyone supposed to listen to classical music with them?!

See how looks are important!?

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #102 of 150
I'm taking this opportunity to listen to my Grado GS1000s and think back to the hype machine upon their release....and....yes it was all true...they are amazing.

next up...the hd800s....they will be mine...oh, yes...they must be acquired.

I, for one, care less for looks(but I think they are gorgeous), and more for the SQ....It all looks good. I only wish that they came in an R10 type box for prosperity.

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #103 of 150
I agree that looks arent everything and its the sound we are interested in, but at this price, they damn well be something pretty too. coming from a design background myself I just dont get why they made them look this way??? for a headphone of this pedigree you want the design to have some lasting/classic good looks. These will date before they even start to hit the shelves IMO

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #104 of 150
I have tried HD580 from EAR, was good. I have tried HD650 from Zana, was good or even very good. I have tried balanced HD650 from RPX100, was different than tubes, to metalic or what ever you want to call it, but for some people it can be the set up.
But non of this will even brought me 1 feet closer to the feeling to get them, just not my headphones, thats all.

What I am trying to say is there are folks who will buy them, at any price, and will praise them to a heaven. And there are another side of the moon, folks who dreams more often to get one, or even just listen/try them, than they ever will own them. So, Sennheiser know this, simply marketing BS, and they probably will get the production to the high level, especially in the beginning, but after that only the truly user/consumer can tell what ever they are worth the price or not.
If I have to believe what Jude wrote, then these are the best ever made, but if I read this thread, its just another thread about another hp, which do not get me anywhere close to even think about buying them.

USD 1399 are not the money that it was back in 1980, cos when AKG K1000 were like DEM 1500 it was damn expensieve. Right now USD 1399 isnt like that at all. Yes, its damn expensieve, but with other look/feeling at the money prospect. And thats one of those reasons why manufactures are so easy to release their products with such prices at the moment.
Not sure what Sennheiser wants by limited the sellers, sounds like Grado, at least up here in Holland. You cant buy Grado's, even cheap one, at simple electronica store, high end only, while Sennheisers hanging all over the places at any reasonable shop, which is nothing else than mass products. So, now they want some level? Well time will learn how it goes...

But at the moment I am going to enjoy the threads, which would give the community some impulse and thats the best part so far, for me at least...

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #105 of 150
Wow, nice review. I am in now way even thinking of buying one of these but it's astounding to see a 1.4k headphone on the market.

I can't wait to read some detailed reviews from some of the other members of Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back