Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
Dec 13, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #376 of 435
Perfectly fair enough. As long as they suit your intended use(s). They are quite expensive for something that may not be excellent in a game environment, though. At least the comfort is very good, you say, so that would help for gaming.

I wonder how much they charge for that microphone cable, if it breaks.. :thinking:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #378 of 435
I happen to find them excellent and very immersive for gaming and having a rich, full sound.
But I’m not interested in multiplayer FPS games at all.
Ok, general gaming/audio quality. Have you heard Mobius to compare them to? Mobius has excellent SQ, very good in-game for a closed phone, but they get sooo hot and are over-engineered to be practical.

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #379 of 435
Ok, general gaming/audio quality. Have you heard Mobius to compare them to? Mobius has excellent SQ, very good in-game for a closed phone, but they get sooo hot and are over-engineered to be practical.

No, I have the Penrose since Friday but only tried it for about an hour with a racing game, not the best test for both immersive nor competitive gameplay.
I had Tempest 3D on in the console but I don’t think GT supports it so you don’t get the full experience.

Dec 13, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #380 of 435
The LCD-GX

After listening to it....

Its a warm, mildly relaxed, quite natural, balanced, and enjoyable sound.
Bass is sold, mids are wide, and the treble is smooth.
The presentation of sound is not attempting to be hyper analytical or the utmost in resolution.

This is the closest an Audeze headphone can get to the Sennheiser HD6 sound...........so far.
This headphone has a very familiar Sennheiser sound, regarding the way it portrays the midrange and textural smoothness.
I'd say its similar to the HD600 sound but with much better bass response, similar but much smoother mids, and a much smoother treble response.
Cables are great.
Comfort is very good.
Excellent headphone for enjoying Vocals or acoustic instruments, especially.
Soundstage is not super wide, but its not tight or small.

I think that Audeze should have marketed this Gear as a "studio reference" headphone, as its quite flat and natural and mostly neutral.
It has the LCD-X Drivers, so, the bass is not lean and yet not overpowering.
How is the treble? Joshua Valour said it was rather poor for it's price range.

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #381 of 435
I think that Audeze should have marketed this Gear as a "studio reference" headphone, as its quite flat and natural and mostly neutral.

This is something I second and stated in my own review. I think calling them a gaming headphone is actually selling the GX short. I do understand Audeze wanting to market to gamers, but the GX really is audiophile grade, period.

I don't know how it slots into the LCD line in terms of performance, since I've only heard the 1 and 2.2, but I guess giving it a numerical model number may have been difficult.

If I wasn't so financially constricted, I'd get one of these as my main full sized headphone.

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #382 of 435
The LCD-GX

After listening to it....

Its a warm, mildly relaxed, quite natural, balanced, and enjoyable sound.
Bass is sold, mids are wide, and the treble is smooth.
The presentation of sound is not attempting to be hyper analytical or the utmost in resolution.

This is the closest an Audeze headphone can get to the Sennheiser HD6 sound...........so far.
This headphone has a very familiar Sennheiser sound, regarding the way it portrays the midrange and textural smoothness.
I'd say its similar to the HD600 sound but with much better bass response, similar but much smoother mids, and a much smoother treble response.
Cables are great.
Comfort is very good.
Excellent headphone for enjoying Vocals or acoustic instruments, especially.
Soundstage is not super wide, but its not tight or small.

I purchased the GX to try out and did a lot of research and I thought it shared drivers with the MX4 and not the X. They call them 'Fluxor magnet array' instead of 'Proprietary magnet array' like the others on the specification sheet on both these models, but the GX is single sided unlike the MX4. I found the bass to be nearly as rolled off as the Sundara (quite lean) in default tuning. It did take EQ really well though. I haven't tried any other Audeze full sized headphones to compare them to.

It did feel like the 'gaming' marketing was an odd choice and just tacked on, given that they have a more harman neutral tuning than the others on graphs, are fairly heavy, and don't do anything particularly 'gamey' other than the included mic.

@Beagle The treble was fairly laid back compared to the Sundara for example, but not bad. I personally preferred the Sundara tuning though.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #383 of 435
I purchased the GX to try out and did a lot of research and I thought it shared drivers with the MX4 and not the X. They call them 'Fluxor magnet array' instead of 'Proprietary magnet array' like the others on the specification sheet on both these models, but the GX is single sided unlike the MX4. I found the bass to be nearly as rolled off as the Sundara (quite lean) in default tuning. It did take EQ really well though. I haven't tried any other Audeze full sized headphones to compare them to.

It did feel like the 'gaming' marketing was an odd choice and just tacked on, given that they have a more harman neutral tuning than the others on graphs, are fairly heavy, and don't do anything particularly 'gamey' other than the included mic.

@Beagle The treble was fairly laid back compared to the Sundara for example, but not bad. I personally preferred the Sundara tuning though.

Is it me or are quite a few reputable audio companies coming out with high end gaming headphones? Until now it was a market saturates by a few computer accessory manufacturers. My son has purchased quite a few of these cheap, fragile products from the likes of Turtle Beach. Cheap plastics and subpar acoustics. Either mics fail or wire strain relief gives out. However some of the failures were no doubt caused by him tossing them off his head in anger at a game. So I could not see spending crazy money on a nice set of Audezes. 😁

Dec 13, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #384 of 435
However some of the failures were no doubt caused by him tossing them off his head in anger at a game. So I could not see spending crazy money on a nice set of Audezes. 😁
You need to get him a Gamer Helmet. Let him go crazy, with one of those puppies on. :thumbsup:

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #386 of 435
Dec 14, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #387 of 435
You need to get him a Gamer Helmet. Let him go crazy, with one of those puppies on. :thumbsup:

Yeah he's 16 so more about teaching him anger management. It's a parenting issue. 😅

Though would love to see the look on his face if I handed him a helmet. 🤣

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #388 of 435
The GX sounds like an LCD. Compared to the Mobius, it wins on technicalities and I'd say is one of the better tuned LCDs. Certainly it sounds more natural than the LCD2c.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #389 of 435
Every time I want to pull the trigger on the GX I see something that is a deal-breaker, like lack of dynamics, flat bland bass, ragged treble. Yet many praise it as the best balanced LCD. Confusing it is. Oh for the days of B&M shops where you could demo..

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #390 of 435
The GX sounds like an LCD. Compared to the Mobius, it wins on technicalities
Sounds like a definite killer, quality headphone for gaming(and music) then, assuming it has more soundstage space/air and imaging than the little Mobius. But for over double the price, not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back