Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
Jan 21, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #391 of 435
Every time I want to pull the trigger on the GX I see something that is a deal-breaker, like lack of dynamics, flat bland bass, ragged treble. Yet many praise it as the best balanced LCD. Confusing it is. Oh for the days of B&M shops where you could demo..

Ive had them for a few days now and haven’t found any of that. I’m also driving them though the Xbox controller since when I moved I lost my MCTH tube. If anything these give me the itch to want to one day upgrade to the MX-4.
I may pick up a ifi neo to go with them

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #392 of 435
Every time I want to pull the trigger on the GX I see something that is a deal-breaker, like lack of dynamics, flat bland bass, ragged treble. Yet many praise it as the best balanced LCD. Confusing it is. Oh for the days of B&M shops where you could demo..
Ive had them for a few days now and haven’t found any of that. I’m also driving them though the Xbox controller since when I moved I lost my MCTH tube. If anything these give me the itch to want to one day upgrade to the MX-4.
I may pick up a ifi neo to go with them

Had them for almost a year I think and feel the same way as Huntersknoll.
I like them better than de XC I had for music and enjoy them a lot for immersive gaming.
That means it sound about the opposite as Beagle has read, a nice, warmish (but not muddy) rich sound with more than enough detail and a large enough soundstage.
For competitive gaming you may want something with a bigger soundstage but for immersive gaming it's the max.
I'm driving them either out of a Jot (now Jot 2) or a Micro iDSD BL.

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #393 of 435

I pulled the trigger on the DT 1990 Pro and haven't looked back since. Driving them with the E30/L30 stack and using the Dekoni Elite Hybrids.

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #394 of 435

Let me assure you that the sound has decent detail retrieval.
This gear is trying to play neutral and it does.
It has a flat tonality, as its a gaming headphone that is designed to reproduce hyper energetic gaming music.
So, Audeze created it to have a neutral sound Sig to deal with gaming music, more perfectly.
The bass and treble are not elevated at all, so that give you the perception, when just using it to listen to music... that the mids are elevated,.... yet this is just how "neutral" always sounds.

The tone is warm centric, generally unlike other Audeze.
If you want the usual Audeze house sound then dont buy this Gear and dont buy the LCD-1.
The GX is a warm and neutral sounding headphone overall, with bass and treble that are not elevated.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #396 of 435
Hi I'm interested in the GX. I have the Aeon 2 noire and I'm missing dynamic slam, punch and impact. How well does the GX do that? Is it a big downgrade to the LCD2 classic?

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #397 of 435
The bass on the Classic is flatter and slams harder than the GX. That, along with the more recessed mids on the Classic, adds to that sense of bass impact. The GX comes off as more neutral (mid forward) by comparison.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #398 of 435
Focal Clear VS GX?

I talked to a dealer recently and asked if they have the GX. They said they will never have the GX, because of the "gamer" tag it has, and if someone can afford a GX they should just get an X/2/3/XC/etc instead. What a joke. Talking down a more affordable, possibly better-tuned headphone they have never. even. heard. :thumbsdown:

Edit: Got the Clear in today, and was very unimpressed. :frowning2: I would most certainly recommend trying a GX(or LCD-1) over a Clear, especially if it sounds anything like Mobius(excellent).

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #399 of 435
I got the GX recently and of all the cans I’ve tried over the past year or so these are the ones that surprised me the most. It’s unfortunate they do not seem to get more attention here. I really, really love the tonality of these; the mids are just fantastic (a bit forward) and the overall signature is very agreeable and non-fatiguing. They are also super light and comfortable (for an Audeze). Plus, I really like the look of them :)

May 26, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #400 of 435
It’s unfortunate they do not seem to get more attention here
I feel it's the same situation for Mobius, because of the gaming association. They sound excellent and perfectly balanced(but get sooo hot with those pads+closed back). Audeze is no joke with Mobius and GX.

May 26, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #401 of 435
For me I wouldn't ever consider purchasing a gaming headphone as no matter how you slice it, you are paying for technology you will never use. Regardless how good it sounds, there is no shortage of well tuned headphones at all price points these days so really no need to invest in technology that you will never use. Buying a gaming designed headphone for pure audio is not necessary, there are alternatives. I suspect Audeze is perfectly fine with the GX being a niche product, considering it is a rather substantial niche market.

May 26, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #402 of 435
For me I wouldn't ever consider purchasing a gaming headphone as no matter how you slice it, you are paying for technology you will never use. Regardless how good it sounds, there is no shortage of well tuned headphones at all price points these days so really no need to invest in technology that you will never use. Buying a gaming designed headphone for pure audio is not necessary, there are alternatives. I suspect Audeze is perfectly fine with the GX being a niche product, considering it is a rather substantial niche market.
Not really. It's still just a headphone, after all. These are unique products, at unique prices. Both are excellent sounding, lower priced options, if you can't pony up for an LCD-2/3/X. For competition with Mobius, I would only say HD660 or Erupt, and Mobius has the best, most balanced sound of the 3. What competes with the GX? Not sure. Ananda..? But I've heard the GX is quite good..! ^ ^ Oh, there is LCD-1, but I've seen unfavorable reviews. DT880/300 R is meh. Sundara too thin.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #403 of 435
The problem with the GX is the price. Most gamers aren't going to spend even half the cost. So it's niche within a niche. Unfortunate, since I think it's the best feeling LCD, and IMHO best looking.

Personally, I want a revision of the GX with a little more bass. It's got great bass quality, but could use a bit more fullness.

If Audeze can get it to about $700 or lower, that'd be even better. I know it's a big ask.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #404 of 435
True, I suspect you are correct that it is a niche within a niche, but I have to assume that Audeze understood this risk and their market analysis still concluded they could make a profit. Sometimes what happens is the cost of developing the technology is very high and the first generation product stemming from it requires a high price to recoup the investment but subsequent products can then be launched that benefit from the R&D while being sold for lower prices. Who knows, total speculation on my part, but if Audeze is really into the gaming marketplace I would have to think that they intend to produce more affordable options.

May 27, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #405 of 435
The problem with the GX is the price. Most gamers aren't going to spend even half the cost. So it's niche within a niche. Unfortunate, since I think it's the best feeling LCD, and IMHO best looking.

Personally, I want a revision of the GX with a little more bass. It's got great bass quality, but could use a bit more fullness.

If Audeze can get it to about $700 or lower, that'd be even better. I know it's a big ask.
Yeah, for the vast majority of gamers(casual and competitive/pro), price of it is a problem. Even the MSRP of HD660 or Mobius. But not for many of us die-hard hifi nerds. 🔊:older_man:🔊

Remove mic, add bass, change the color scheme, keep price, boom done. ^ ^

Anyone know - LCD-GX vs Arya..? I guess Arya has better bass still?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back