Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
Oct 12, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #361 of 435
I had plenty of consumer ones before, BW P7, PX, XM1000M3, Nuraphones.... But I always wanted to try something better... COVID forced me into daily vidconferences and started looking for headsets... and that was my downfall... Now I use the GX just as a HP as I prefer them over the LCD-2 classic as I find them very enjoyable but a tad on the warmer side.

Saddly living in europe has it's drawbacks, no Schiit here...

I tried the Hip-Dac and Zen Can both of them have a channel imbalance problem at low volume that I really hate. I can go up to 400€, but that still puts the Elements II out of range... another option would be to stack a D50 and A50 but then I run with some space issues. SMSL M500 but it's a pretty long brick and then the Pro-Ject Pre-Box S2 Digital but I heard mixed reviews of the headphone amp part plus the MQA issues....

I am going quite nuts... I also would love to have 4.4 pentacon output as all my good cables are in that format...

Slightly over the budget, almost double actually :) ... But ifi just released the new iDSD Micro Signature Edition (including 4.4mm balanced out now).

Not sure how easy is to get ifi products in EU though.

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #363 of 435
They are british so until Brexit gets done it's very easy... but the price.....
Yeah... It's not the most attractive price. But it is the swiss army knife of the portable Dac/Amps.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #365 of 435
I found this on their list of distributors:

https://www.schiit-europe.com/

http://schiit.eu.com/
Thx, already tried them but due COVID and the fires they have been out of stock for quite some time. :frowning2:

I just ordered the Fiio Q3 until I can find a better solution. 4.4, THX, small form factor and cheap. Will probably end getting the micro signature as it has all I need in a small package.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #366 of 435
So things went a bit out of hand... ended getting a Ifi micro iDSD BL.... went into a second hand website and found one in mint conditions... I'm loving the sound thru uapp with tidal, but I hate it when played thru the Tidal app on PC or Android...

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #367 of 435
So things went a bit out of hand... ended getting a Ifi micro iDSD BL.... went into a second hand website and found one in mint conditions... I'm loving the sound thru uapp with tidal, but I hate it when played thru the Tidal app on PC or Android...
Nice choice mate.

Interesting comment, can you tell us a bit more what are you hearing between sources? are you trying them with your GX?

I would say to try something like iDefender, iSilencer or Audioquest JitterBug. But I don't want to push too much. I think we can try a few more things and iDSD settings before going that way. Also, ifi's thread should have a few options or people whiling to help as well.

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #368 of 435
Nice choice mate.

Interesting comment, can you tell us a bit more what are you hearing between sources? are you trying them with your GX?

I would say to try something like iDefender, iSilencer or Audioquest JitterBug. But I don't want to push too much. I think we can try a few more things and iDSD settings before going that way. Also, ifi's thread should have a few options or people whiling to help as well.

Thanks, I'm playing the same song thru tidal and then tidal thru uapp and they sound different, take Blake Shelton's God's Country (Acoustic) the bells are missing at the start of the song and then at 0:45 while played thru Tidal and very prominent when played with uapp in the Note 10+ 5G and with Roon on my windows laptop.

I tested with a BTR5 connected via USB and with the Mobius and got the same results...

Don't know how to explain it better...

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #369 of 435
Thanks, I'm playing the same song thru tidal and then tidal thru uapp and they sound different, take Blake Shelton's God's Country (Acoustic) the bells are missing at the start of the song and then at 0:45 while played thru Tidal and very prominent when played with uapp in the Note 10+ 5G and with Roon on my windows laptop.

I tested with a BTR5 connected via USB and with the Mobius and got the same results...

Don't know how to explain it better...
well explained mate. Now makes sense to me what you're experiencing and it's actually a thing. I remember the same things on my Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt and someone around this forum helped me. Apple products shouldn't have this problem.

Below is from UAPP play store description.

"The MQA decoder will unfold the MQA stream from 44.1/48kHz to 88.2/96 kHz and can also be combined with certain USB DACs that feature an MQA renderer (e.g. AudioQuest DragonFly / iFi / Ztella DACs) for further unfolding to even higher sample rates.
Please visit http://mqa.co.uk for more information about MQA and https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/mqa to read more about MQA inside the app.

Note that the official Tidal app resamples audio back to 44.1/48kHz on many Android devices or upsamples to 96/192kHz when using a USB DAC and cannot deliver a bit-perfect signal for MQA rendering"

Oct 13, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #370 of 435
well explained mate. Now makes sense to me what you're experiencing and it's actually a thing. I remember the same things on my Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt and someone around this forum helped me. Apple products shouldn't have this problem.

Thx, was driving me nuts... Seems like it's time to pay for Roon, at least the UI is pretty good...

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #371 of 435
Today my LCD-GX's will arrive.
I'll try to mini-review them tomorrow.
Im very interested in auditioning this Gear, as every (trusted:wink: ) Utube reviewer with the exception of Joshua Valeur, thinks they are the most neutral and natural sounding Audeze "audiophile" Headphone yet to be created, tho marketed as a "Gamer".
I love that it has the LCD-X drivers, as this is a WIN.

Later,

-FB1

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #372 of 435
We await your findings with bated breath!

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #373 of 435
The LCD-GX

After listening to it....

Its a warm, mildly relaxed, quite natural, balanced, and enjoyable sound.
Bass is sold, mids are wide, and the treble is smooth.
The presentation of sound is not attempting to be hyper analytical or the utmost in resolution.

This is the closest an Audeze headphone can get to the Sennheiser HD6 sound...........so far.
This headphone has a very familiar Sennheiser sound, regarding the way it portrays the midrange and textural smoothness.
I'd say its similar to the HD600 sound but with much better bass response, similar but much smoother mids, and a much smoother treble response.
Cables are great.
Comfort is very good.
Excellent headphone for enjoying Vocals or acoustic instruments, especially.
Soundstage is not super wide, but its not tight or small.

I think that Audeze should have marketed this Gear as a "studio reference" headphone, as its quite flat and natural and mostly neutral.
It has the LCD-X Drivers, so, the bass is not lean and yet not overpowering.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #374 of 435
I think that Audeze should have marketed this Gear as a "studio reference" headphone
Because its nothing special in FPS games? Mediocre/average 3D imaging? Or you didn't test any games yet?

Dec 13, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #375 of 435
Because its nothing special in FPS games? Mediocre/average 3D imaging? Or you didn't test any games yet?

Im not a gamer...
Actually, i play "Aion", but, i dont use headphones..

So, i only bought these for the "Audiophile" experience.

Sorry that i can't completely help you with your question regarding "Gaming."

I think that Audeze created these to be really neutral, and un-hyped,, to allow a realiy transparent Gaming Sound and Experience to be revealed.
They are a very truthful sound, especially in the midrange, so they are not going to color the Gaming sound, they are only going to present it, as this is what they do for Music, in general, very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back