Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
Jul 9, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #346 of 435
I hear you, but does it EVER have a use case without a dedicated headphone amp? I mean, it's big, clunky, open, falls off the head easily... not exactly something you will take outside of the home often?

Haha. I meant to type a stationary dedicated headphone amp. I got this set to pair with a DAP primarily, which definitely has a decent amp section but isn't max power or anything. And even then there's still more than enough power after the EQ is engaged (which cuts the gain by at least 6dB).

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #347 of 435
Picked up a set during Moon Audio's recent sale, and it arrived this afternoon. Very comfortable and smooth frequency response for an LCD. Happier with it than when I had an LCD2c for a few months. I can see why a lot of reviewers want Audeze to replace the LCD2c with a reskinned GX. Maybe a LCD2X? Can it compete with my beloved Aeolus? Nope, but that's asking A LOT. What it does do is work better with all my usual devices that are not a dedicated headphone amp.
How does the sound signature and physical weight of the LCD-GX compare to that of the LCD2C?

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #348 of 435
How does the sound signature and physical weight of the LCD-GX compare to that of the LCD2C?

Much lighter. The magnesium makes a big difference. I can fall asleep with the GX on. The 2c would make my neck ache after awhile. The 2c takes the edge on looks, but I'll take a lighter LCD any day. If the GX didn't have the red accents, I might like it more.

Sound wise, from my memory the 2c wins on detail and dynamics, but the GX does well enough. The GX might take the edge on imaging and stage though, again they're very close. The treble extension of the GX I think helps with environmental cues. Speaking of which, the GX has the more overall natural frequency response. Similar to the LCD2c but tweaked enough to be a marked improvement. The mids aren't as shouty and the lower treble isn't as sucked out on the GX. So the GX wins on treble extension, but the 2c wins on sub-bass extension and tightness. Both share that warm, lush Audeze sound, but the GX is more balanced.

Honestly, the only thing I miss about the 2c is the sub-bass. The GX is no slouch ultimately, so I can EQ some bass below 60 hz back in, and since the GX is so easy to drive, I don't lose much headroom with the EQ gain drop.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #349 of 435
Edit: I have now used them for many weeks and I edited by review.

Hello everyone,

So I finally received my headset and I got to try it over the weekend. Result: I love them!

First, let me clear something out. I did NOT have the problem with the mic that someone mentioned. There is no sound leakage at all from the headset to the mic. The mic is barely OK though for a such an expensive headset. Very disappointed by that aspect. My teammates cannot hear me very well, the sound quality from the mic is poor.
I paired my LCD-GX with the Seinnheiser GSX 1000 dac/amp. They sound fantastic and not tiring at all. They are not bassy but the bass is present and very detailed. Listening to any song/music is a real pleasure.
In game performance is excellent as well, positional cues are transcribed perfectly. However I can say that for competitive gamers there are better options. Igame mostly with the Seinnheiser GSP 500, PC37X and MMX300.
I found the headset to be very comfortable but they are on the heavy side and will get you tired after a few hours.
All in all, I am satisfied with the purchase and glad that I did not encounter they other issues that people mentioned. If you are looking for value for money this is NOT it though. This is really for audiophiles who want the best from a headset whether it is for gaming or music. They are just great for music and CASUAL gamers. They are not good for pro gaming and extended sessions where you also need a good mic.

Just to give you a bit about my background: I own 15 headsets/headphones but the LCD-GX is the most expensive pair I have ever gotten:
I own the following: Audio Technical AD 700 and ATH ADG1x
Seinnheiser GSP 500, GSP 670 (wireless) and PC37X
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Beyerdynamic MX 300
Steel Series Artic Pro with a Dac and the wireless version as well. Steelseries Siberia.
Sony MDR MA 900
Audeze Mobius
V Moda Crossfade M 100
AKG K712 Pro
Bose Noise canceling Quiet Comfort 35
HyperX Cloud Flight
Hi everyone.

I edited my original post and I mostly downgraded my review of the pair. A few things are disappointing for such an expensive device.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #350 of 435
Hi everyone.

I edited my original post and I mostly downgraded my review of the pair. A few things are disappointing for such an expensive device.

Most people won't go back to the post. Can you re-post your review with the revisions? We can all do with honest views, given that most of the "reviewers" out there on Youtube have been gushing over this, except Linus who is not even an "audiophile" but called it for what it is.

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #351 of 435
Most people won't go back to the post. Can you re-post your review with the revisions? We can all do with honest views, given that most of the "reviewers" out there on Youtube have been gushing over this, except Linus who is not even an "audiophile" but called it for what it is.
You just have to Expand the quoted message in my previous post. It will show you the edited version.

Aug 13, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #352 of 435
Hi all - I'm hoping you can help with my line of thinking in relation to the GX.

While i've only becoming seriously involved in the hobby in the past 4-5 months, i'd move quite quickly in building out a setup that covers many use cases and scenario's for me. I've got the Utopia and Empyrean which operate at far ends of the spectrum and I love that. I've got my Stellia which I use in the office to close me in from the environment around me. And finally, i've got the HD6XX which were my first 'serious' headphone after my Bose 35's. While I enjoy the sound of the HD6XX, I am still, even after a few months finding them uncomfortable.

The use case for the HD6XX these days is watching youtube and media on my desk at home. I'm not using them for listening to music much, which might not be surprising when I have the Utopia and Empyrean to choose from. This leads me to looking for an upgrade to the HD6XX for youtube/media at my desk. This is where the GX comes into it. As we are working from home I am on calls all day, and i'm currently taking my headphones off to jump between calls through my speakers and headphones for music. I'm thinking the GX might be an all rounder for me.

• Work calls
  • General music listening for the home office
  • Youtube/media/movies

Neither my RME, V281, WA2 or Hugo 2 have a mic input, so I would most likely have to plug into my CalDigit TS3+ for calls, though I could just as easily switch between one of my higher end devices when not taking calls. I imagine this might be perceived as overkill, but the GX seems to cover most bases and should give me the option of perhaps replacing my Astro A50 on my PS4. The last part i'm less convinced of, as I love my Astro A50, but it's certainly an option. I don't want to put any unnecessary wear on my higher end gear for calls and youtube, so I think this might make a lot of sense.

I'm also just keen to own an Audeze and live with one for a while. I might upgrade from there (4z perhaps), but I am not a fan of the older headphone design and weight. I haven't jumped on the 4 or 4z yet as it might be redundant with my Empyrean.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #353 of 435
Anyone have experience with these directly plugged into an Xbox controller? Does it sound decent? Yeah, on PS4 I can run though my amp but not on Xbox and that is where all my friends play multiplayer games.

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #354 of 435
Anyone have experience with these directly plugged into an Xbox controller? Does it sound decent? Yeah, on PS4 I can run though my amp but not on Xbox and that is where all my friends play multiplayer games.
I've on Xbox and in terms of sound quality it's decent but my friends complain a little because the mic makes a static sound in background when i talk. The same sound like when you have a xbox controller plug in to recharge the battery if you know what i mean.

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #355 of 435
I've on Xbox and in terms of sound quality it's decent but my friends complain a little because the mic makes a static sound in background when i talk. The same sound like when you have a xbox controller plug in to recharge the battery if you know what i mean.

I know exactly what you are talking about haha.

Oct 11, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #357 of 435
I've got a quick question, I'm pretty new at this and I wanted to get an AMP/DAC for my GX, I was set on getting the Topping DX3 Pro v2 but after reading a few review they say that this AMP/DAC is not suitable for low impendence HP except that some other reviews say that planars should work without issues with the v2... Could anyone enlighten me? I My other option would be a portable solution like the Xduoo XD05 Pro as it's small and pretty powerful. I'm very limited in options as I have to buy it from a shop I already have credit and they don't have my initial option JDL Labds Element II or any of the Schiit, living in EU has it's drawbacks. Right now I own only 3 decent HP LCD-GX, Mobius and Fiio FH3, I am looking into adding some Sennheiser to the collection for christmas.

Thank you.

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #358 of 435
I've got a quick question, I'm pretty new at this and I wanted to get an AMP/DAC for my GX, I was set on getting the Topping DX3 Pro v2 but after reading a few review they say that this AMP/DAC is not suitable for low impendence HP except that some other reviews say that planars should work without issues with the v2... Could anyone enlighten me? I My other option would be a portable solution like the Xduoo XD05 Pro as it's small and pretty powerful. I'm very limited in options as I have to buy it from a shop I already have credit and they don't have my initial option JDL Labds Element II or any of the Schiit, living in EU has it's drawbacks. Right now I own only 3 decent HP LCD-GX, Mobius and Fiio FH3, I am looking into adding some Sennheiser to the collection for christmas.

Thank you.
You do have nice Headphones. Also had Audeze Mobius before.

Have you checked Schiit Hel. It was marketed together with Audeze GX at launch.

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #359 of 435
If I was looking at a sub-$200 amp, I'd probably be looking at the iFi Zen Can, if it's available.

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #360 of 435
You do have nice Headphones. Also had Audeze Mobius before.

Have you checked Schiit Hel. It was marketed together with Audeze GX at launch.

I had plenty of consumer ones before, BW P7, PX, XM1000M3, Nuraphones.... But I always wanted to try something better... COVID forced me into daily vidconferences and started looking for headsets... and that was my downfall... Now I use the GX just as a HP paired with a HyperX Quadcast mic. For next year I want ANC planars in a rather stylish package...

Saddly living in europe has it's drawbacks, no Schiit here...

If I was looking at a sub-$200 amp, I'd probably be looking at the iFi Zen Can, if it's available.

I tried the Hip-Dac and Zen Can both of them have a channel imbalance problem at low volume that I really hate. I can go up to 400€, but that still puts the Elements II out of range... another option would be to stack a D50 and A50 but then I run with some space issues. SMSL M500 but it's a pretty long brick and then the Pro-Ject Pre-Box S2 Digital but I heard mixed reviews of the headphone amp part plus the MQA issues....

I am going quite nuts... I also would love to have 4.4 pentacon output as all my good cables are in that format...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back